Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 177/150/125-130

Height: 5'6

Default Flagging motivation

Hi all,
I'm new 'round these parts, but so happy to have discovered such a safe and inviting place as 3FC . Reading your stories has been sooo inspirational to me and I could *really* use the inspiration right now!

I have been on this weightloss journey since September, when I was diagnosed with PCOS and my gyno strongly recommended losing the excess weight. I've been overweight all my life, but I have never actually tried losing weight in any sort of serious way until now -- I guess it took the shock of the diagnosis and the realization of the consequences if I didn't (i.e. harder time conceiving, increased risk of diabetes and heart disease, etc.). And I've been doing well up to now! - it's been slow going, with 1/2 to 1 lb. per week (but my doctor warned me that the weight loss would likely be slower with PCOS), but fairly steady...until 3 weeks ago. I just TOTALLY went off the rails.

I had lost the weight by calorie counting (1500 cals/day, recorded on FitWatch) and running 3 days a week, with 1-2 days/wk at Curves. I had been training for a 10K, and completed it 3 weeks ago! Unfortuately, also got tendinitis in my knee right after the race, and have not been able to run since...and it seems that once the exercise piece got lost, it all went to heck as I've spiralled into my old bad eating habits. I've estimated that I've eaten around 2000-2500 cals/day in the last two weeks. And not good calories, either. But like apple pie, chocolate bars, chips, and Coke-kind of empty calories.

So now, lovely ladies (and gents!) of 3FC, I need some words of inspiration! What do you find works for you when you get off track, to get your program back on track? I'm thinking of keeping my calorie intake in the 1300 range for the next little while as I know that my physical activity won't be back to normal until my knee feels better and I can get back to running. I know that I have to start tracking my calories again and I've already started that for today. I'm just afraid I'm not going to keep it up, though -- it's discouraging that months of trying to build new good habits has just gone by the wayside . Ok, I realize I'm just getting whiney

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your reading this. Looking forward to hanging out around here and learning from you all!

Rae
missrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there missrae,

Sounds like on some level you thought it was "time off"--because those pies, etc. don't magically appear...

So the first thing I'd suggest--is get all those high-calorie foods out of the house. If it isn't there, you can't eat it.

Make a list of better snacks that you could have, and get yourself a supply of them. Think of ways to have flavors you like without all the sugar and fats that you've been eating.

Think of other ways you could get some exercise besides running. For example, some people find that a stationary bike will work--but you wouldn't want to do it if there was any pain, of course. Use hand weights to work your upper body muscles. And what about water exercise? Not where you would have to be kicking hard, but other kinds of movements. What does your doctor say about exercise and your knee? Is there anything you could do, even if you had to wrap the knee, that would work?

Those are just a few ideas--the main thing is that less exercise and more calories is not the way to go, as you know. So you have to find a way to reverse at least one of them, and food is easiest right now.

Good luck! Don't give up!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/205/137

Height: 5' 6"

Hi missrae. That sounds exactly like how I got on my current journey. I was diagnosed with PCOS, and all those possibilities sounded frightening to me (though I really don't want to have a kid, now, lol, I would like to have the option at some point). That was the kick that started me, though I've since found that it was a much milder form than my gyno originally thought.

I'd been taking a yoga/pilates class, and I started exercising a lot more. I really enjoyed the yoga class, and oddly enough, I am competitive by nature (though I know that's not the point of yoga), and I was getting aggravated that the smaller people could do it much better than I could, even though we'd been doing it about the same length of time. So in addition to lowering my weight to feel good and to look good, and to control my symptoms, I wanted to lose weight so I could do yoga better! I just keep thinking of all the things I can do better and how much better I'll look. And then I think about all the bragging rights I have.

Look at things that motivate you. When I first started watching what I ate (this time around), one of the things I did differently was to obsessively look up weight loss success stories or sites that are about how to lose weight and be healthier, and that sort of thing. There are millions of them, and many of them you can't help but feel like you want to get up and do something good for your body. One place in particular that I like is The How to Think Thin Blog. There are a lot of good tips there.

And hang around here! Even though I've only been here a short while, after my weigh ins on Mondays, I can't weight to update my ticker, and see what people say about what sort of exercises, and the mini victories and major victories, and yes, even what motivates them. Tis a very helpful place. I have to lose a lot of weight, but there are people who are trying to lose the same amount as I am, and there are some who weigh about the same as me, and there are some who have lost that weight, and there are some who were in my place months ago, and I can see how well they are doing and how well I will be doing when I get to that point in my journey.

Last edited by Fooled; 05-01-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Fooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:18 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Welcome missrae. I'm sorry to hear that your running is sidelined for the time being. But like has already been mentioned there are other forms of exercise that can be done in it's place.

It sounds like going back to tracking your calories is a great idea. It's worked for you in the past, it'll work for you again. This is a long journey we're on, forever in fact. There are bound to be some slip ups. We just have to do our best to keep them to a minimum. As far as motivation goes, well it's definitely going to come and go. What's more important IMO is COMMITMENT. The motivation may wane, but that commitment must remain steadfast. That's what will get you back on track when you've fallen and keep you on track for the most part. It's just too important for it to be otherwise.

I find for myself planning ahead really works. I keep my home stocked with delicious, healthy foods. I plan for what I am eating about a week in advance. Right down to the snacks. Some people like to make a bunch of food at a time and freeze it in portions so it's good to go at any time. Just knowing that I have healthy, scrumptious foods waiting for me really helps to keep me in line. Why would I have to go off plan when on plan is so good? The results are so worth it.

You CAN do this. Good luck to you!!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote