Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/218/169

Height: 5'9"

Default Anyone walking the 3 day?

Hi,

I'll be walking the breast cancer 3 day in Michigan in September. I'm very excited about the journey and a little overwhelmed by the fundraising. I think that the training will keep me in line. I'm hoping to find any 3 day walkers out there that would like to share the journey.
Shrinking Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #2  
it's always something

How interesting I've never heard of it before, so I just checked out their website. 3 days of camping and walking and sharing stories and a portable shower on a truck It really looks like a great experience, for a great cause!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #3  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

This year I'll be doing my 5th and 6th 3 day. This year I'm crewing in Michigan (3rd year on the motorcycle/bicycle route safety team) and also crewing in Cleveland. This event will really change your life so congratulations for signing up.

I know there are others on this site involved with the walk but cant think of screen names right now. If you have any questions I'm more than happy to share the info I know. I have walked and crewed both.

Suzanne-You have no idea how nice those semi truck showers are after 20 miles in 90 degree weather. The stories are what are life changing. I have so many memories from each walk and they are all special.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #4  

ArtsyGirl,

Wow! You're doing your 5th and 6th 3 day and crewing too. What an accomplishment!!

How closely did you follow the training? Did you feel prepared for the first one? How do you manage raising donations for more than one at a time? Do you have any tips for raising donations? What should I know about packing to make the trip more enjoyable (I do not have camping experience)?

I'm so excited to know that a fellow 3FC will be there!

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:56 AM   #5  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

ShrinikingMama-I'm just crewing this year (not walking at all). That allows me to fundraise for both events but not have a set $ amount I need to get to. The letters/emails to friends and family is a great start. You can approach businesses in your community and ask for their support. Garage sales are a great fundraiser-make sure you have lots of signs saying all proceeds benefit the Breast Cancer 3 day. Some people will give you a donation on top of what they purchase. I'm a jewelry artist so I've done raffles with my work. At the 3 day website lots of people sell items at cost that you can resell to help fundraise. Golf outings, tea parties, etc. seem to go very well as well. Really the fundraising is as limitless as your imagination.

For training make sure you include LONG walks. Your feet will do so much better as far as blisters are concerned. I didn't do lots of the organized training walks simply because I dont live close to most of them. I walked everyday and felt prepared but blisters were an issue. Thankfully I could still walk with them. I would strongly recommend attending at least one formal training walk. You'll meet people who will be on event and have lots of fun. Did you joing a team or just sign on as an individual? You may be asked to join a team if you attend some of the pre-walk events. They're a great way to form a support structure for on event. I'll definetly be cheering for you too.

For packing. Some people do air mattresses. I can sleep just about anywhere so I just bring my sleeping back and just enough clothes for the event. Do bring 2 pairs of shoes and many pairs of socks so you can rotate and always keep your feet dry on to help prevent the blisters. A flashlight is a big one. Sleeping tents can be far from the main tents and the grounds have yet to be well lit. I'm sure I'll think of more suggestions but I need to go meet my walking buddy so I'll be back.

Have fun.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #6  

Thank you for the wonderful tips. It's so exciting to hear from someone with the inside scoop.

I am on a team with four people. I am signed up for a focus meeting and am hoping to do a formal training walk in the next couple of weeks. It looks like there are at least two groups near by that are starting to list walks on the calendar. I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow walkers ahead of time.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as they come to me. I'd love to hear any more suggestions that you have to share. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 146/135/122

Height: 5'4"

Hi! I did the breast cancer 3 day in 2002. It was a wonderful experience. My only real real really helpful tip was socks. I found these socks for runners at a Sport Mart. They were recommended by the clerk because they do not let your feet become wet from sweat (which aids in the blister creation). They are a MIRACLE. I still wear them for working out because they are GENIUS. They are a bit expensive but I did not have a single foot problem.
seagreenwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

You'll have a great time. I did the Tampa Bay 3-day last year. It was AMAZING. I am toying with the idea of walking again this year.

Try to follow the recommended training program, especially the long walks. I went on several 17, 18, and 20 mile training walks and the event was a total breeze for me. I also took very good care of my feet and didn't have a single blister.

Buy some Body Glide and several pairs of high quality, wicking socks. Each morning of the 3-Day I would coat my feet in Body Glide before putting on my shoes and socks. At lunch I would remove my shoes and socks, let my feet breath for a bit, reapply Body Glide and then put on a fresh pair of socks. I did this all three days and had zero blisters.

The mobile showers are actually very nice. I never ran out of hot water and I wasn't rushed to take a short shower. After walking all day and being covered in sweat and road grime, a long shower felt so good. The food was surprisingly good, too. I expected it to be terrible but it wasn't bad! Not gourmet by any means, but certainly edible (especially after you've spent 20 miles working up an appetite!).
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Congratulations on taking this on! I am walking a half marathon for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society on June 23 - and now it seems short compared to the 3 day event. I second all the advice you've been given, esp as to wearing wicking socks. Also drink lots of water. Don't know what they do about bathrooms on the 3 day walks. I know ours has porta-potties along the route. I've been doing long walks for training, and I have to plan my route around bathrooms! I hate trying to find a place to duck off the road

I did find the fund-raising aspect rather daunting to start, but we had several meetings about how to do it, plus we've done several team events. We had a spaghetti feed with a silent auction, and have a garage/yard sale on 5/19, at which we'll be doing a treadmill marathon (with several walkers/runners) that people can donate to. I actually have raised my goal, plus more than 50% more, most of it from family and friends. My advice is to write a great letter and send it to everyone you know. I was amazed by the response. Good luck.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote