South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Question Help Choosing Meal to Bring to Ill Friend?

Hi! I need your help...especially those of you who have children that are picky eaters...

I'm in a local club and one of the things we do is bring meals to members who are ill or have had a baby recently. Our president had a heart problem last week that landed her in the hospital. She's at home now, but she has two rambunctious toddlers and so we're bringing meals over to help her out while she tries to rest. The thing is, her kiddos are picky (whose aren't?) and I'm totally clueless on what to make!

They've had ham and scalloped potatoes, chicken cutlets, and spaghetti and meatballs already this week. The kids like roasted chicken and mac and cheese. I don't mind making two dishes...like one with almost no ingredients for the kids and add ingredients to something for the parents...but I'm totally clueless on what to even start with.

I'd LOVE suggestions...and they don't have to be SBD safe. This family is eating pretty much all the stuff we don't. My chance to use up leftover pasta, bread crumbs, or whatever, I guess!

Thanks so much ...no need to post recipes (though that would be helpful, if you have time)...just suggestions for types of food I might be able to make. I'd like to make something that makes enough for two nights for their family of four.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #2  

The tough part is that picky kids are picky in different ways. It seems like pasta is a safe bet from what you have described. I've even sometimes made a pasta dish with a sauce or veggies that I know Brian won't eat and I'll separate the pasta and use regular spaghetti sauce with it on his portion. Many toddlers like stuff they can pick up. Penne pasta or macaroni works well. Many will eat broccoli florets if they are small enough. Fruit also works well but keep choking hazards in mind if they are really little.

If you know that the adults like eggplant parmesan, you could make that for the adults and serve pasta for the kids.

It's been a long time since I had a toddler so maybe one of our newer moms has better suggestions.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #3  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I saw this and wanted to make it even though I don't have any kids!
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/32698/
Old 03-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Thanks, those are great ideas!!!

Do you think kids would like ricotta cheese? Hmmm....I figure the broccoli would be easy to pick out if they don't like it.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285~286~185

I've had to come up with quick easy meals that my toddler will eat. She'll eat just about everything provided there is no sauce, and cut up so she can easily manipulate a fork (she's 3). So when I make beef noodle bowl for my husband and daughter, I pile a bit of noodles on the plate, then some broccoli and carrots, and then the beef, cut small. Another safe bet is mac&cheese-- serve with a veggie and a fun fruit with dip (I make a really easy peanut butter dip-- 2T peanut butter with 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt). She LOVES to dip her fruit in it. Also, I cut her sandwiches in to more managable and fun sizes. I use cookie cutters for them, and it makes it fun because she'll have a flower or a teddy bear for a lunch. My toddler will eat anything, provided it is fun looking. For the adults-- hm. I haven't had more than 20 minutes to make healthy meals in some time, so I"m out of ideas here.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Most of the little ones I know love homemade chicken noodle soup, with lots of noodles. Pork or chicken lo mein is a big hit, too. My granddaughters love mini meatballs or mini hamburgers and will happily eat almost anything breaded.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

Trying to think of what we ate growing up and I was (still am?) a picky eater.

If the kids like pork chops: brown pork chops (bone-in or boneless), put in a crockpot (ot stove top, but I love the ease of crock pot cooking) with a can of cream of mushroom soup, half a can of water and one cracked garlic clove. Cook all day on low.

You could also make a big pot of potato soup or chili (not too spicy for the kids), add a loaf of crusty bread, and a bag of salad green and they would have a warm and cozy dinner.

You say the kids like roast chicken, you could make that (or buy one!) and serve it with baked or mashed potatoes and green beans.

This is a yummy, easy recipie for Chicken and Dumplings:
1 whole store-bought roast chicken (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 container (7 ounces) chopped onions
6 cans (14 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 container (14 ounces) pre-cut carrot sticks, chopped
1 container (14 ounces) pre-cut celery sticks, chopped
1 roll (16.3 ounces) golden buttermilk biscuit dough
1 can (10.5 ounces) condensed chicken gravy

Remove skin from chicken and shred meat into large pieces. Set aside.
In a small frying pan, add vegetable oil and heat over medium heat. When oil is hot, add chopped onions and saute until soft.

In a large pot or Dutch oven, add broth, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, carrots, celery, and sauteed onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for about 10 minutes to soften vegetables, and then add shredded chicken. Continue to simmer while making dumplings.

While stew is simmering, prepare dumplings. Open can and remove biscuits. On a lightly floured surface, roll each biscuit to 1/4-inch thick. With a knife, cut each biscuit into 4 pie-pieces. Set aside.

Skim surface for any scum that has risen to top. Stir in chicken gravy.

With the stew still simmering over low heat, stir in dumplings a few at a time. Once all dumplings are in to pot, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 10 minutes.

Ladle into bowls and serve piping hot.

Sorry most of these are all off plan, but you said it would be ok!

Ally
Old 03-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Thanks for the great ideas, chickies!

Turned out that someone else brought her a meal that day, so I was off the list...but two of our women have had babies recently, so I'm going to have to make something for them soon. I really appreciate the great ideas!

Erinid, I want to come eat at your house...everything you serve your daughter sounds yummy and FUN!!! :
Old 03-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7.5"

something Simple Maybe...chicken Noodle Soup W/veg.and A Nice Loaf Of Frech Bread...
Closed Thread