Old 03-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #1  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Funny NSV!

I had a bit of a scare this morning that turned into an NSV, and I thought I'd share here in case anyone wants a laugh at my expense. I know I sure got a good chuckle out of it.

Hypothyroidism runs in my family, so I'm always paranoid that I'm going to develop it. This morning, when I woke up, I was touching my neck and realized that the base of it was strangely swollen on either side.

"A goiter!" I thought, alarmed. I made plans to go to the doctor tonight and get retested for hypothyroidism.

It was only when I looked in the mirror a half an hour later that I realized that the "strange lumps" were actually my sternocleidomastoid muscles, those neck muscles that go from jaw to the inner collarbone. Guess I hadn't felt my neck in awhile. Oh, me.

So, apparently I've lost weight in my neck / my neck muscles are getting stronger...definite NSV there!
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Haha! Congrats! I know how you feel.... I keep on finding these bones and whatnot I never knew I even had.......
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #3  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

That's too funny!!! Aren't you glad you realized it before you went to the doctor's? I can see the report now. "Pt thought she had a goiter, but "lumps" are really muscle. Possible hypochondriac?" Just kidding! But you definately made me laugh! Great NSV!!!
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #4  
Chuggin' along...

Good one! I've read a few NSV victories like that on the forum, I think. Funny how our re-emerging body parts surprise and alarm us so much.

Awesome job!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:59 AM   #5  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

That is too funny. I went through a similar experience when I started running a while back. I was shaving my legs and suddenly found my calves! There was muscle there where there had been none and I thought for sure I had pulled the muscle and it was swollen or something. But nope I HAD NICE CALVES!
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

LOL, that is very funny. It seems weird to me when I find things like collar bones. I'm like wow I didn't know I had those.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote