Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default Weight loss supplements -- Fed Trade Commission Says NO

It's not "new news" but the FTC has fined the big makers of weight loss supplements for false advertising. They found NO research to indicate that the products worked.

"The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reached settlement agreements in four separate cases alleging deceptive marketing, including insufficiently supported claims, for four weight-loss supplements—Xenadrine EFX, CortiSlim, TrimSpa and One-A-Day Weight Smart..."

"You won’t find weight loss in a bottle of pills that claims it has the latest scientific breakthrough or miracle ingredient," said Deborah Platt Majoras, chairman of FTC. "Paying for fad science is a good way to lose cash, not pounds."

Full article here:
http://www.naturalproductsinsider.co...1h4142530.html

Unfortunately, none of the products will be pulled from the shelves...

caveat emptor.

Last edited by Heather; 01-04-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I read the Associated Press article on USA Today on this subect today. My favorite part was: "...the FTC investigation found that the marketers of Xenadrine had a study that said those who took a placebo actually lost more weight than those taking the pill."

How the creators/marketers of these products sleep at night, I don't know.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, I thought about noting that part too, but decided not too...

What amazes me is that they make all these false claims, and they are not the only ones. How many other products out there (for weight loss or not) do the same? They can just basically lie to us and there's little we can do about it.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/206/150

Height: 5' 4"

is is amazing that these companies can make claims and have no substantial data behind it. if it seems to good to be true..........
Old 01-05-2007, 11:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/158/138

Height: 5'2"

how do i get those progress bars you all display?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
It's not "new news" but the FTC has fined the big makers of weight loss supplements for false advertising. They found NO research to indicate that the products worked.

"The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reached settlement agreements in four separate cases alleging deceptive marketing, including insufficiently supported claims, for four weight-loss supplements—Xenadrine EFX, CortiSlim, TrimSpa and One-A-Day Weight Smart..."

"You won’t find weight loss in a bottle of pills that claims it has the latest scientific breakthrough or miracle ingredient," said Deborah Platt Majoras, chairman of FTC. "Paying for fad science is a good way to lose cash, not pounds."

Full article here:
http://www.naturalproductsinsider.co...1h4142530.html

Unfortunately, none of the products will be pulled from the shelves...

caveat emptor.
Why should these products be pulled from the shelves?

I can tell you that Xenadrine does assist in weight loss if you're combining it with workout/exercise.

I can also tell you that from my personal experience with Trimspa, it infact does work. There's no gimmick about it. It has Hoodia, which does make me feel full, and it has chromium which is important in proper metabolism function. Taking the pill by itself isn't going to make you just drop weight. However, if you overeat or want to control your eating for whatever reason, the hoodia is great for that. The rest of the ingredients, I can't really say... I just know that combining it with a healthy lifestyle works.

You'll never take a pill and shed pounds... so in that respect, yeah, none of these products work. I can't say much for Cortislim and I'd probably never try it either. Although the one a day weight smart I believe is like a multi vitamin, probably with some other stuff added to support weight loss... There are many one a day's, not just the one for weight support.

I guess I just wish more people wouldn't have this idea that OMG I took this pill, yet didn't change my lifestyle, and nothing happened, it must not have worked!

Most diet pills are to assist, not do something all on their own. Sometimes I feel like not many people understand this.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #7  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeoboy24 View Post
You'll never take a pill and shed pounds... so in that respect, yeah, none of these products work.
See that's the problem... Most people that buy those products are really just looking for a miracle in a pill. They are not willing to make lifestyle changes and are looking for an easy out. But if you are willing to make the lifestyle changes, then you don't even need a pill. Why take pills that have the potential to harm your health, and aren't even proven to work, if you don't have to?

These products are in trouble because the claims they made were not true. You point out that lifestyle changes are necessary. Exercise. Eat better. But the trick isn't to do those things in conjunction with a diet pill. The pill adds nothing to your success. It's all in the exercise and diet. Once again, why bother taking the pill?

Hoodia in trimspa? It turns out that it isn't really hoodia. All you get are a bunch of stimulants. The weight loss support from Weight Smart One a Day? Nope - does nothing. Take a regular One a Day instead, and quit paying for false hope.

That's why we do not and never will support the use of these products on this forum.
Closed Thread