Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #1  

Default New to Core questions

I thought since I am so new to Core, and keep bombarding all you patient people with questions, it might make sense to centralize them on a new thread.

So, does anyone actually go an entire week without ANY bread, crackers, graham crackers, English muffins, waffles, etc. This was one of the reasons I was very reluctant to try Core. I understand I can use the Flex points to cover these, but was concerned I would run out before holding out for a treat, like a little bit of ice cream or something like that.

Is anyone a vegetarian/mostly vegetarian? Anyone eating a lot of tofu or other meat substitutes? Everyone in my family is completely veg., I am the only one fallen off the wagon (after 20+ years, so it's a big change for me).

What about eating out? Is it really difficult to be successful with that?

Old 09-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #2  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Yes it is absolutely possible to go thru life without any white carbs! It can be done - just takes a bit of getting used to? Of course you can certainly use your extra points on whatever it is you're hankering for!

I am not a vegetarian but see no problem doing that on core? (do you eat fish? eggs?)

As for eating out - also doable - just have to ask a few questions and make sure you get what you want. All basic proteins are core - so you can eat chicken, steak, fish, seafood - just need to be careful of how it's prepared or sauces/butter etc. I often eat out and stay pretty 'core" - eg. at Red lobster - salad w/dressing on the side (ff), shrimp skewers (grilled) w/steamed veggies and baked potato (butter/sour cream on the side if you like). Steakhouses would also be a good bet - I know Vickie will be able to give you more 'restaurant guidance".

Even italian places that have whole wheat pasta are possible!

Froufie
Old 09-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 10"

First - eating out. Personally I have no problems with going out to dinner. Most places have salads which can be topped with grilled steak, shrimp or chicken. Salads with nuts and cheeses can also be custom ordered to exclude those. Other dining out ideas - grilled protein (again, chicken, steak, fish, shrimp), baked potato and steamed veggies or veggies prepared with little fat or a side salad. Check on mashed potatoes as well - a few restaurants I go to just mash up the potatoes - not alot of other stuff added.

We do eat out at least twice on the weekend, and I have't run into may problems getting things cooked the way I like.

As far as bread ect. check out low carb, high fiber, low sugar breads. You'll need to use points but use 1 instead of 2. For meals, try adding brown rice, whole wheat pasta and couscous to your meals. Breakfast - check out the receipes here, there are alot of muffin/cake type things that can be made with oatmeal. This week I made the apple cake for snacking, I also have a pumpking snack bread recipe that is quite good.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #4  
banned

elana-
elcome! no bread? no way! every day i either eat 2 sl ww bread or 2 sl. freihoffer extra fiber wheat@ lunch and i actually go over my points bc of wekend treats but thats why i try to stay active
Old 09-29-2006, 08:00 AM   #5  

I have been a "whole grains" convert for years--no white bread for eating, no white flour for baking, no white pasta ever. My challenge is the whole grain stuff I like for breakfast that isn't Core (Kashi GoLean waffles, cereal that isn't Shredded Wheat, multigrain English muffins--1 pt. but not Core).

Today I had leftover cooked quinoa with extra milk as a bkfst cereal. It was a good idea because it made me realize any hot whole grain would work--it doesn't have to be an official "hot cereal". I always have bulgur, millet and ww couscous around the house so I will probably move toward using these more as a breakfast base (with extra fruit and milk).

So far, Core has been hard to get used to. I guess after so much time on Flex (since May 2004), it's just hard to use such a different plan. I am hoping it will make a difference--I am up a few pounds over where I want, tho. still below my official goal. But those pants are tighter than they should be!
Old 09-29-2006, 09:16 AM   #6  
Southside White Sox Fan

Elana, I eat some type of bread every week but not every day. That and smart balance margarine are primarily what I spend my points on. I eat the occasional WW mint patty or WW dessert. The 35 WPA's do go fast if you try to "eat" a meal with them as opposed to filling up on good Core food first and then just supplementing with non-Core stuff. If you do it that way, you'll be able to have some ice cream once in a while. If it's important to you then you should plan to have it. It's all about choices. You could also exercise to earn yourself some extra treat. I try not to use my AP's since I have such a sad old metabolism.

I eat out alot and am very good at getting a great Core meal. Most restaurants are willing to prepare to order and are anxious to keep your business. I have no trouble concocting a core meal. I'm not sure where you live but a large chain, Texas Road House, has sweet potatoes available as a choice. You do have to be careful at steak houses since some put butter on the steaks and chops when they take them off the grill. I always order my veggies steamed no butter since steamed doesn't mean that they don't but any butter on. I have tupperware midgets which I carry with me to restaurants. I carry my smart balance margarine, FF sour cream if I'm having a baked potato, and have been known to carry in my own homemade applesauce when going out for pork chops! Many italian restaurants are now serving whole wheat pasta and making heart healthy dishes with olive oil. Sometimes I just encourage them to only use 2 tsp instead of more. I have a restaurant near me that serves sirloin burgers. I bring a piece of FF Borden american cheese with me and put it on top when they serve the burger. I tell them never to butter the bun on the days that I decide to have one. Many places offer fresh fruit instead of fries. For breakfast I order eggbeater omelets with ham (if it's off the bone) or canadian bacon and avocado. Last week I splurged on turkey sausage, avocado, and this place makes the best homemade salsa that is very spicy. I had them cook the salsa in with the turkey sausage and avocado. It was excellent. I also tell them Pam spray, no butter in the pan. Instead of toast and potatoes, I got fruit. You just have to stick to your guns. I look for any item on the list that could be modified and I give it a shot. I also usually go when it's not peak hours so that they have more time for special order. I become a regular and then they really don't mind cooking special for me since I'm a regular customer.

I can't help you with the vegetarian angle since I am no where near a vegetarian! Kathy can help you with that. I have had some amazing salmon if you eat that. I tell them to broil it dry to medium and it gets a little crispy because of all the natural fat. Yum!

Good Luck!
Old 09-30-2006, 07:53 PM   #7  

These are great suggestions. I was thrilled when Olive Garden switched to ww pasta and added the fish entrees. I am OK with eating breakfast out (oatmeal, eggbeaters, fruit, etc). but I think my big stumbling block right now is not eating enough at lunch. Then I get very hungry by late afternoon and get tempted into some bad choices.

Today I was more successful--I had salmon for lunch so I stayed full for longer. I think I will eat a fish lunch more often--it seems to help.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

Elana, I eat 3 meals and usually 2 snacks. I find that if I keep small amounts in my stomach at all times I avoid eating past satisfied since I'm SO hungry.
Closed Thread