Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #1  

Default pancreatitus

I have been recently diagnosed with pancreatitus. I am miserable and so very sick of jello. can anyone give me any tips for living with this. I would like to get to a point where a turkey and cheese sandwich didnt cause me a whole days worth of pain. I am looking for any tips, recipes, recommended food lists, anything you have got.
Thanks
Tara
bgbrwnys101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #2  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

sorry to hear this. my fil has suffered from this multiple times! I think its basically a trial and error thing to see what will not cause you pain. I know he had a lot of jello, broth, stuff like that. just gotta try and see what works best for you! Also try boneless, skiness chicken, anything not greasy or fried or spicy! I know it can be tough!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #3  

bgbrwnys101,
What type of pancreatitis do you have, acute or chronic? I have acute and had it 4 times last year. Each time I would have to go on a liquid diet for a couple weeks and ease back into normal foods. Mostly I would eat broth based soups and like fatt_lady said ease into things like plain chicken, etc. Anyway, let me know, and we'll talk!
kalishea
kalishea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #4  
Really need to lose!

S/C/G: 255/255/160

I'm so sorry to hear about your pancreatitis, but the jello is the best thing for you right now. I had a devastating bout with pancreatitis about 12 years ago when I spent 2 weeks in the hospital and they discovered that I was diabetic. According to my husband, I was in pretty bad shape and they were afraid they were going to lose me with my glucose levels at about 700 and triglycerides at about 2700. Anyway, to make a long story short, I left the hospital after 2 weeks on a liquid diet and spent another 2 weeks at home trying to eat soft foods without throwing up. I get frequent bouts of pancreatitis even now and the only way to calm them down is to quit eating for a few days and only drink clear liquids. My doctor said that this is about all they do when you are in the hospital (force you to have a liquid diet), and I really hate the hospital. So talk to your doctor and see if he has any other suggestions. Good luck and hang in there!
WannaBeFit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #5  

You guys are great, I am sorry I was looking so hard for support and answers, and getting depressed taht I forgot about this post, are you all still here? I would love to chat, compare notes and stories, whatever...
Tara
bgbrwnys101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:28 PM   #6  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 265/234/150

Height: 5'7"

I had my second run-in with pancreatitis this summer. They've done ultrasounds, MRI's, CT's, bloodwork, and can't figure out why. My triglycerides are close to normal, my gallbladder seems to be fine, there's nothing structurally wrong with my pancreas... but I also have PCOS so I'm forced to wonder if it's a doomed little organ!

I am on a diet of 13-15g of fat per day, no more than 10% calories from fat. I find myself "saving up" my fat grams to use in one meal and I know that's bad but sometimes I just need something resembling real food! I thought I'd found nirvana with baked potatoes and fat-free sour cream, but potatoes are bad for my PCOS and we are trying to conceive. It's a constant tightrope walk, isn't it?

I've considered WW, but I don't know if it's compatible with very low-fat diets like this. I feel like I don't fully fit in anywhere in terms of diets. It sure keeps me on my toes though!
Amberlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/236/130

Height: 5'2"

hi sorry you had to encounter the pacreatitis..i too have had 2 bouts with it. only after being tested for something else.i had barium swallow done at that evening i had the worst pain i ever felt. the dr admitted me and found a small mass in the pancreas.i has a RNY years ago sosurgery would have been 50/50 dangerous for me.food has always been a issue . so be care and take it easy. hopefully you wont have to have that kind of pain again.talk with your dr.
annette
beautyinabox is offline   Reply With Quote