Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 11:23 AM   #16  

I don't even know what to type because there aren't any words that describe what I am feeling. Deep sadness, fear, my faith in many things I believed in yesterday was shattered......

My best friend, her husband and new baby were in NYC with her husband attending a job interview in Manhattan. She called me at 5pm last night when she finally heard from him. I only know of one other person who is still missing but I'll keep my fingers crossed for a miracle. Not someone I knew directly but someone close to my sisters.

Thanks for worrying JS. I join Juno in my thoughts as to what kind of world I belong too. I watched the whole thing live while sitting at the table feeding daycare kids breakfast. I was at a loss as to what to say when they were asking me what was happening. How can you explain something so horrible you can't believe you are seeing it????
Old 09-13-2001, 01:07 PM   #17  

As with all of you, I'm at a loss for words. It really makes you take stock of your own life and actions. I pray for our nation and our friends around the world. There are so many heros out there - it makes me proud of our country.

I've been swamped with life, but am grateful for that. I am glad to hear that all of you are doing well and keeping up with your own schedules. Raychel - I am still sooooo jealous of your new job. That is so wonderful to pursue your dream.

I'm running in a 5K in a couple of weeks. So, I HAVE to be disciplined and run everyother day. It's been hard to get back on the running circuit. But in the past couple of days it has also been a good stress-relief, and an opportunity to think about things.

I will check in again. God bless America!
Old 09-16-2001, 01:57 PM   #18  

Default What is the 5% Club?

Hi. Can someone tell me what this group is? I am searching for the right fitness/diet support group for me...
Old 09-21-2001, 04:53 AM   #19  
Juno

Hi friends, and welcome Miss Nadine. This is a great group, and we have been sharing here for over three years (wow!) - the 5% club refers to the statistic we always hear, that only 5% of the population will make that permanent change and maintain weight loss. Instead of being daunted by that, this group sees the possibility - if 5% can do it, it is possible, and we mean to BE in that 5%. Our spirit is proactive. We recognize that life is cyclical. We welcome you if you are of the 5% mindset!!! (Or we'll help you get there!!!)

Well - what a week in the history of the world. I know that the emotions and fears of the past 10 days have been shared by all of us across not just the USA but all over the world. A friend emailed me early on and asked if I felt "safe and cut off from it all, living up in Alaska." I was amazed that anyone could possibly think that. I don't think Antarctica would be far enough away to buffer those intense feelings. I'll not use this forum to go on and on about it - except where it relates to why we gather - health and fitness. I have to say that the very idea of typing "I ate this" and "I worked out doing such and such" - seemed so trivial in those first hours. In fact all my daily pursuits just seemed to empty and almost embarrassing.

The weekend before we finally traded in the total junker washer and dryer and got some sparkly new ones - okay not a lifetime high for anyone with an interesting life, but anyone who has dealt with junker machinery can appreciate New Appliance Heaven. I had washed everything in the house in one day - past clothes and sheets and into accent pillows, the contents of the linen closet, etc. After the tragedy I was ashamed of my "Tide commercial" giddiness over a Thing, and couldn't even look at them. I needed my family close, and kept my girls close to the home front.

JS it was very meaningful to get your post at the get-go. What a tremendous neighbor we have in your splendid country.

In those days since, my fear and despair has turned hopeful, though measured and guarded. What will happen? It seemed that I would never turn my mind back to fitness and health again, but in fact that turned out to be a big source of strength. My emotional reaction and all the tears and fears caused my DH to say "You need to get to the club and just work out!" Sound advice from a good man. Instead of a special workout my decision was to do a zen buffer thing - just move, just move, just move. I did not count calories or give a fig about food or abs or delts or triceps or...or...or... - just the release and the balancing action of moving that body when it needs to be moved. It helped.

But - new news! As you know I have long been attending the "no-frills" health club. Nothing fancy, but it meets my needs. the "good" club is actually (slightly) closer to my house, but the cost and initiation fee has always kept me frugally buffing away at little Bodyworks. However: the club is having a special this month - half price on the initiation fee, bringing it down to semi-affordable. This club has 2 locations (convenient when you have kids in activities and have to "kill time" in different parts of town), and, more to the point, a roster of fabulous classes. It turns out that some of my great book group friends are regulars. I got a pass and tried out a strength training on the thera-Ball yesteray. SORE? I am ready to pay a little more for some fantastic classes, variety, and some social interaction. I have decided not to do ballet this fall, but to make the switch to the Racquet Club. Stay tuned. Raychel, you can be sure that your clipboard-bearing energy surrounds me there, and I know I will have lots to share as I try all these great new classes - body pump, yoga, pilates, etc. And this will give me a place to put all this "national crisis" energy, as well.

I went out and bought a cardio ball right after the class. The girls love it.

Doing well on water. The filter really helped with that.

Steph how is Cassie doing with all this? My girls are appalled but also bored by it. I remember finding all the turbulentn news in the 1960s (assassinations, Vietnam) very boring at that age, as well - but I also remember it all well, and they will too. It is another way to block it out, I think.

Catherine how is the 5K training. What is the date of your run.

I fly out on Thursday, to Oregon. Raychel is your trip still on? I have to go. I am not psyched to have geography between me and my children.

I hope all can get in to post. Miss Nadine, I can't say this was the most "typical" post, but this is a group that ponders the world and the soul. One of our earliest things we shared was the "Make the Connection" book, you know the one with Oprah and Bob Greene. It is all connected and we do have so much control and possibility in our health and vitality. Connection is the key word for the 5% club. We haven't been posting daily lately, but the connection is part of the recipe. Anyone is welcome to join us.

Blessings to you all--

Your friend,
Juno

Old 09-21-2001, 06:57 AM   #20  

Hi, guys! Just call me Nadine.

I think the whole (sane) world is in shock over the terror attacks in the US. While we deal with terror every week--or maybe BECAUSE of that--we were incredibly touched by what happened. People had spontaneous demonstrations of love and support outside the US embassy in Tel Aviv, bringing flowers, lighting candles, saying prayers. We know how terror can disrupt more than the lives of those immediately targeted. Anyhow, suffice it to say that we are all thinking about you during this difficult time.

Juno, thanks for explaining "5%"... Yes, you can! Very interested to keep in touch with those of you in serious training--I'm an ex-jock trying to get back in shape.

As for Juno's idea to "just move" (i.e., don't worry about which muscles, how many calories, etc.), that is good advice for all of you dealing with the depressing affects of the terror attacks.

This is our main holiday cycle, so I will wish all of you a healthy, happy, successful (weight loss and otherwise) and PEACEFUL new year! Shana tova,

--Nadine
Old 09-21-2001, 09:35 PM   #21  

Hi everyone. I had posting on my To Do list and have just not been able to find the time to sit and type. All the other creatures in my house are occupied so I have found some peace.

Welcome Nadine! Mine has been a slow crawl back to shape and you are welcome to join us in becoming an even better jock than before!

I could spend days and days writing about the past 10 days but I wouldn’t know when to stop. I’ve talked about it so much, written about it, read a million different e-mails, and just don’t know when my head will be clear. It is just a sad sad waste of human life and a big horrid example of how destructive hate can be. I have so many belief’s on all of this but like Juno said this isn’t the place to hash them all out. My one theory of war however will always remain the same – I will never understand why the leaders or people in power that are the ones fighting don’t get out there and battle it out. If Bin Laden was such a believer in his religion/beliefs than he should have blown himself up years ago…..I’ll stop now before I just keep going. One more thing that drives me nuts – THE PREJUDICE AND IGNORANCE that is out there. I have always said that I am not the least bit prejudiced or racial EXCEPT for stupid people which seem to be running rampant now.

Everything does seem trivial after last week. I did continue exercising but I was doing yoga in front of CNN and not to my tapes. I didn’t listen to music on the treadmill but instead had the radio news programs on. I was wishing at times that I didn’t have a TV like Juno so I could turn it off and just try and breathe without looking up to the tv to see what was new. Life has returned to normal but is a bit more subdued.

I have been thinking and thinking about my commitment to health and exercise quite a bit lately. I think I have reached a point where right now I am happy with where I am at. I know I have room for improvement in the weight area (those dreaded last 15 just keep on clinging) but I think that is just something I am going to set on the backburner for now because those 15 pounds shouldn’t be even a dim part of my life anymore. It is just a stupid amount of weight that at this point in time doesn’t matter. I lift weights 2-3 times per week, 4 cardio and 2 yoga sessions. These are a very positive part of my life – I love doing them!! If there are days when I feel like skipping then I do without guilt. I never skip more than a day because I just never want to.

My only tough health news lately has been the diagnosis of cancer in a friend (stage 1 though so we are all pulling for this to go away quickly!). The fact that someone I know with kids the same age was fine one day and a trip to Urgent Care turned into a frightening whirlwind makes you realize just how vulnerable you are. I have always felt safe. My grandparents, my parents, my immediate family all have good clean bills of health – closest cancer or heart scares are 2nd cousins and great aunts. This and the last 10 days have made me realize how short my time on this earth might be. I have been having some weird health problems since the middle of August but have been blaming them on a slight cold I had that just seemed to linger and linger in my throat. I finally went to the Dr. and was just diagnosed with a sinus infection and sent home with antibiotics. A trip back last week when the sore throat just was horrible as shown that I have that horrible Acid Reflux which just went totally out of control this last month. I can see some of my behaviors making it worse so I have a whole bunch of things I need to improve on. Kind of freaks me out because I am the kind that eats spicy and acidic things (lots of tomatoes, jalapenos) and I am going to have to revamp and tone it down. My very vile habit of one diet coke per day is on its way out too. I’m sad about thatL I honestly didn’t have a clue what was going on until I actually had the bile back up on my Sunday and I have felt like my throat is burned. I’m not going to complain though because this is just a big force in me getting much better food habits. I had good ones but the guidelines to change are the few bad habits I’ve maintained. They will be gone!

Juno – The joy of a new washer/dryer. I’m doing laundry now and can appreciate every buzz of the dryer. We got new ones about 4 years ago and I was amazed at the time cut down on drying and the better washing!!! I was in heaven so I can relate. I am washing everything this weekend. Clothes and daycare sheets tonight, bedsheets, curtains this weekend. Since I have that huge gym in my garage I won’t get to join a health club but I really am going to try and find a class to sign up for. Water aerobics or something….maybe I will finally take some martial arts or something. Everybody yell at me until I sign up for something before Christmas! We have a huge YMCA being built but it won’t be done til next year. Funny how the Walmart, Cub and the 5 other stores have gone up in like 4 mos but the YMCA takes forever. I have wanted a cardio ball – maybe you have just inspired me.

Catherine – Training for a 5K! Have you had any cold weather over your way yet? How is the fall sports schedule doing? I still must live vicariously through your youth as mine has slowly ebbed away. My heart is still there but I’ve got these 3 kids to keep me youthful yet remind me that so much is different now.

In the beginning Cassie was appalled but not quite understanding of how awful the whole thing was. Then we went through a stage where she was really worried about war and how the whole world could change. Her dad and I were over exaggerating but we were trying to get a point across. She has actually paid attention but now Homecoming is coming up so that is the focus (hey she is 14). Our home life is fine but I really think the new school thing is a problem. I told her that if it isn’t working that she can do her 2nd semester back at her old school. She loves living with us and I think she had unrealistic expectations of going to a different high school. Kind of thought she would float in and everyone would remember her and invite her right back. She didn’t do a great job of keeping in contact her and is now realizing it. Funny thing is now she isn’t keeping in touch with her friends in IL except the boyfriend. He is nice but right now he is the problem. He actually isn’t – she is. So don’t be surprised if she goes on back. I must say that as much as I enjoy her company that I lost a lot of private time. The one funny thing is she always blamed her fights back home on her mom and she is furious that her dad and I have told her that she has a very short fuse and a very hostile look when she isn’t liking or understanding what we are saying. Typical teenager – she doesn’t do wrong.

Raychel – Pop in when you have time in-between taking over the health club world!

Nadine – Welcome again and enjoy your holidays. I think your celebration ends on my birthday. The calendar says First Day of Yom Kippur is the 27th – darn because I have to get older on that day!!

Dryer buzzer went off so I should go!

Peace and Wisdom to all,

Stephanie
Old 09-22-2001, 06:42 AM   #22  

Default Exercise=sanity!

Guys,

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Juno, you are right that things seem overwhelming right now, but sticking with the exercise regime is the best way to feel better (burns off some of that anger and frustration!). Will go for my power walk in the PM when it is cooler.

Steff, mazal tov on the upcoming birthday, but Yom Kippur is hardly the end of our holiday cycle. From there we go into Sukkot and then finish with Simchat Torah. It will be Oct. 10 before things get back to normal! Yom Kippur is a fast, but on Sukkot (which lasts a week) there are tons of family invites and "oh-you-MUST-try-this" temptations. Who was it who said that all human temptation amounts to a few minutes of glory and bliss in exchange for hours of self-digust and loathing? We splurged and had two pints of Hagan Daz (yes, we can get that here now!) in the house--a very rare thing for us--but luckily my cat came to our rescue by selflessly throwing herself between us and the ice cream and eating a large portion of it.

I figure we can either learn to be like my cat, who has the best self-image of any woman I know, and learn to love our flab, or simply change things! Sounds like all of you are on the road to changing things.

Catherine, how exactly are you training for a 5K? Will the race be hilly?

--Nadine
Old 09-28-2001, 04:24 AM   #23  
Juno

Hi friends--

I am here to say that switching clubs was definitely the right thing to do, at the right time. I haven't missed a day of working out for over a week, and I am hitting it hard in my new classes. I have done some spinning classes, and today I did Body Pump for the second time - it's great. In fact, I am doing a planned day off tomorrow, just to let my muscles do some recovery, but my date is already set for spinning on Saturday morning. My daily workouts have been part anxiety release and part affirmation of being alive and having a future. My 'base' was always there in 5% glory, so results are quickly forthcoming! You all know what I mean when I say "click!"

This morning was when I was going to fly to Oregon. I canceled the trip. The reason for going was to visit my grandfather. He passed away on Monday. I decided I do not want an expanse of geography between me and my children and DH. I have a primal need to be near my kids at this time. I will be forever sad that I didn't go down in August, before terror and when he was still able to visit, etc. I know we are all supposed to go about our business and not change our plans, etc., but this was the right decision for me. My parents, while they wish I could be there for this family time, were very anxious about me traveling too. I know they have enough to stress about with family matters.

My birthday is Tuesday. When the 5% club was starting out, my impetus was to get in great shape before hitting the big 4-0. Now I will turn 43 and I feel I look better, younger and fitter than throughout my 30s. I feel like I am about "33."

Nadine I am thinking of you with all those holiday temptations around. I do think food is a wonderful tradition, and I hope you enjoy partaking, though I know it also feels good to get that aspect behind us. I appreciate all of your supportive words, and pray for peace in your country.

Steph I agree with you on so many of your points. I hope the reflux and other symptoms have settled down a bit. I think it is possible that we were all physically affected by the terror events. I know I felt pain in my chest and severe constriction - I wondered...heart attack? I think it was supreme stress and worry. You are right though, even very healthy people get struck unexpectedly. I certainly see this a lot in my work, and it is always a reminder to both do what I can to stay healthy with good habits, and to appreciate every day of health.

Raychel, I miss you! How is the job coming along? How are things going with your DH?

Justy, thinking of you too. Are you keeping active? We have a bit of "termination dust" on the mountains. It is almost time to watch our Ps and Qs while driving, as it will soon be icy at least at night.

Catherine when is the 5K? You are such a sportswoman!

I will miss my grandfather's service, which is on Saturday. I will go somewhere in the woods, probably near the glacier, and have quiet thoughts of my own. I almost feel like Grandpa did me a favor through the powers of the universe, I so didn't want to leave.

Have a great weekend everyone, check in when you can!

Juno

Old 09-30-2001, 05:33 AM   #24  

Juno, sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope you have enough good memories to keep him alive in your heart.

I was doing pretty well for the begining of the holiday cycle, and then just crashed and burned. I feel so blah! We were at the beach yesterday, and I felt fat and bloated and totally gross.

Gotta get back on the workout track this week!

On Thursday our city is hosting an 8K walk for women's health (early detection of breast cancer). I am going to do the walk, but can't find any friends willing to do it with me. Bummer.

--Nadine
Old 09-30-2001, 08:06 PM   #25  

I have been sitting here typing and deleting for quite a bit of time and can't get a feel for how to start this e-mail. I usually just type away but my thoughts all seem to be muddled. If this post makes no sense at the end - just delete it in your mind

Juno I am so sorry to hear that your grandfather passed away . I know you have had great visits in the past and know you are feeling sad that you can't be with your Oregon family at this time. Hold those kids and hubby close during this time. I despise death and will never be one of those understanding people when someone passes away. We should be immortal. On a happy note - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Another wonderful year has passed and you are in even better health with the great new healthclub membership!!

Raychel - Girl where are you???? I'm not nagging just missing!

Catherine - How is the training going?? Where are you running the race? How's softball going this fall??

JS - Did you get rid of the shin splints from weeks ago? How was the golf tournament? You must be feeling so much better now that you have a settlement - a big weight off your shoulders!

Nadine - None of my friends are interested in walking/hiking or exercising or it is just a fleeting thought. I have one friend that starts and stops so I don't even try because I have my own little pace going. I need to actually go find a "health" friend

My life has still been hectic. The acid reflux turns out to be a side effect of some more serious issues which I am trying to get a handle on. I was sent to an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor and was finally proven right that I did have a big lump in my throat! I also had some vocal cord bacteria or something???? Anyhow I have been on more meds in the past week than in the past 10 years trying to figure out why the "thing" is inflamed. Part of it has really gone away so I am hoping this turns out to be nothing and fades away. I'll let you know how it goes - cross your fingers.

I picked up my weight training to 3 times per week and am just doing walks 5-6 times per week until the weather gets too cruddy. I feel good walking outside now. I need to stock up on the air while it is still warm enough to breathe. I already know I a will be suffering from the winter blues soon enough. I am still going to try and walk more this winter - just need new boots.

My birthday was really nice. My treats for myself was going to the show Riverdance with my DH, an all day zoo outing (no chores the whole day), IMAX movie...I only did things that made me smile. My DH made me a beautiful computer slide show that was called 10 Year of Memories set to 7 minutes of our wedding song. A nice present that gives you the nice cozy feeling that you are loved! This weekend DH and I are going to see a movie and go spend a gift certificate for a very $$$ restaurant that we need to get to before it expires in Dec. I never made C babysit much before but for a while I am going to take a tiny bit of advantage. I have always taken them with for everything and am finding it a bit fun to get out with DH ALONE for a bit.

My kids have announced they need to be cleaned (go figure like the ever ask any other time???). Laundry needs to be put away.....skipped those chores on Saturday and they didn't go away - boo!!!!

Have a great start to October!

Stephanie
Old 10-09-2001, 09:35 AM   #26  

Good morning everyone! I hope that you are all doing well and that the fall season is treating you well. A special welcome to Miss Nadine. Thanks for joining in our ongoing conversation.

The race was two weekends ago. It went really well. I didn’t train as hard for it as I should have, but was able to complete it in fine form nonetheless. I ran about three times a week for training, should have done four. The race itself was attended by 3500 I heard. A lot of excitement. I started out slow, but ended up passing everyone at the end. I don’t know what my time was, because my computer chip must not have worked, and my results weren’t listed on the net. So I guess that I can make up any score that I want!

As many of you know, fall is my busiest time of the year. In addition for training for the race, I started a weekly Tuesday night class. Along with buying and selling homes. Eeek! I’ve had enough! I had to bow out of the last three softball games due to a conflict with my class. But they play for the championship tonight.

I don’t have too much time here, but I just wanted to say hello. I so enjoy all of your updates of activities and progress.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:06 PM   #27  

Hello everyone. Sorry that I haven't posted for so long. I've been (and still am actually) in a very quiet mood lately so haven't been writing or talking to many people. But I have been keeping up to date with your news and you all have been in my thoughts.

Nadine, a big welcome! You will find that this group is a wonderful and supportive group of friends. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Juno, my deepest sympathies on your grandpa. I hope you're doing okay. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY (albeit belated!)

Catherine, congrats on the race! I keep telling myself I'm going to get busy and get involved in such a race but I have to admit that I'm just not that crazy about running. Now, if they had a way of doing the race on the buffer.....

Steph, another belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have you heard anything else about the lump in your throat? I hope all is good news.

Raychel how are things with you girl??

Things here are going along as per normal. As mentioned I've been in a really quiet, almost hybernating mode. Unfortunately this also means that by the end of the work day I've had enough of people so I haven't been to the gym as much as I would like to be but have been spending a lot of time just sitting and being quiet at home.

But as far as news goes here, I've taken back my maiden name - 2 weeks tomorrow actually. I'm even getting used to signing it again, the first few days were almost funny. I've got 11 more days until my lawyer files the divorce papers (filing on the 22nd). Then I wait until the judge signs them then another 30 days after that. So everything should be final by Christmas.

Work beckons yet again. Take care everyone!
Old 10-16-2001, 12:16 PM   #28  

Default I'm here and well!!

Holy Moly its been wayyyyyyy too long since I've posted. SO much has changed in our world since the last time I was able to post. I think enough has been said on the issue - we could debate it for days. And now dealing with the new scares of bioterrorism (though personally I don't believe there is a connection other than some "crazies").

Juno - I am so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Even when you know something is coming, it doesn't take away the shock of it. Your new club sounds terrific. As always you have an extremely proactive attitude even in your down times.

Steph - Nothing like children to remind us that life goes on. I'm happy that C takes active part in her school. I never did and regret it to this day. One of the things I'm learning in my new job is that the fitness lifestyle is definately about how you feel and your QUALITY of life rather than being a certain size. I knew this before of course but when I have a client tell me that at 40 she feels better than at 20 it just makes my whole world glow.

Catherine - How did the 5k go? I really wish my body liked running. But it doesn't - I get funky pains the day after all the way from my hip to my plantar. *looks glum*

WELCOME NADINE! Always nice to meet someone new.

JS - Hey you check in more than me lately so don't worry about the hit and miss posts. Thank you so much for your kind thoughts at this awful time in our country.

So - quick rundown on me....LOVE my new job. I'm happy happy happy! It truly shows on me too. *glows with pride*

Home life has been good - or so I thought until this weekend when I got hit with the "something is missing in our relationship" speech from DH. Actually I shouldn't say I was slammed - its just a shock to realize that you don't make your partner very happy. The good news is that I have made a lot of strides in being a better partner to him. (More open, more affectionate etc). Again, this role reversal thing between me and him is really strange. I'm not sure where this is all leading but it hurts. We are talking about it and through it though. We do such good relationship work together. I had a thought driving into work this morning that I base my whole relationship with him on when he is going to leave. That's my flaw here and I'm wondering how to go about changing that.

I did visit my Mom last month. The flying was not good (lots of delays) but the retreat was fabulous. Remember those pictures I posed for (not nude) last year? Well one of the local artists in Oregon painted one of the pics (painted out the bathing suit but its a back shot) and it is GORGEOUS. She submitted it to a gallery and they accepted it! It doesn't really look like me (artists interpretation and all that) but I get such a terrific feeling looking at it.

I will try to check in more often. Things have calmed down a bit for me on the job. Take care everyone - Raychel
Old 10-19-2001, 02:31 AM   #29  
Juno

Angry I'd Say It's Time for a New Thread!

Hooray - I have a little extra time tonight to make a post, and I will start a new thread. Hope you'll all have a chance to add your 'voices.'

Closed Thread