Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 02-06-2006, 04:50 AM   #1  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Default DD weaned herself

We went back to The States to visit my family at Christmas and my daughter, who was 19 months old at the time, decided she had too many other exciting things to do and totally weaned herself from the breast! I suppose, on one hand, I should be glad that it went easily and I was able to stick to my goal of child-led weaning but I'm just so sad! She seems so grown up now!

Before that, I got so frustrated with everyone saying "don't you think it's time you weaned her? Isn't she a little old to be breastfed?" Even my own mother!

I know I'm technically not a nursing mummy anymore but it's a subject close to my heart and I just can't let go that easily.

Here is a wonderful breastfeeding initiative. I ordered the bracelet last year and still wear it with pride. It's not known here in England but I have had people ask me about it and I can then explain.

http://www.lansinoh.com/index.php?su...n%20Initiative
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #2  

I'm not a mummy, nursing or otherwise, but I am passionate about breastfeeding. I wasn't a breast fed baby but my sister was. I had a lot of childhood illness issues, including asthma, whilst she escaped. She also had a closeness with my mum as a child that I didn't.

I am originally from Australia where breast feeding is very common, and is protected by legislation. I was shocked when I moved to England and discovered that you could still be asked to refrain from breast feeding in restaurants, and that women are made to feel second class citizens when breastfeeding.

There was a great poster in Australia of a man eating a meal on a public toilet "well you wouldn't eat your lunch on the loo" was the headline.

Well done to you, and many hugs whilst you move on to the next phase of your daughters development.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #3  
resident lactivist

It is great to live where breastfeeding is more accepted. It is actually specifically illegal in Hawaii to try to stop a woman from breastfeeding in public. There is something very relaxing about knowing that. I am all for enacting similar legislation in other States. I've seen too many women who feel the need to nurse in the bathroom.

I'd love to see more knowledge about breastfeeding in general. I've had some of the most magnificently ignorant things said to me, and more to the point I started being met with utter disbelief when I was still nursing my oldest at only four months. (Not that they thought it was a bad thing, just that they saw it so seldom.)

Of course, I've nursed everywhere I've been.

The best thing I can say for breastfeeding and immune system is this: my nurslings tend to not get sick even when I do. And I co-sleep. Which means there is a lot of contact.

Last edited by GreatBigMonsterMomma; 02-09-2006 at 06:33 AM.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #4  
American ex-pat

I would have doubledared someone to ask me to refrain from nursing my daughter! I was always discreet but I refused to slink into the toilets to feed her. The thought makes me ill! Anyway, I was never challenged so hopefully things are improving for the better. I find it hilarious that so many people, including women, are uncomfortable with a bare boob!
Old 02-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #5  
resident lactivist

I think I've had one person say something negative to me about it. Once was when I was sitting in the food court in a mall and a security guard came up and said "You know, you can do that in the family restroom; we have a couch in there."

Then there were the borderline things. Like the usher at one church who kept creeping up to me and telling me all about the nursery. Or the two seperate incidents where folks nearby in a restaurant decided to talk VERY loudly about how disgusting it was. (Those times was when I was covered with a blanket too!) Or the one waitress who wouldn't come to my table while I was nursing. Even when I just had my daughter in my lap, she avoided me. Didn't come back to the table til I put the little one up on my shoulder.

Quote:
I think it is REALLY crazy when I hear folks make comments about how boobs should be for sexual gratification, not nursing. I just want to say "HELLO- men are only attracted to boobs becaue of a deep biological urge to mate with people who can feed their progeny- any sexual stuff is just icing on the cake."
I was watching the Tonight Show the other night and Leno made a crack during the monologue that apparently a lady got kicked out of Victoria's Secret for nursing. No punchline really needed there, right?
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #6  
Shedding the pounds

I am still nursing my 2 yr old and I dread the day that he decides to wean. We are still going strong and we have the support of our family and our ped. She nursed her dd until she was 3. The WHO recommend nursing until at least 2.

I am a firm believer in child-led weaning and I hope that it will be a slow and easy process.
PaganSkyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:19 AM   #7  
American ex-pat

Did anyone check out the link I posted above about the breastfeeding intiative? You can purchase a bracelet to show your support. I wear mine along with my Make Poverty History band, hehe. Two causes that are very dear to me.

Merry meet, PaganSkyy! I think it's wonderful that you're still nursing. My daughter will be 2 in May and I had really thought to make it at least to her second birthday. Obviously, she had other plans! But every once in awhile, she'll tug at my shirt and say "NaNa, NaNa" which is what she called nursing. I hate to turn her away but there's just nothing left! So I just cuddle her instead.