Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-28-2005, 12:07 AM   #1  

Cool About to turn 50 and 270lbs.

I am freaking out. I am going back to doing yoga,it de- stresses me and makes it easier to stay in a calorie range, I've also decided to pursue something I practiced 30 years ago...Shorin Ryu Karate. I have been going for two weeks now and feel pretty good. I missed it. I am paniced at weighing so much. I feel like a freight train out of control.I just found this site and hope it will help me.Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated....Oops, just realized I'm on the wrong forum, oh well I have a great Scampi recipe if you are interested!

Last edited by shorin; 10-28-2005 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Mistake.
shorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:32 AM   #2  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

Hi,

Just wanted to encourage you and tell you I understand how you feel. I'm 40 and just started Tae Kwon Do about 5-6 weeks ago. I already tested and got my next belt (orange). I, too, felt and still feel like a huge, clumsy person tottering around out there on the floor, especially with so many people slimmer and younger than me. But, I am lucky, that my husband and son are also in TKD (they started about 6 weeks before me and are yellow belts, one belt higher than me) they are very supportive, as are the teachers.

There are times when I keep asking myself what on earth I am trying to do being out there doing TKD. I have two bulging discs in my lower back, fibromyalgia, heel spurs, among other things, as well as being 235 lbs (down from 285 a few years ago). I feel like I am 90 years old sometimes. But, I am out there, doing my best. After each class, I feel really good about myself, although also very sore for a few days. We are in leadership, so we can go as much as we want, and average 4 - 5 classes a week. It's great exercise and it really makes me feel good. My goal is black belt and I am determined to make it. I just hope my physical limitations allow me to get that far. My instructor is all about modification too, by the way. One of them has broken her back, didn't start til she was 40, her goal is master (she is 4 or 5th degree black belt right now), she is 60 something years old, has all kinds of hardware in her back, is a black belt in Judo or something like that, as well as another martial art (can't remember which one) and is truly an inspiration. So...you can do it too!!!

Gotta run. Time to take my kiddo to school.

Good luck and don't give up!

Kathy Bahr
Merritt Island, FL
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #3  

Thank you Kathy.
shorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Shorin -- This is a great site for all kinds of support. Wander around all the boards and soak up all the ideas. I really believe this kind of community has been helpful to me!

I completely understand your freight train metaphor -- I think we all do -- and everyday we're all doing something about it. It CAN be done! Welcome!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi!! I don't know too much about martial arts - but it sounds interesting! I think the mental discipline part is something I would like to check out. If you decide to go the calorie counter route - join us at the calorie counter forum! There are a bunch of nifty chicks on this site. Enjoy!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

HI SHORIN!

I know how you feel. I turned 50 in July and weighed in at 315.8 pounds!

The GOOD part of the story is that I joined LAWL on Sept. 21 and have lost 17.5 as of today! I've also lost 9 inches! That big 5-0 PLUS being extremely overweight scared me to death! I am now no longer in the 300's and don't plan on getting there ever again!

Good luck - YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote