Old 09-13-2006, 04:53 PM   #1  

Default Hey SAPF, details chica!

From Gretchen's B-day thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchAPrettyFace View Post
Hope your birthday was as awesome as you are. (Sorry I am late w/the wishes, I had emergency gallbladder surgery last week & am still recovering.)

What did you do for your special day???!?!?
Aack SAPF, what happend? Hope you're okay!

Beverly

Last edited by boiaby; 09-13-2006 at 04:59 PM.
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 PM   #2  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Me too, Aimee!

Sending all my love and healing thoughts!

: :

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Aimee - what happened? How are you recovering?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:21 AM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Exclamation

I just lost a HUGE post. Huge. *sigh*

I just want to point out that Gretchen never said what she did on her special day. I hope she is still having fun.

First off, my computer's motherboard got fried in an electrical storm back in July. Got a new computer with some belated birthday money this weekend, so I will be posting more.

As for me, I've been having what I thought was gas pain for maybe a year now. I would take an extra strength Gas-X and sometimes that would work, sometimes I'd have to take a double dose.

Labor Day wound down & I woke up @ 3am in pain. I took 2 pills, waited an hour, still in pain, pacing, took 2 more, waited 45 minutes & called mom. She wasn't sleeping, knew something was wrong, just not with whom.

Checked into ER @ 5:17am, was there until about 10am. It felt like they didn't give me pain meds until 8am. They did an ultrasound, and although I do have polycystic kidneys, I DO NOT have a polycystic liver. So that was cool. However, gallstones were found & one was stuck in the tube that comes from the liver to the gallbladder. I could wait until midnight & have surgery, or schedule it for Thursday. I didn't want a sleepy surgeon, so we did that. They sent me home with Vicodin, but it gave me bad headaches. And you can't take anything for the headaches on top of the Vicodin. Bah.

One fat-chick related thing that happened is the anesthesiologist called the night before to ask my height & weight. I told the truth. He waits til I'm nekkid in hospital gown, booties & hat, hopped up on Valium & Vicodin to say we might not be able to do the surgery today. He might not be able to get the tube down my throat. My mother asks why. He says it's due to my weight. So. You couldn't have told me that last night on the phone, Richard Cranium???!?!?!?!!?!? Fat people have fat throats???!?!?!? Whatever. I mean, I've heard people sometimes don't have sleep apnea anymore after weight loss. It could be true, it was just the way it was said.

Stayed with my mom after the surgery, wienerdog at my side. I am doing ok now, will need another week to recoup I think. I leave in less than 12 hours for Mayo Clinic again. I almost called activeadventurer so she could relay all this, but don't get cell reception @ mom's.

And that's the story. Thank you for caring about me, guys. I will post more after I get back from Mayo. Maybe I can talk Denise into dinner in Rochester tomorrow night.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:41 AM   #5  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Ack SAPF! What a un-fun adventure. I'm glad you're getting better. Did they do a laproscopic or 'regular' surgery?
I had my gall bladder out when my oldest daughter was just a baby, but I waited almost a week before going to the doctor. (At first I though it was the flu 'cuz I was vomiting alot. But once the vomiting stopped I was left with constant pain, felt like I had broken a rib...was surprized it was my gallbladder. Didn't even know I had such a thing.) They had doubts, but were able to do the laprscopic surgery and the recovery was pretty quick from that. Anyway, take care.
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:40 AM   #6  

Thanks for the well wishes Laura! And the rest of you, too, Yes, it was laproscopic. I have 4 scars, one bigger, two smaller & one medium. But my tum is full of stretch marks so I'm not too concerned about surgery scars.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #7  
Long Time Member

I had that a couple of years ago. I have never heard about not being able to trake you because of weight. Weird. I know I was over 300 when I had the surgery. I did the same thing with the gas-x for so long. It'll be nice not to have that anymore.

(((HUGS))) Please give us an update when you get back from Mayo.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

SAPF, I hope you are doing well. This past May, my entire belly had an ultrasound after two episodes with pain in my abdomen. The pain went away after a day but I still wanted to know what happened. It was discovered that I had gallstones. The doctor just told me to not eat fatty foods because that aggravates the gall bladder and to come in if I have pain again. So far so good but I know one day that those gall stones might want to come out again and cause trouble.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

SAPF-- hope you're doing ok. So sorry to hear about all this...

Keep us updated... Thinking of you!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

American Aimee - glad to hear it went fairly smoothly! Gallbladder issues are no fun, my brother had his out a few years ago and was so sick all he could really eat was brown rice until they figured out the problem.

nelie - iodine! I'm the only person in my family who has escaped the curse of no gallbladder (all my immediate family has had theirs removed). I visited a naturalpath when I was 14 and he recommended using table salt because of the iodine which is supposed to help, although I am sure there are other sources.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

The CuteBoyfriend had Gallbladder surgery too. I love his scars. I always point out, "These two were for the forks, this one was for the knife. Here's where they tried to untie your belly button."
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:35 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobsMommy View Post
(((HUGS))) Please give us an update when you get back from Mayo.
I am back from Mayo. I didn't have time to call Denise, too upset about liquid restrictions on the plane. I drink 3 gallons a day, Buster. If you're not gonna let me bring my own, PROVIDE IT FOR ME. Guh.

Feeling better, still have pain, have to stop picking up dog. Have to also miss a few parties due to FMLA, they are VERY strict about what you can & can;'t do on medical leave. I guess it's b/c some ppl go to Vegas during their medical leave, ruining things like a 50th Anniversary Party for those of us who are truly sick. But I digress.

At Mayo I had a consultation with a dietician. I can have 1800-2000 calories per day. She gave me a list of exchanges, and a booklet, and a chart. I need to lose 10# by Christmas, which is my next appointment. I think that's do-able. I myself would like to be under 300# by Christmas, but we'll see what the future will bring.

Thanks for caring, guys.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #13  
Long Time Member

I'm glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery!!

1800 calories is what I do and I always lose on that. Is the plan just counting calories - it sounds like there might be more.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobsMommy View Post
I'm glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery!!

1800 calories is what I do and I always lose on that. Is the plan just counting calories - it sounds like there might be more.
Thanks, Sandi!

She wrote down how much of each food group (exchanges) to aim for every day. I still haven't taken a look at all of it. I will let you know if there's anything that stands out.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:33 PM   #15  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Glad you are beginning to feel better. Hope the pain will go away soon too.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote