Old 08-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/248.5/160

Height: 5 Ft. 6 In.

Red face ? Super Foods & Diet Coke

I've been reading alot about super foods. What are they and how can they help me lose weight. There is also alot about cuting out soda's. I don't drink coffee but I'm hooked on Diet Coke. Is this okay? Should I switch to caffeine free Diet Coke? Any advice would be appreciated
harkeyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

You're welcome to join us in our discussions of Super Foods and Whole Foods here.

Super Foods stress healthy, whole, natural foods, so diet coke wouldn't make the list. There is a ton of debate on how bad/good diet coke is. It's really up to you if you want to include it as part of your diet.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I drink lots of diet pop. It effects people differently I think. Some people say they lost more weight without and lots say it didn't matter.

Personally, I drink it because it is zero calories. I usually only let myself have it if I feel I have had enough water for the day. It's like a nice treat, I come home and enjoy a nice diet soda.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #4  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

This is one of those more hotly debated subjects: but I can tell you that I have lost 86 lbs over the last 8 1/2 months while drinking (easily) at least 4-5 diet cokes a day. (SO always says I should invest in the company!) I don't experience the cravings for sweet foods that some people report- but then I'm not much of a sweet craver anyway, I've always been weaker around starches and salty foods than sweet ones.

Of course, I don't tout DC as the premier health drink of the century- it's what it is and I don't try to fool myself about it. However, I'm a confirmed addict, and with all of the many positive health changes I've made in the last months I'm satisfied with my progress without worrying about the caffene and other chem's for now.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #5  

Thanks ladies for the info. but you guys are right, there's differing opinions. I keep reading all I can until I can decide what to do.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've given up sodas as well as artificial and natural sweeteners. I enjoy it very much. I drink lots of water and some unsweetened iced tea.

As far as whole foods go, please join us on the whole foods forum if you want to learn more. Basically eating whole foods means that you are getting the most nutrient efficient calories possible. Whole foods aren't processed and are good for you.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:25 AM   #7  

I went looking for a super foods book today but to no avail. I found South Beach and Diet Makers. They were out of Mediterranean. I bought a bunch of veggies, fruit and nuts based on what I was being shown on various member menus. I can't go wrong on these in moderation.
Nelie, I loved your eating and exercise motto's. May I use them too? Thanks again to all of you who have messaged me. I love the help and encouragement.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #8  

As long as you stick with diet pop, I'm not gonna tell you to give it up. For me, diet pop is my last vice... no one is gonna take it away from me. But, on second thought, my tastes are definitely changing, and I don't favor diet pop so much anymore - definitely drink more water or flavored water beverages now.
Drinking diet pop is up to you.... I'm sure in time your tastes might change as well (and that's not a bad thing). But in the meantime, if you are trying to change so many other things in your lifestyle, so it seems silly to me to just all of a sudden cut it out. If it is something you want to get rid of, gradually start drinking more water, or noncarbonated beverages.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #9  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Personally drinking a lot of diet beverages causes me to stall out or even gain fluid, but I still drink diet pop just not only diet pop.

I agree with the previous posters. It is a personal decision on whether to give it up. No one says that you have to go cold turkey on it either. You could try to just cut out 1 a day or alternating water with each diet pop.

HTH
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

LOL the "diet pop" topic is another one of endless debate. I gave it up a few years ago, along with almost all other artificial sweeteners... it was one of the smartest things I've ever done! But I know others are big "fans" of it... so it does end up being an individual decision. Certainly no consensus of opinion.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #11  

I think I figured it out. You are all right! I decided that Diet Coke is not the best for me, but I know I can't stop drinking it right now. I have too many things on my plate, well not really on my plate because I'm eating less. I've compromised with myself. I can earn one can of diet soda after drinking one 16 oz bottle of water. (I don't like water) No water, no soda. This way I force myself to drink water. Cut back on soda. Change my ways. Who knows, I might learn to like water better. Thanks for all the input. You guys are great!
Old 08-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Sounds like a great plan! Go for it!!! I am fortunate in that I love water!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

I really love water but I use the same method to control my soda intake when it's in the house. Normally I don't buy it but if it's here after a party or I have one outside the house, I drink triple the amount of water before having the soda. It works great and keeps me from drinking the soda quickly in an effort to quench thirst. I also have to say when I drink one rarely, I enjoy it much more than I did when I drank them all the time.

Your plan sounds great! I think it is smart of you to make changes as you can handle them - you won't feel deprived and you're still getting healthier! Good luck!
peaceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I drink atleast a two liter bottle of diet coke a day, usually more like 2!! It doesn't seem to have any effect on weight loss for me. I think I've built up an immunity to it over the last 20 years, LOL For awhile when I was at a higher weight I suffered from heartburn and always thought maybe the diet coke was the problem, but alas the heartburn has gone away along with 40 pounds. I would say, whatever works for you is best.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Harkey,
You can use my mottos too, really they are a guidance for me and a reminder

As for super foods books, I highly recommend Superfoods RX by Pratt. It is a book about things you should eat, not things you shouldn't eat. So you won't find restrictions in the book, but guidance on what is good for you and your body.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote