3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Sick of it all... hopefully temporary! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/89917-sick-all-hopefully-temporary.html)

BreakingFree 07-26-2006 12:11 PM

Wyllenn -

Are you still feeling "sick of it all" or was it just temporary ;) ?

Mary

Heather 07-26-2006 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakingFree
Wyllenn -

Are you still feeling "sick of it all" or was it just temporary ;) ?

heh. good question. Yesterday and today I'm feeling mostly back on track in that I'm fine logging and monitoring again. I'm not feeling openly resentful any more, which is good!

But in the back of my mind now is the notion that I am not stuck doing exactly what I am doing forever. The real benefit I've gained from this thread and the resulting introspection is the notion that while I need to be mindful, HOW I am mindful may change. So I've started playing around with those notions. I have to say, just the notion it self that it CAN change has been really helpful! And people had lots of good ideas about things I could shift around.

So, when I get a little further from the 200s and closer to my next goal (or so) I may play with the idea of not counting calories (and eveyrthing else) but monitoring some other way. And I may be back here to strategize about that!

I am also thinking about a spa day or some other reward/mental health release!

So, thanks for asking!

Xan 07-26-2006 06:21 PM

I had one blissful period of weight loss (on Weight Watchers) where it actually DID become so much of a habit that I didn't have to track and just had to be "careful" -- i.e., only one slice of bread in a restaurant, fruit or sherbet for dessert instead of the hot fudge Sunday. WW used exchanges then, so it really taught you how to eat properly, and I had about ten dinners and five breakfasts that I rotated (lunch was always a sandwich and fruit). I would do anything to get back to that! That's what I'm working towards: really CHANGING so that I don't feel as though I'm giving up anything. I'm not nearly there yet, but it's a dream :)

Wyllenn, I hope the rebellion has run its course :) You're doing so well. I always gave up (not that I thought of it that way) when I was about 15 or 20 pounds from goal, because I was comfortable at that weight. No longer REALLY FAT! but certainly not where I should be. (You're much more sensible, I'm sure.)

phantastica 07-26-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan
WW used exchanges then, so it really taught you how to eat properly

... I remember this, and I agree. It did teach how to eat properly. I'm sure points are a quick fix and more accomodating to the different eating styles (low-carb, low-fat, etc.), but I think the exchanges helped me tremendously.

Heather 07-26-2006 10:42 PM

I did WW a couple of times years ago and liked the exchanges. In fact, before I had any kind of plan in place, I kind of went back in there in my head and used that general system for a while.

Xan, I've wondered too if it's not something about getting close to a goal and just having reached a major goal...

I may have spoken too soon! I had a tough night and ate more tonight. I'm eating for a 200-300 cal deficit, but usually I'm >500. I wouldn't worry but I feel kind of out of control (today I wanted to eat everything again) and am up a couple of pounds. I'd wonder if it was TOM but that should be weeks away. I wonder if losing a lot of weight screws with hormones?? I've been lucky so far and not really had TOM cravings or much bloating, but this feels like what a lot of people describe.

I am just going to ride this out. I know intellectually that I haven't gained a couple of pounds, even though I've eaten a little more I should still have a deficit, and nutridiary has done a great job of being accurate about how much I should lose, based on my eating and exercise.

But I am definitely not in as good a groove right now! Perhaps for a lot of reasons...

BreakingFree 07-27-2006 10:25 AM

Wyllenn -

Hang in there! I think a rough patch or two is part of the process of finding what works best for us. I think Meg, Her Majesty of Maintenance (:queen:), does say something about hormones being a factor, although I can't point you to the exact post.

Moods can be mysterious and, while I'm a big advocate of exploring why you're feeling what you're feeling about food at any given moment (esp. if the feelings are overwhelming), sometimes I just have to say "I don't know why I'm feeling irritated/lethargic/angry/unmotivated/(fill in the blank)" and just go with the feeling without giving in to it and to my urge to assuage it with food (MUCH easier said than done, I know! :()

You'll figure it out. Some people muscle through it, some people take a break from losing and maintain, some people seek out new tools to carry them forward. Be open to exploring new sources of support and, most of all, be kind to yourself while you struggle. You've accomplished amazing things and should feel very, very proud :hug: !

Heather 07-27-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakingFree
Hang in there! I think a rough patch or two is part of the process of finding what works best for us. I think Meg, Her Majesty of Maintenance (:queen:), does say something about hormones being a factor, although I can't point you to the exact post.

Moods can be mysterious and, while I'm a big advocate of exploring why you're feeling what you're feeling about food at any given moment (esp. if the feelings are overwhelming), sometimes I just have to say "I don't know why I'm feeling irritated/lethargic/angry/unmotivated/(fill in the blank)" and just go with the feeling without giving in to it and to my urge to assuage it with food (MUCH easier said than done, I know! :()

You'll figure it out. Some people muscle through it, some people take a break from losing and maintain, some people seek out new tools to carry them forward. Be open to exploring new sources of support and, most of all, be kind to yourself while you struggle. You've accomplished amazing things and should feel very, very proud :hug: !

Thanks!! I really appreciate all that advice! I am not giving up or giving in (much!). I am still eating well and exercising -- I'm just eating a little more than usual.I am pleased I haven't binged or gone nuts!

I don't have a plan -- yet -- for dealing with this. I also want to see if it lasts or disappears. But it helps so much to know how normal these kinds of ups and downs are!

lilybelle 07-28-2006 10:09 PM

Wyllenn, I have had times when I felt the same exact way. Many of us who have been trying to lose weight for an extended period of time probably feel this way at times. It seems to me that every few months I would start to feel like this. I just didn't want to have to be so accountable. The feeling usually passed after a day or two. I knew that losing weight was the right thing for me to do, but staying on track was harder. I didn't totally give in, but like you, I ate more than I usually did during these hard days. You just hit a major milestone and it may have you rethinking your hard-earned decisions. You have done excellent and I look forward to your insightful posts. I just wanted you to know that what you are feeling is normal. Sometimes I hate the thought of journaling my carbs daily and my exercise. I might miss one day and then I am right back at it. Good luck and take care.

Heather 07-29-2006 01:52 AM

Lily -- Thanks for letting me know how normal this feeling is! Sometimes that really helps (and also helps to know it can pass!). I think you're right that it is linked to a major milestone as well!

It has felt very good to give myself a little break, though sad that the scale's up a bit. I know it will eventually come back down if I keep in control!

Rabbitt 07-30-2006 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyllenn
Xan, I've wondered too if it's not something about getting close to a goal and just having reached a major goal...

I read or heard once on some weight loss program or message board (can't remember where/when exactly) this idea: Don't settle for chubby. It really resonated with me, because I have a certain point when I lose weight where I have frequently stumbled, stalled, reversed, whatever in the past. For me, it is a particular weight where I start to not really feel fat, but just feel a little chubby or round. Still a little heavy, but acceptable. At that point I have little to no restrictions on activities, I start to fit into clothes from non-plus-size stores, etc.

I don't know if that is what is going on with you right now, but I do think it seems reasonable to have a little bit of a letdown after reaching a milestone like you just have. I don't have a ton to add to the great comments and thoughts in this thread so far, but I just wanted to encourage you to continue on, whether that means a little relaxing on things for a period of time, or gathering up and marching on. I really believe you will be fine with whatever you do in the long run, as long as it is a conscious decision. :)

-Sara

DeafinlySmart 07-30-2006 11:00 AM

Richard Simmons had this food movers program years ago. You can still find the system on ebay. It looks like a rectangle peice of plastic with a card inserted. Depending on your calorie range, it depends on how many servings of each food group on the card. The outside plastic has windows. In the beginning of the day you open the windows. It tells you how many servings of each food groups to have. Once you have it, you close the window. Once you drink 8oz of water, you close that window. Once you have so many grams of fat, you close that window. You don't really count calories. The assumption is if you don't have more fats than what is on that card and you eat a variety of otherwise healhty food, you will stay within range. It is based on portion control and variety. Instead of researching and writing down numbers, you just close the window.

That's just one idea.

Another may be instead of doing all of fit day, just write food and calories on paper. You might even make a spread sheet of food groups and do a check mark system to see how healthy you are. This way you aren't customizing tons of foods with all the extra stuff. I am still having fun with online journaling so I'm not ready to just do the min yet, but evenutally I will be.

OH!!! Another idea I got from a poster.... Make a slide braclet. Each serving..slide it to the other side. (you will still have to be mindful of having a limit on how many calories per serving you want your max to be. OR you can move it for every 200 calories you consume).

Be creative!

lilybelle 07-30-2006 11:21 AM

I used the Richard Simmons Deal a Meal program before. I could have had more success, but didn't stick to it well enough. That is a good solution for someone who doesn't want to write everything down and add it up everyday. I , personally jot my carbs and exercise daily on a notebook. I don't log on the computer and this has worked great for me. I have it right there in front of me everyday and can tell how well (or how bad) I have done.
Wyllen, when I hit onederland, it was such a huge accomplishment for me. I think I stalled for a few weeks shortly afterward. It was frustrating but I felt so much better and my clothes were smaller. Then, I got back in the race and lost down to about 168 and stalled again for several weeks. I thought several times of changing my goal and staying at this weight. I felt like I was looking pretty good and was "tired of the fight". I finally plugged on and got to 158. At this time, I had an abdominal surgery and was sure that without exercise for 3 weeks that I would gain. But, I didn't. I lost more weight. Seems the change was good for me. I am glad now that although I definitely had thoughts of faltering from my goal, that I regained the strength and carried through. Reading of the maintainers forum helped to pull me through. My biggest challenge was the last 2 lbs. Once I hit 147, it took about 3 weeks to lose the last 2 lbs. Then, for some reason, 2 days later I was 2lbs. below my goal. I just wanted you to know that it is OK to feel like this. It does pass and you will find renewed strength. It is OK to stay the same weight or fluctuate a few lbs. for a while. We are all different. My weight loss was difficult sometimes and easy sometimes. It wasn't linear. Good luck and I can definitely appreciate how far you have come.

DeafinlySmart 07-30-2006 11:50 AM

I want to do the tracking jewlery when I get closer or at goal. Try www (dot) trackingjewlery (dot) com. It's just a way of keeping track. You can move your charm across a bead every 50 calories. You can wear it all the time and nobody has to know you are wearing it. I know weight watchers has similar tracking jewlery for their points program. Just something fun to do WITH journaling or without.

phantastica 07-30-2006 12:13 PM

That tracking jewelry is really cool! And it would be quite easy to make.

DeafinlySmart 07-30-2006 02:52 PM

I was thinking I wanted to make it myself and mail my diet buddy one too. I'm still more interested in journaling online at this point, but it would be nice to have. My diet buddy is having trouble with journaling so I definately want to send one to her.