Old 07-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default Resisting a Binge...

You’ve had this kind of day maybe. Everything’s hunky dory and you’re feeling great and then suddenly you are hit with a huge case of the blues. I am feeling really low right now and all I want to do is eat eat eat!

I just want to binge! To eat! To fill the void!

I know I’m not really hungry. I know it won’t really help. But I can’t help from wanting to eat everything I can get my hands on – and not the healthy stuff in the fridge!

So. I’m trying to do what I’ve done every other time this has happened in the past year. NOT give in to it. Talk myself out of it. Here are my rationales so far:

- It won’t help anyway. You just think it will
- Food does not control you any more.
- What, you’re going to give in after 50ish weeks without an emotional binge?? Not on MY watch!!!!!
- Come on, you are 1 pound from One-derland. You can’t derail yourself now, sweetheart!

I think the worst is over, and so far all I’ve binged on are carrot sticks and a diet soda. It helps that there’s not a lot of evil stuff in the house, but in these moods, quantity of almost anything is a problem.

Sometimes sharing both the UPS and DOWNS with people here helps.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #2  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

keep it up girl!! resist that binge.. yes.. its soo hard sometimes...

Your rationales are right on track... find a way to distract yourself.. i dont know what you like.. but im sure you can find something.. go for a drive.. take a walk..

You can resist.. im sure you can! Your one of the people i look up to for keeping it up for so long..
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #3  

I'm working on it. Hubby and I are going to the gym to lift, and then to Chili's for dinner (he's taking me out! ). There, I will get a very safe "Guiltless Grill" dinner and no dessert. Hopefully by the time we get home I'll be feeling better.

Knowing that it won't help me feel better to binge actually helps a lot. But I have to repeat it a LOT.

Thanks for your support!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/180/120

Height: 5'4"

Have a great dinner with your hubby! You are doing the right things, keep telling yourself how good you are looking AND feeling and WOW 50ish weeks with no emotional binge!?! You are my inspiration today...not to mention you've lost 95 pounds!!!

Like your signature says, CHOICES HAVE CONSEQUENCES! (I love that!). Weigh the consequences of bingeing vs. not bingeing. Make it mentally clear to yourself (which I'm sure you have) that you are SO CLOSE to your next goal! Those binges just aren't worth it.
Idrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #5  
No description available.

Sounds like you have a great strategy! Exercise and healthy food. I do know what you mean about feeling like you have to fill up--something inside. I hate that! But your discipline will overpower that desire.

Have sex, too. That helps!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #6  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Wyllen: Through your posts you have given me so many smiles, it's only fair that I give one back to you in your time of need. I know that when "the funk" hits us, there is not much that trite words can do to help lift it: but please know that I think you are a wonderful, special person who deserves grins and tickles, puppies and kittens. Your wisdom is a light to many of us here, and I'm sure that we each would gladly give a piece of our happiness to you today.

Tell your husband I demand he take special care of you today!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone! I loved your ideas -- especially midwifes! And andoreth, my puppies got an extra hug tonight. They are great when I feel down.

Idrial -- you are so right that choices have consequences and I am getting better about weighing these options. But MAN is it hard in the moment to believe it. As for no emotional binges, it turns out that was never my biggest issue, though I certainly turned to food for comfort. I sometimes feel like I am being "made new" in this process -- you really need to address some issues to get through this. well, at least I do. Oddly, my issues are not what I thought they were necessarily, but that's another story.

Crisis averted. I felt SOOO much better after exercising! And dinner out was nice (and completely on plan).

Had I binged, it would not only NOT have solved my problem, but then I would have felt out of control, guilty AND maybe set back my weight loss.

I'm glad I could share this here tonight! It really helped to vent!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/180/120

Height: 5'4"

Woo Hoo! YOU DID GREAT!!! What a victory for you tonight! When you hit that one-derland, you can look back at tonight and give it a good "HA, I DID IT!"

I'm working thru binge issues and my gosh, you are so right, there are so many issues that come up and need to be addressed, some I didn't know I had! I go thru days where I'm glad I'm learning about myself but sometimes it's overwhelming and I fight to not binge or get my obsessive/compulsive in full swing. That's what I'm fighting the last few days is my obsessive behavior. I'm so much more aware of it now and I almost feel more out of control. I know it's a learning and growing process but good grief, it's tough!
Idrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #9  

Idrial -- This is why I try to look not necessarily at the behavior I WANTED to do, but at how what I do has changed. In the case of today, I was able to not binge AND get in exercise. Full success. But there are so many occasions where I stumble. I do better than I would have before but not as good as I want to be. In those cases, I try to view those as learning experiences so that I can continue to be better in the future. I find that better than the alternative: beating myself up because I didn't do what I wanted to...

It really is a learning experience!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:29 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Heather

Wow I had that kind of day today too... just wanted to forget it all, come home, crawl into bed and stay there. But good for you for NOT binging... yay. I didn't do it either BTW.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:35 AM   #11  

Misti -- YAY for you too!!!! Every time I resist the binge I feel stronger! you know, after the weakness passes...

And congrats on the 50 pounds again!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Thanks Wyllen! You know... it is getting so much easier to resist the binges! My new eating style is becoming a habit. And when I do eat it is fruit, veggie chips or something like that!

Wow you must be excited to see OneDerland coming up... you are standing right on the doorstep. Hope you jump over it today or whenever your next weigh in is!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Maybe if I keep following you around, wyllenn, I can absorb some of your positive vibes

Congrats on not caving, on not giving in to the binge beast I know from experience (in the past, obviously not very recently ) that the more you tell him no, the less he comes around
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
I know from experience (in the past, obviously not very recently ) that the more you tell him no, the less he comes around
I think that's true!!

And I think you can beat him too! Though it may take time to sort it out!!

Misti -- I weigh in on Mondays. It will be great to see that one more measly pound gone, but I'm going to try to not get too disappointed if it doesn't happen this week -- but I AM doing what I can to see that it happens!
Old 07-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #15  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

Congrats on resisting the binge WTG
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote