Old 05-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #1  
One pound at a time...

Red face 21 Suggestions for Success

I was at the local martial arts studio last night, and they had this poster on the wall. I have seen it before, but I felt it was worth posting for those of you have not seen this before. I certainly found it inspiring, and I thought most (if not all) could be adapted to weight loss. I noticed there have been quite a few posts lately about people struggling. I thought this might help.

21 Suggestions for Success by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Ø Marry the right person. This one decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery. Ain’t that the truth. If you do not have the right person in your corner rooting for you, how can you succeed? It is hard dealing with sabotage

Ø Work at something you enjoy and that’s worthy of your time and talent. I kind of think this can be applied to exercise. Do an exercise that you enjoy, which I think is fundamental.

Ø Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.I think this could be applied to everything you do.

Ø Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know. Now, while this could get on my nerves a wee bit (Dee, be nice, ), I see the point to this one. If you become positive about your new lifestyle change, it will get easier.

Ø Be forgiving of yourself and others. Very true if you fall off the wagon (Gretchen, Howie and Kimberly, I saw your post the other day about how hard of a time you were having).

Ø Be generous. Pretty much applied to every day life, I think

Ø Have a grateful heart. I sometime struggle with this one, when I am little down. However, I kind of look at this one as counting your blessings. I know personally, that I can be a LOT worse off than I am now.

Ø Persistence, persistence, persistence. ‘Nuff said. All I can say is read Meg’s story if you have not done so already. I kind of look at weight loss as the free “do-over” of life. You just have to keep trying

Ø Discipline yourself to save money on even the most modest salary. This one is hard to apply specifically to weight loss, unless you look at it from saving calories (?).

Ø Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated. Again, more of a life lesson, but I also look at this as treating yourself better. I am notorious at belittling myself when I have fallen off plan. Oy, the names I have called myself sometimes.

Ø Commit yourself to constant improvement. I like this one. Always look for ways to improve your life and lifestyle.

Ø Commit yourself to quality. Another one I like. I think of this as committing my self to a better quality of life, a more healthy way of living.

Ø Understand that happiness is not based on possessions, power or prestige, but on relationships with people you love and respect. I kind of compare this one that my happiness is not based on me being thin, rather I need to be happy with myself, and then “thinness” will be come about naturally. I guess what I am saying from my own personal experience, that now that I am in a much better place mentally, I find it much easier to concentrate on my new eating plan. It is really exhausting trying to stay on plan and manage other stressors in your life. I am not saying it can’t be done, just that it is harder to do.

Ø Be loyal. More of a life lesson again.

Ø Be honest. This again could be applied to whatever plan you are on. I find I am more successful on plan, if I am honest with what I eat every day. If that means I have to write down every piece of food I eat, then, so be it.

Ø Be a self-starter. I needed to do decide to change my lifestyle, myself. No one else can do it for me.

Ø Be decisive even if it means you’ll sometimes be wrong. I kind of look at this one as picking a plan and stick with it. It may not be the right plan, but you will find the right one in time.

Ø Stop blaming other. Take responsibility for every area of your life. This one rings so true for me. It took me a long time to realize I needed to take responsibility for my eating habits. After all, no one was holding me down when I inhaled a extra large bag of chips and dip, followed by a chaser or Aero chocolate bars when I had a very bad day at work.

Ø Be bold and courageous. When you look back at your life, you’ll regret the things you didn’t do more than the ones you did. I am forever saying, “I’ll do this when I am thinner”. Well, guess what, I am 36 years old and I ain’t getting any younger. It is time to get down to business and enjoy this crazy ride we call life.

Ø Take good care of those you love. That includes you, sister.

Ø Don’t do anything that wouldn’t make your Mom proud. This may depend on your relationship with your Mom, but I know my Mom is proud of me for making the right choices.

Sorry I am so long winded, but I hope this helps! We sometimes need new inspiration from time to time.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #2  
hara hachi bu

I love this! I haven't seen it before, and I am a sucker for motivational pieces. Thanks for posting!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #3  
Downsizing Dee!

Carol - don't worry I'm not going to pick on you. But the next time we meet for lunch I do expect you to come bouncing through the door brimming with good vibes and a positive outlook

Thanks for sharing!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #4  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Carol.

I had not seen it before. I am going to paste it in my journal.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:06 PM   #5  

Can I add an addendum? if you fail to follow suggestion no. 1, dump him and start over. ; )
MlleOdile is offline   Reply With Quote