Old 03-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #1  
Gonna win the battle!!

S/C/G: 226/213/130

Red face Self control.......

How do I know how much is enough when it comes to helpings? I am finding it hard to stop @ just one helping @ meals. I do ok @ breakfast, I am so busy I have to remind myself to eat. But @ lunch and dinner I am not so much still hungry as it is just so good I want more! How do I know when I have had enough and how do I make myself stop there? I guess it's no surprise how I ended up this way, But now how do I stop the cycle? I have had no problem all week last week but this week I am really starting to want more and more. It's not sweet stuff either. HELP PLEASE!!! Thank you everyone!
ladybugfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #2  
Red Sox Nation! :)

S/C/G: 280/240/160

Height: 5'7"

This is really basic advice, but I find that when I take smaller bites and eat much more slowly (try the chewing everything 48 times rule), I know sooner when I'm full. I used to eat incredibly quickly (between having to rush out the door in the morning or having 15 minutes for lunch before running to class, I just got in the habit) and found myself eating much more because I didn't give my stomach time to tell me I'd had enough. Once I did, I found that no matter how good the food was, I could feel comfortable putting it in a Tupperware and having it again tomorrow--on an empty stomach, so I'd enjoy it more.

Granted, it's a conscious effort and it's not to say that I didn't want just a little more of this or a second helping of that, but it does definitely help to listen to your body rather than just your taste buds.

If you have the time to eat more slowly, you might find that it works for you too.
alkali-feldspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #3  
One Step At A Time

Ugh, we're in the same boat together on this one. Something that I have been doing for the past few months is to do one of the following: use smaller plates so I don't have as much room to overload or try to only put 3/4 of an "old" helping on my plate. Either way, I will eat the stuff on my plate and immediately go put the rest of the food up after I am through eating. It's really hard for me to do when I've made something so good but I just put the food up really fast. I will look at the clock and wait at least 45 minutes before I will even think about letting myself think about eating some more -- that way I definitely know if I am really hungry or just using the food for comfort/pleasure. Not once have I had a second bite because I was hungry. I've only gone back to the food once just because it was really good and I DIDN'T make myself walk away from it. I'm glad that you posted this one Ladybug -- I could use some more ideas on it myself!

~Misty
Vixen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

This is one of the ways calorie counting usually helps me. I've learned from experience how many calories to eat, and now I "budget" my day to those calories (on average). It is one of many tools that is helping me be more aware of the choices I'm making. I now tend to package foods in the appropriate portion size.

There are some other good ideas here already! I still need to learn to slow down more when I eat... though I've gotten a lot better... in general, paying ATTENTION to what I'm eating is more satisfying for a number of reasons.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #5  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I've only recently been consciously aiming for reasonable portions. Prior to that, I ate as much as I fancied of anything, as long as it fit within my kcal budget. I found something on-line that listed what actually constitutes a serving, but offhand I can't recall where it was. You'll find lots of sites if you type "serving sizes" into a search engine. (There may even be something on this one. )

I try to stick to within these guidelines, bearing in mind that it's okay to have a couple of portions as part of one meal, e.g., 2 slices bread. I wait until 20 minutes or so after I've finished eating to decide if I need more, and usually I don't. I also find it useful to brush my teeth immediately after I finish to discourage getting seconds for the sake of it. Mouthwash is my friend!

Doing this has made me appreciate just how much I was over-indulging before. I wouldn't say I eat much less overall, but my diet is definitely more balanced, and I'm not getting that awful stuffed to the gunwales feeling after every huge meal. Less food, more often is working for me at the moment.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugfun
How do I know how much is enough when it comes to helpings?

I have had a tough time losing weight on 1800, 30 minutes each day on treadmill, I think I've hit a 'plateau' and I believe I need to scrutinize my serving sizes. So I'm starting 'plan B' ... my own tweeking, but that is another story... here is the website with the portions I am using:

http://www.bnaiyer.com/health/diet-exchange.html

(this is the second time I've replied, but my posts dont' seem to be showing up, so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate)
OhMomx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:09 AM   #7  
One pound at a time...

I think the basic rule is that it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that you are full. For me, I eat a lot slower, and try and have a drink of water between every bite. Also, I try not to have distractions when I eat (t.v., reading), though I am not as diligent in that area . I find when I do not have the distractions, I can take the time to savour my food as opposed to inhaling it like I used to, and then not even realizing what I have eaten. I am slowly learning portion sizes, but it is ongoing for me, the old saying "eyes bigger than my belly" apply. Some other tricks I learnt when I was with WW, is that the the palm of your hand (sans fingers) is a serving of protein (~6 oz), your thumb is one ounce, and the tip of your thumb is a tablespoon.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:16 AM   #8  
Downsizing Dee!

Some great advice posted here already.

I managed to get my portion sizes under control by only preparing 2 portions, one for me and one for my husband. That way there wasn't anything left if I wanted seconds and if I was still hungry after I'd eaten, cleaned the dishes and tidied up the kitchen, I would go back and get some fruit or veggies. I'm used to the portion sizes I eat now so I don't find it as much of an issue. It really does get easier with time.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #9  
Going to ONEderland

I don't think we have to be full. Plenty of times I grab something to eat and it isn't much, but then I go and get busy doing what I have to do for the day and it is adequate. I might still be a "little" hungry, but that's ok, I tell myself because if so I'm going to lose weight.

Some times people eat for reasons other than fuel. They eat because it tastes good and is giving them pleasure. They eat to feel "numb" and to drug themselves out of feeling certain emotions or stresses.

When we learn to think of food as fuel for our bodies, something we need, and must have at a certain time, and to try and find ways to make our "pleasure" be from other things, it is easier to walk away from the table. It is also easier if we try and reduce the stress in our lives in any way we can, and deal with the problems that are causing the stress rather than "stuffing them down" along with food.

Even still there are times when it is hard just to eat a little, particulary if we take it with us or work in a place where it is easy to get.

I'm fortunate now to be working in a place that has no vending machines and no easily available food. If I get hungry while at work I have to make a special effort to go out and get something. So I eat on the run quickly with small amounts before I leave for work and then nothing for 4 hours until I get home from work and start to snack, or make dinner. If you do have vending machines at work it is harder when a "little" hungry to avoid them. Being "bored" is another reason people eat. At least I always did. I try not to get bored now.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #10  
Gonna win the battle!!

S/C/G: 226/213/130

Thank you guys so much! Great advise! I am starting to count calories so that will help me with portions, I think. I hope! Not sure how many calories I should eat yet but I am trying to learn. I have been to a few sites that have given me differant answers to that ? SO, I am going with nutridiary. If anyone has any advise as to how many I should have, Please feel free to spill your wisdom I of course do not want to many, but apparently It's bad to have too few also. TIA
ladybugfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I think that the more calories that you can start out with to lose, the better because you can always go down. If you start too low, it's hard to go up. Maybe start with 1600-1700 and go a week or two and monitor your results and then shave them off from there? Be sure to add lots of exercise. That will give you better results on more calories.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #12  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Here's my bit of advice. First, when you make dinner, prepare your plates in the kitchen, and before you take them out to the table to eat, put the leftovers away. Put them in the tupperware and the foil and put them in the fridge. Then, put the pots and pans in soapy hot water so they can soak and be easy to clean when you're done with dinner. And lastly, use a salad plate. These days our society has portion control issues and our huge dinner plates only make things worse. Using a salad plate will make it look like you have a full dinner, but you won't be eatting nearly as much!

Good luck, and remember, we're here to help!
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 562.3/404/195

Height: 6'3"

What has helped me the most is breaking my eating in to smaller meals over the day. I try and eat every 2 or 3 hours tops. Also, when I eat - I make sure I am making good choices so that my food is not too calorie dense. There is a book called Picture Perfect Weight-loss that really illustrates what I am talking about on calorie density.

I also try and eat in courses. If I am having say a salad and a chili for lunch, I eat my salad slowly and make sure I have plenty of water. I wait a few minutes then eat my chili. I have found that if you give your body time at meals and wait - you will get the feeling of satiety. I know what I used to do was just keep eating because it tasted good and it made me feel good to eat. It is all about creating new habits.

I wish you all the best.
Charles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #14  

For me...it's all about what am eating and how much water intake I have had. My appetite has definatly decreased in the last 1.5 months. If I eat bread...I am hungry ALL day. If I drink no water...I am hungry ALL day long.
Jenniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:49 AM   #15  
Red Sox Nation! :)

S/C/G: 280/240/160

A quick related question on self-control:

How do you handle issues of self-control, self-esteem during and just before your TOM? I find that during these days, I feel worst about my body (water retention makes me look and feel even bigger) and my goals, plus it's more difficult to stay on track when my body's begging me to indulge in things I usually keep at bay.

I was in such a positive mental place just a couple of weeks ago, how can I get back to it?

..argh.
alkali-feldspar is offline   Reply With Quote