Old 02-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #1  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Default 911 Call

This weekend I awoke to find my DF kicking and flailing with his head moving back and forth very quickly. I thought he might be having a bad dream and tried turnig on the lights and talking to him loudly to wake him up. I asked him questions and he seemed to respond to some of them, but when he couldnt tell me his address and didn't seem to know me, I knew something was really wrong. I called 911

A moment later he laid comlpletely still, his head off to the side and a glazed look in his eyes. I can't tell you what it is like to think that someone you love has just died before your eyes. The paramedics, firefighters and police pored in a moment later.

It turned out that Mark was having a bad reaction to a new medication for his diabetes. His blood sugar had dropped to 21. They told me if he had been alone he wouldn't have survived.

I don't often get reminders of how fragile life is but his is one I know I will never forget.

Last edited by activeadventurer; 02-13-2006 at 09:11 AM.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:02 AM   #2  

How scary for you. I hope everything will be okay. Were the paramedics able to tell you anything when they arrived? How is your friend doing now? I am assuming he is in the hospital.
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

bump. Because I want to know!
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Having a few loved ones being diabetic...my heart goes out to you.I'm glad you got your friend in right away and I hope he is doing much better now.

Just recently my sister was hospitalized for having a bloodsugar of 930.It was scary getting that call saying she was in ICU. to you.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #5  
Downsizing Dee!

How scary. I hope everything is ok now. I'll be thinking about you.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #6  
Hanging in the Heartland

Thanks for your concern. The paramedacs asked a lot of ??? and quickly determined it was his blood sugar. They gave him an IV with ??? He came to within a few minutes and knew who he was and where he was. They made him eat before they would leave and he declined to go to the hospital. He feels fine and went to work the next day. Thank God

Last edited by activeadventurer; 02-13-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #7  
Crazy Canuck

What a frightening experience for both of you. It really does bring home how everything can change in a matter of moments and makes you think about the "what ifs?" So glad you were there and that he's fine now.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #8  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

What a nasty shock for you! Good job you had the presence of mind to get help.

I'm glad to hear he's feeling better this morning.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

How scary Denise. Glad to hear they determined what it was and were able to get him stabalized.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #10  
Hanging in the Heartland

Thanks girls, I really am trying to just decompress from the whole thing. The realy scary part was that he had planned to go home that night and I very specifically asked him to stay. How things can just turm out differently on a very little thing is really scary.

I have been doing some anxiety eating post crisis. Mostly sugar, which is not on my plan. Hoping to get back on track today. Posting has really helped.

Denise
Old 02-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #11  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Glad to hear that things are better.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Oh, wow, that's so scary! I'm glad he's doing better. And I hope that you're back on track, too.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

The same thing happened to my grandmother a few months ago. It's so scary! You are in my thoughts. Please take good care of yourself.
Sunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #14  

Denise - your post really hit home with me. My 21 year old son is diabetic and has been diabetic since age 4. Low blood sugar do cause a seizure - and the person is not coherent. Thank goodness that you had the presence of mind to call 911. Now that you know this can happen, I encourage you to talk to him about how you can help in the future. Blood sugar control is so very important - but the immediate danger is from low blood sugar. Adjusting insulin and eating is not a perfect science - monitoring, scheduled snacks (especially before bedtime) are musts. How much worse it would have been for him if he'd gone home, driving and then at home too. It gives me chills. People do die from this... how lucky he was to have you. Glad that it all turned out okay.
MlleOdile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #15  

**hugs** I had goose bumps the whole time it took for me to read your post. How scary. I am so happy he will be okay.
Jenniffer is offline   Reply With Quote