Old 02-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #1  
4 His Glory!

S/C/G: 352/344/???

Thumbs down Valentine's Day Challenges

Hi Chickies!

I am sad to say that my Valentine's Day meal did not fit into my weight loss plan. My husband and I had planned to go to one restaurant for V-Day,so I checked out their menu before hand and made my selection based on what I thought would keep me in my points range. We left home early, hoping that we could get right in for dinner. We figured all of Nashville would not be out for dinner at 5:45 p.m. We were so wrong. There was a 1.5 hour wait for seating. We had a rehearsal to get to by 8:00 and a concert at 9:10 so we could not afford to wait that long. My meal pre-planning was out the window. We checked out a couple of other places. The wait times were as much as 2.5 hours long. Our last resort was a place called Monell's that has excellent food, but is not what I'd call a good place for a V-Day dinner. It is so unromantic. Basically, you go in and sit at a table for 14 with people that you don't know. If there are 6 people at a table and you come in with a party of 5, you would be seated at the table with the 6, which would make 11. As more people come in, they are seated at the vacant seats until you have 14 at the table. See how unromantic that is! Anyway, not only is the place unromantic, but it is absolutely not weight-loss friendly. It is a Southern family-style, "please pass the biscuits" type restaurant. You have three entrees, about 10 sides, dessert and fruit tea. It's all you can eat. How the heck was I supposed to do well in this type of environment!? The meal was delicious, but it made me feel yucky. I was actually nauseated. In a short time, my body has gotten used to receiving healthier, less-greasy meals, and I think my system went into shock after getting skillet-fried chicken and a whole bunch of other stuff that would cost me two weeks worth of weight watchers points.

I am encouraged that I can pick right up with my WW plan today and move on with life. My system is still not happy about that meal though.

Anyone else have any Valentine's Day meal disasters?

P.S. We made it to the rehearsal and concert in plenty of time since we were able to walk right in to Monell's and start eating! So all wasn't lost.
Melodious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #2  
DNR
Determined Woman

Default Valentine's Day

I have had so many Valentine's Day disasters that we no longer go out to eat for Valentine's Day on the day - we usually go a day or 2 afterwards. Every year we ran into at least 2 hour waits and as far as I'm concerned, there's no food worth waiting that long to eat. By then I'm either past the point of being hungry or I'm so hungry that I'm almost sick with a headache, etc. So, we wait until a couple of days afterwards when it's not so hectic and then you can plan better and have a more successful experience.

Even though it was a disaster, I'd say that you got something positive from it. You have a plan today to stay on your WW program so that's a positive thing. I'd say to put your disaster in the past and move ahead.

DNR
DNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:33 PM   #3  
JML
Success Story!!!

Default Valentine's Day

Even if you lose 100 pounds, you are still susceptible to these disasters. I was SO good all day. Even dinner was healthy. We prefer to eat at home for most special occasions - it's more romantic. My husband brought home a special dinner or two lobsters and made us a salad while I arranged the flowers he brought me. That was all well and good. Then, because he knows I LOVE chocolate, he gave me a beautiful, shiny, 8 oz. red heart shaped box of Russell Stover chocolates - which I love. He had two pieces. In the course of the evening, I ate ALL the rest. Why? I don't know. It was there. It was so good. It was calling me. I felt compelled for some reason. It seemed such a shame to leave those wonderful tasty chocolates in that box uneaten.

I did some extra exercise last night to counteract the shiny box of chocolates episode, and I'll try to be extra good today. It's just amazing to me how quickly good intentions disappear into thin air.

Jeanne
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

I was really proud of myself yesterday. I actually threw away chocolate!! I was given so many sweets and baked goods from my patients that after everyone at work was sugared out, I just tossed it. It was quite liberating.

I spent the early evening taking a nice romantic hike with my husband, wathching the sun set and we then watched some basketball while eating out regular healthy dinner. Going out just didn't appeal to me and quite frankly it wasn't worth the bother. Our stategies to make more active choices are paying off and we are getting more pleasure in other things. Besides, a stupid cheap piece of chocolate (even on a holiday) will never hold enough power over me to control my choices. It may have in the past, but no longer!!
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I actually managed to do really well yesterday! I bought Andrew chocolates, and he offered me some, and I told him, that I'd rather just smell them...so I did! LOL!! But I didn't have any, even though there was some with dark chocolate, which is my favorite!!! He worked last night, so I brought him home some Taco Bell (our fave!), and I was tempted to take a bite, but I didn't. Saturday, we are going to the movies, and out to dinner, but we are going to go to a Chinese restaurant, so I can eat good! I'm actually really proud of myself. I will NOT give in to temptation!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

Good job, Kayley!

Don't you just love the pride and power you feel in saying no and choosing a healthier alternative?!!
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249.4/210.0/140

V-day was pretty much a disaster for me too. I had to work a long day, but didn't anticipate it being as long as it turned out to be. I got in at 6:00 am and left at 11:00 PM. Basically, I didn't even get to EAT much less a romantic dinner.
Scrappy Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #8  

DH actually looked at the nutritional information online for a restaurant we love. then he ordered what was pretty low, considering, and brought it home! It was a pretty high dinner compared to our normal dinner, but just knowing what the WW points were, from the online info, made it easy to stick to the weekly plan.

What a great hubby I have!

I'm proud of you guys who stuck to it, AND those of you who didn't but know you don't have to throw in the towel after a meal that didn't go as planned. We can do this!
AngiKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Good for everyone who did so well on V-day! Angie, your DH gave you an incredible gift yesterday--his support.

While I had planned to spend more points eating out, what I didn't plan for was taking a bite out of each of the three truffles that I gave my DH. At least I took the bite after I gave him the box!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote