Old 08-02-2005, 11:32 PM   #1  
Laura

Question OT - Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

As you can imagine, with two small children, we don't get out to the movies often, but we've managed to see a couple recently and rent a few. This summer, we've seen:

Wedding Crashers (it was dumb, but funny - you know the type of movie )
Madagascar (DH and DD went to see this - they both really liked it)
Star Wars (DH saw this and said it was good - not his fav, but good)

Rented:

In Good Company (good movie - I wouldn't see it again, but it was good)

Tonight we rented "Guess Who" - to watch after the kiddos are in bed.

Okay, my list is shorter than I thought! Anyway, let me live vicariously - what movies have you seen this summer?
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Only two of us at home and we hardly ever go to the movies (the last time was Christmas), although we watch Ebert and Roeper every weekend. Go figure!

We rented In Good Company, too, and liked it. Saw Ladder 49 a few weeks ago (good movie), and the Upside of Anger last weekend (another good movie). My DH watched Master and Commander, but I don't like all that blood and guts stuff. I saw a new Bill Murray movie reviewed on E&R called Broken Flowers that I'd like to see. It won the Cannes Film Festival or some such thing.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:02 AM   #3  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I really liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, saw it on Thursday night

WAAYYY too creepy for kids in my opinion...but great for weird women who love the really quirky side (he's pretty much quirky on all sides when you think about it!) of Johnny Depp.
He shone with creepy strangeness
The bizarre teeth freaked me out a little!

I'll think of some more soon....I'm just about to sit and watch "The Upside of Anger" on DVD right now....will let you know.

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:38 AM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Last night, we finally watched "Hotel Rwanda." Man, what a movie. Hard to watch, but amazing performances and writing, and very important to see I think.

I highly recommend it -- but have a hanky ready. I was a faucet!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:40 AM   #5  
I climb mountains!

Oooh, and Linda, I LOVE Johnny Depp! Creepy or not, he's just so awesome, isn't he? I love that guy -- on- and off-screen.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:02 AM   #6  
30lbs gone forever!!

Wedding Crashers - funny, I loved it
The Longest Yard - funny, loved this one too
Madagascar - cute movie, although I've seen better
The Ring 2 - just as weird as the first one, not my favorite movie
Sahara - I liked it, but I normally wouldn't like this type of movie
Hostage - pretty good
Man on Fire - REALLY good movie, sad ending though
Wrong Turn - creepy and gross, but good
Texas Chainsaw Masacre - could have been better, pretty gross too
Gladiator - once again, I liked it, but it wasn't what I would normally like
krysidaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:46 AM   #7  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

I don't see alot of movies in theatres but we borrow ALOT of movies from our public library. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the library!!!
War of the Worlds: Saw this in the theatre. I liked it, the plot was pretty good, the special effects amazing and the aliens creepy. The little girl who plays Tom Cruise's character's daughter is a super actress!
Super Size Me: Borrowed from the library. Actually a documentary but I HIGHLY recommend it! This is the film about that guy who ate nothing but McDonalds food for 30 days. The effects of his experiement on his health are very, very scary
The Essex Boys
The Last Samuri Good movie, but would have been better without Tom Cruise as the lead.
Bridget Jones' Diary: The Edge of Reason: Although I love both of the Bridget Jones movies the first one is still my favorite! I must say that I hated the fact that they talk about all the weight Renee Zellwiger put on for the roll, especially since I cannot see in any way whatsoever, that she is even close to being overweight in the movie. Makes you think, If they think she looks fat, how fat do I look to the world. KWIM?
Resident Evil: Liked it, bit gory and all, but Milla Jojavich kiss A$$! Can't wait to see the second one.
Arthur: Liked it! Saw it in the theatre and bought the DVD! Of course, I love the King Arthur legend so most any movie about it is terrific in my book.
The Mists of Avalon Liked it! Not as good as the, book of course, but a reasonably well put together adaptation never the less.
Alien vs. Predator Lame!
I could go on and on, but I'll stop now.
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:51 AM   #8  
Linda

Sarah, I looove him too...I'm a big fan of the very unique

Hotel Rwanda is one I've really been meaning to see...but it's tough for me to actually make the choice to cry my guts out!
I KNOW it's going to be almost unbearable for me...I'm super...really, very sensitive.
But I also know it's going to be amazing.

I know it's a bit old, but how hard did The Notebook hit everyone? I cried through most of it. I'm a terrible sucker for true love done right

Thinking about some more...

Linda
Old 08-03-2005, 08:10 AM   #9  
One pound at a time...

I just a rented a few movies over the weekend

*Million Dollar Baby-Excellant, heartbreaking but excellant,a must see
*Constantine-it was okay, I think it could have been better
*Bride and Prejudice-Different. It is the Bollywood take on Pride and Prejudice, but with the musical of Bollywood. True to the story and was funny in some parts.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:33 AM   #10  

One of the top movies I’ve seen recently is actually a documentary. “What remains of us” is the actual story of Kalsang Dolma. Her parents are from Tibet, but she was raised in India and Canada. She recorded an Interview on DVD with the Dalai Lama. The spiritual leader of Tibetans was forced to exile when China brutally invaded Tibet in 1950. The regime literally crushed Tibetans, as they are now forced to speak Chinese. In fact, due to massive immigration, they are now more Chinese people in Tibet than Tibetans.

Kalasang Dolma Secretly entered Tibet with the Recording and small viewing device. She went from village to village, showing Tibetans the message of hope from their spiritual leader. As a picture’s worth a thousand words, seeing Tibetans reaction when looking at the video tears you apart, especially reaction from elderly people.

A must see!!!
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #11  
I climb mountains!

Frenchiepolarbear that movie sounds simply beautiful, and one in which I'd be very interested. My partner is a district manager for a movie rental company, so I'm going to get her to bring it home. (It may take a few requests, but I'll keep at her! )

Another movie I loved was Spring, Winter, Fall, Winter and Spring. I wrote about it here in my blog back in February.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:46 PM   #12  

I see movies for their escapist quotient as you can tell:

The Adventures of Lava Girl and Shark Boy (or it could be the other way around): My girls loved it -- a bit preachy but given it's target audience, not inappropriately. And a few adults could do with a bit of reminding to keep to and believe in their dreams.

Madagascar: Good animation, cute story. Not much else to it, except for some really catchy dance songs.

Mr & Mrs. Smith: Very smoothly done, some great moments, but I'm sure the DVD will be better.

Batman Begins: Well done from the Batfan in the family, who prefers the darker side, and it's always nice to Liam Neeson. But the story arc was a little long and I have no idea why the female lead was there.

Sky High: Waaay cute! The girls were very enthusiastic in their endorsement. Good story, nice asides for the adult audience. I really liked that they let Kurt Russell and Kelly Preston look old enough to have a teenager.

Still looking forward to the Fantastic Four -- I'd like to see Charlie but no one else in the family wants to because of the creepiness factor.
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #13  

@Sarah,

Good news and bad news about this movie: As Tibetan people were playing their own role, having this movie distributed at large scale may endanger their lives if Chinese authorities were able to recognize them; Consequently, the movie was not distributed in video-stores.

However, since the movie is relatively recent, and had big success it is still playing in repertoire movie theaters. It may also be playing under it’s French name with English subtitles “Ce qu’il reste de nous.”

frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:12 PM   #14  
Laura

Omega-Laura - We saw Supersize Me as well - awesome documentary. It really changed my life in so many ways and changed the way I view fast food places. We eat drastically less fast food since seeing it and it's rare that I'll touch a hamburger now. Did you watch Morgan Spurlock's special series on ...um, FX or was it TBS?...not sure...called 30 Days. They did 6 episodes exploring all different aspects of live and had people change their lives completely for 30 days - it was a really insightful social experiment! Very liberal leaning, as is Spurlock, so it might not be for everyone. The first experiment, Morgan and his girlfriend lived on minimum wage for 30 days in Detroit - Amazing show. Others dealt with homosexuality, the muslim religion, college drinking, steroids...really good show. It was on this summer and they have ended the first run but I know they are replaying.

Also am a HUGE Bridget Jones's fan - but I didn't like the second one much at all, seemed a bit contrived. The first one was SO amazing, one of my all time favorite movies! In fact, I own it on DVD and that's saying something because we only own about 10 movies total and 6 of them are kid movies!

I loved The Notebook. I had read the book (and LOVED it) so I knew what I was getting in to - the movie was really well done! I bawled too! Right up there with Steel Magnolias on the cry scale!

I almost rented the Upside of Anger last night but we watched Guess Who? instead. I was just okay - not sure I would recommend it.
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #15  
Linda

The Upside of Anger was good..most definitely more appealing to women than men.
It was one of those movies that my husband would have grumbled about and then gone off to play video games..lol!

It's a dialog movie...a brilliantly acted, slightly depressing, girl movie....I love those
I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5 'cause I didn't quite cry....almost, but not quite..the tears welled up, but didn't spill out..

Linda