3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Sucking it in? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/60276-sucking.html)

Rtael 06-25-2005 11:45 PM

Sucking it in?

I just wonder how many people suck their guts in anytime they go someplace. I do it all the time and the scary thing is I don't think about it at all. I just sub-conciously do it every time I stand up and don't even have to think about it, I guess because I've been doing it for so long. So I just wonder who else has experienced this phenomena?

kykaree 06-26-2005 04:21 AM

I've ticked the yes on purpose, but only because I do it as part of my abs excercises. Pulling your tummy in and holding it is good exercise, true!!!! I never suck it in out of shame or anything. Now my boobs stick further out than my tummy there is no need!!!!! LOL!!!

BIGGIRL27 06-26-2005 04:38 AM

I've never sucked my stomach in. It's too much hardwork. I have friends that do it all the time and I just don't get it. I have more important things to concentrate on. :rofl:
There have been times where I wished I could be bothered with it... say to wear a certain outfit that looks better with my belly sucked in :lol:

tolose85 06-26-2005 09:32 AM

I won't vote but I don't... BUT I'm Pregnant AND I CAN'T

Seriously though, when not pregnant, I didn't unless I was being in a picture or something!

treefrogtoes 06-26-2005 11:27 AM

I do it ALL the time, it's second nature to me after all these years! Hold in the tummy and squeeze the butt in... just makes me feel like I look better.

Amanda Panda 06-26-2005 03:31 PM

I try to do it when I remember - it's good for your stomach muscles as Kykaree says. I am just at the stage of being able to feel my stomach muscles again which is a novelty!

Love Amanda x

tchrnow 06-26-2005 11:06 PM

I can for a moment, but I'm still all stretched out from my pregnancy last year. I need to; it would help strenghten my abs and back muscles, but it is SOOOO HARD!!!! But when I do, boy my belly does go in, which tells me my muscles are really stretched out.
Lynne

jillybean720 06-27-2005 08:34 AM

I do it all the time, but subconsciously. I never did it on purpose--it's really more of a posture thing than an appearance thing. When I stand up straight, I automatically pull my stomach towards my back...keeps me standing tall (which is also a way to look thinner, but I always just did it cuz my mom yelled at me to stand up straight all the time! :lol: ). I could suck it in even more, but like I said, I don't do it on purpose, so I don't pay attention to how much I'm sucking in--does that all make any sense? :dizzy:

DishyFishy 06-27-2005 10:56 AM

I do it on purpose, whenever I think about it. Like Jill, my mam used to encourage me not to slouch, but my posture went all to pot after I left home and started piling on the weight. :( I think I hunched a little in the hope that it would hide my increasing size :rolleyes: (like that works!), and it became a habit that is quite difficult to break. I can't keep sucking in for long periods because my stomach muscles are shot, but I keep practising in the hope that one day they'll return. :halffull: Standing tall just feels--and looks--so much better.

barbygirl43 06-27-2005 12:35 PM

I too tend to do it subconsciously. I wonder why my belly hurts at the end of the day until I remember I've been sucking in.

Gardenwife 06-27-2005 07:51 PM

It's second-nature to me, too - I was admonished to stand up straight and take smaller steps. Shoot, mom, I have long legs!

Reaferg 06-27-2005 10:17 PM

Yes I suck my belly in it just looks better. I have no boobs so if I'm not careful I could look like a popsicle :^:

Br00klyn 06-27-2005 11:18 PM

I do it too, and I totally do it subconciously... and don't even notice, except occasionally when I fully relax and notice it looks much bigger :lol:

lessofsarahtolove 06-27-2005 11:22 PM

Whenever I stand, I do it just as a matter of course. After 9 years of ballet and so much posture awareness, it's just part of standing up straight for me! The only time I think I just let it all hang out is when my tummy is bothering me. :lol:

alphabetsoup 06-29-2005 02:21 AM

I used to be a sucker-inner, back in the old days. :lol: But now, after two babies and two c-sections - I'm constantly hauling two little kiddos around, it just all hangs out - I'm not sure I could suck it in if I tried! :p

I'm not good about standing up straight either - I'm tall (5'9") and I've always been a bit self-conscious, I never wanted to make myself look <gasp> TALLER! :lol: