Old 07-03-2005, 08:19 PM   #1  

Default What am I doing wrong?

Do I ever need some help and guidance. I have over 100 pounds to lose and I'm having the hardest time losing one pound. Here are the facts:

1. I'm going through perimenopause. I read in a popular diet book that hormone imbalance makes weight loss very difficult, but they didn't say it was impossible. Gained 30 pounds in 3 years since going through this "change".

2. Just diagnosed with a slightly enlarged thyroid, but my levels are within range.

3. I eat healthier now than I've done all my life (no alcohol, caffeine, sugar, limited white flour products, practically no beef). Leaning more towards a vegeterian lifestyle.

4. I truly need the help and support from others who know what I'm going through.

Help!
Healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #2  

Default Healthy

Sounds like you are doing tons of things right. It could be a problem with portions..Do you measure them? It really surprised me when I started to measure I had been eating alot more than one portion and didn't even know it. Cut back some more and if you add exercise I know you will see results. I fought all of my life against exercising but now I know that is the only way to move the pounds and get strong. I am perimenopausal too! I have been for what seems like forever. It started at 46 and now I am 54 and it's still going on. I have lost 50 pounds..so that doesn't necessarily have to slow you down either. Just think positive I KNOW THAT YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!! One meal at a time, one step at a time and one Day at a time. Any help that I can give you I am here. Cindi
Flower Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Like Flower Power suggests, be sure to weigh and measure your portions. Log your calories into a program like Fitday.com because losing weight comes down to burning more calories than you take in. Be sure and start exercising, and include weight training along with your cardio. If you haven't exercised in a long time, start small with walks around the block or a 1 mile Walk Away the Pounds video/DVD. Drink lots of water, too. Personally, I prefer smaller, more frequent meals, but whatever works for you.

I'm 52 and I've lost 82 lbs. so I can tell you that it's possible. It may take longer (I've been at it 2.5 years with a bunch of ups, down, and maintenance periods), but it's definitely worth it. I've gone from a size 22 to a size 12, and feel a lot better.

You can do it!!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:30 PM   #4  

Cindi, I'm 44 and started experience peri. symptoms at 38...it went from mild to severe in 2002. That when the pounds started piling on. I must admit that I do not measure my portions. To be honest when I tried WW many, many, many years ago having to weigh my food just didn't seem natural so I didn't stick with that program. I have started riding my recumbent bike every other day 40-50 minutes, 8-10 miles. After almost 2 weeks I have noticed that my clothes are not as snug around the waist, but the scale hasn't budged an ounce. Okay, I'm going to start setting mini goals. Thanks for the encouraging words. Are you following a particular plan?

Sheila, congrats. on going from a 22 to a 12. I'm at an 18 so going to a size 12 would be a dream come true for me. Many years ago I was diagnosed with IBS and lost about 70 pounds and was wearing 9/10. I looked great, but felt horrible because I had lost that weight because I was ill. Of course once I felt better the weigh came back along with 20 additional pounds. Since I am hypoglycemic I should eat smaller portions 6 times a day in order to keep my glucose level from dropping. I must admit that lately I've not been doing the 6 mini meals, but 3 regular meals. Are you on any particular program?

Okay, tomorrow is the day. Is Fitday.com a free program?
Old 07-03-2005, 10:46 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Fitday is definitely a free program and it's awesome... www.fitday.com... I use it too... It's not easy losing weight at our age, I'm 48 but it can be done. In the last 2 years I've gone from a size 14 to an 8... Good luck and aske any questions you may have...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:18 PM   #6  

I agree, you should be proud of the changes you've made so far. Even if you haven't yet seen results in terms of weight, your current diet has lots of good health benefits. I also agree that doing a check on your portions and actual caloric intake is important. If you ate 100 more calories per day than your body needed to maintain its weight, in a little over a month you'd gain a pound! It might take some experimentation to find what a good level is for you to lose without going too far, but logging your intake for a week will give you a place to start.

It's true for everyone, but especially true for women and doubly true for those entering perimenopause or menopause ... exercise, particularly weight training, is crucial for keeping that metabolism going. Left to its own devices, our bodies naturally lose muscle tissue starting at about age 20. The less muscle you have, the slower your metabolism. When perimenopause and menopause hit, the muscle loss accelerates. This is one major reason women gain weight as they age, even if their eating habits don't change. So, weight training will rebuild that lost muscle, and help your metabolism creep upward again. Not to mention that the exercise itself will burn calories.

You might want to pick up one or both of these books for more information based on solid research:

Strong Women Stay Slim - Dr. Miriam Nelson (she also has a web site at www.strongwomen.com)
Moving through Menopause - Kathy Smith (she also has a DVD by the same name)
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #7  
Crazy Canuck

Although I agree that hormone imbalance makes weight loss more difficult, there's plenty of us around to prove its completely doable! I was rather masochistic and decided to quit smoking and lose over 100lbs. during menopause - I managed to be successful at both (but am told I was a beast at times during the process ).

I'll echo the others and suggest portion control is of utmost importance as well as an exercise plan. Even though I didn't (and don't) do much weight training I've increased my cardio and generally am far more active than I was in the "overweight" years. I belong to Weight Watchers and was lucky to have a support group with quite a few members in my age frame, so it was nice to share experiences and ideas with each other - support is vital (so please stick around and become involved in this wonderful forum). The WW program has changed over the years and I find the program manageable without too much food weighing (I've learned to eyeball measurements of 1/2c, 1c, etc. and now its comes naturally).

You've already made a great start in changing your habits (food, number and size of meals, exercise and use of mini-goals), now you just have to be a bit patient and wait for your body to reward you. The fact that your clothes feel less snug is evidence that you've lost inches if not pounds and that's a good indication of even better things to come. Good luck!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:49 PM   #8  

Jillegal, did WW help you to shed those 100 pounds? BTW congrats. on giving up smoking.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #9  
Crazy Canuck

Yes, I joined WW in June of 2002 and hit the 100lb. loss mark in October of 2003. I've had an up and down time of it since, but being able to rely on the WW program is a comfort because I know it works - when I get down to business I always lose what I've gained. Its an easy plan to follow that allows a variety of foods and if you follow it properly you'll never be hungry (mind you, emotional eating is my downfall, but that's a whole other thread )

Oh, I quit smoking on November 3, 2000 at 3:45 pm (not that I'm keeping track)

Keep at it and keep us informed on your progress, okay??
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:53 PM   #10  
Weight Watcher Member

S/C/G: 277

Height: 5.3

Hi Healthy! I was just wondering if you've taken your measurements. I, too am with WW and have been having some great success thus far but recently rechecked my measurements and I was totally amazed! I've lost 48.5 inches all over! I still look in the mirror and see fat but the scale is going down although it seems slow and these measurements don't lie. You are doing great so give yourself a break. It's really easy to rely on the numbers but try to concentrate more on how you and your clothes feel. Take care and keep up the great work! By the way, another idea is that you could be adding muscle.
-Cara
suunflowrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #11  

Thanks Cara. I replied to your "New Here" post. I haven't taken my measurements since...hmmm.......I must have been about 100 pounds lighter when I last took my measurements. Oh, I know I think I was a C cup when I last took my measurements...now....(whispering... DD )
Old 07-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #12  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Healthy, I truly know what you are going through. I am 46, recently menopausal (early probably due to my thyroid problem). I have had thyroid trouble since 15. One of the things that has helped me win this time is allowing myself safe snacks very regularly. I eat something every three hours, if not a meal, then Yoplait light yougurt or fresh fruit. This avoids my getting hungry and the starvation mode kicking in. Tea with Splenda in a lovely cup or bubble baths help me feel pampered so I don't get feeling sorry for myself. I had had so much trouble trying to get the weight off that I had for a long time given up. Then my heart started hurting and having arhythmias ALL the time. I also learned just after I started this diet that my blood levels were absolutely diabetic! The three hour thing allows me to eat frequently so I don't feel starved, but low-fat choices and portion control, with exercise (even simple walks) allow me to loose better than I ever had before (even when I starved myself as a teen)... and without pain of hunger or headaches. Our health is worth the effort. In just 3 months, my weight, blood sugar, and blood pressure are down significantly. I can enjoy activities so much more. The exercise has helped my moods tremendously. I flat out FEEL better. You will, too.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:22 PM   #13  
Sea

I had previously found that portion control was a real hassle of measuring everything. Now I cook my hubby what he wants and I frequently pamper myself with a boxed meal -- Lean Cuisine or Budget Gourmet (cheap, and I still can eat cheese manicotti or lasagna, even sweet and sour chicken this way!). They are so easy, and most aren't expensive as some out there. I measure my Raisin Bran in the morning, and that about does it. A baked potato and some veggies. We can do it so it is low hassle.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #14  

Sea we could be twins (peri/menopause, thyroid, glucose levels, blood pressure). I just found out that my thyroid is slightly enlarged. My dr. wants me to have another sonogram done in a couple of months to see if it continues to grow. If that's the case then she recommends medication. Right now she doesn't think I need any meds. I do know that a lot of this blood pressure, thyroid, and glucose issues stem from hormone imbalance, because I was quite healthy until 2002 when my estrogen level bottomed out.

It's so encouraging and good to hear from other meno. women who have successfully lost these pounds. I was a bit discouraged when I read in a popular diet book that hormone imbalance makes weightloss even more difficult, but I know many postmenopausal women who look wonderful and have lost weight and kept the pounds off.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #15  
Sea

Healthy, as we loose the weight our thyroid homone levels will settle better, too. The more I exercise, the better I sleep, and it's not just from being tired. These diet and exercise lifestyle changes really have made my bod function better. That alone is enough to help my moods. Hang in there. You are so far from alone. We are here for each other on 3FC.