Old 10-10-2004, 05:17 PM   #1  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Question I need your help!

I'm finally back OP, and it feels great. As you know, I like to work smarter, not harder. So let me tell you what's up & if you'd give me your suggestions, that would be great!

I like a bagel in the morning, I like a plain onion bagel. My bagel has a whopping 2 grams of fiber. I was wondering if there is a brand of bagel that any of you are buying that has more fiber? I don't have to worry about carbs & in fact was told NOT to follow a low carb/high protein diet.

Yes, I know cereals have more fiber & I do like cereal occasionally, but a bagel is really quick to grab & go. The size I usually get are the smaller ones that come 6 to a bag, not the bigger kind you'd get at a bagel shop or from Sara Lee.

Thank you in advance for your help.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:30 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't eat bagels but there are a few places you could look for a higher fiber bagel.

1) Lender's bagels which actually I don't know if they are higher fiber but they are a smaller size and may have a version that is high in fiber.

2) Natural food store - Try Trader Joe's/Wild Oat's/etc and check out bagels they sell, a lot of times they have higher fiber bread products.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:15 PM   #3  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

There is a bagel called an "everything" bagel that has a good amount of fiber in it. The only thing is, it's about twice the size of a Lender's bagel.

You might also try adding one of the high-fiber yogurt drinks to your breakfast. There's one that's got 6 gr. of fiber and 170 cals. I can't remember the name of it right now.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I would recommend going to a bagel shop and getting their whole wheat bagels....those will have more fiber because they're made with WW flour, rather than the enriched, refined, high glycemic white flour utilized in the majority of bagel flavors......LIKE, (sorry Jennelle) the everything bagel. The increased fiber content in the everything bagel comes from the seeds, which are "adhered" to the dough with fat. While yummy, they're considerably higher in fat and sodium than other bagels. I know my bagels, people -- for 7 years I managed 9 stores and providing product training for a company on the west coast that some of you may know of: Noah's Bagels, and their recipes were used by a company more of you might have heard of: Einstein Bagels.

I hesitated to answer because you clearly stated you want an ONION bagel. And I don't know of an onion bagel that meets your needs -- if someone else does, I'd love to learn about it too! If you're married to the onion bagel for breakfast thing, maybe you could add fiber to your diet elsewhere? Like with soybeans or other legumes, or some dry All-Bran Extra Fiber, or select fruit. Just a thought. Good luck!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:45 PM   #5  

If you are determined to eat an onion bagel for breakfast and you want to increase your fiber consumption ... then eat the bagel and just take psyllium capsules. Metamucil makes them, and Target also has a copy-cat version. They are in bottles with blue caps. This is a 100% natural plant fiber, the supplement that Dr. Andrew Weil recommends and in use for thousands of years. Just be sure to follow the directions and drink plenty of water WITH the capsules so that they dissolve and expand as they need to. Also, don't take them at the same time you take any medications or supplements, and the fiber can interfere with the absorption.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:43 PM   #6  
Crazy Canuck

I lurrrves those onion bagels too SAPF (not toasted or buttered), but I hear you about the lack of fibre...

If its the idea of a bagel that's more important to you than the onion flavour, I can recommend Dempsters Whole Wheat & Honey (don't worry, they don't taste sweet). I don't know if you have Tim Horton's there, but they have a fantastic pumpernickel bagel with 6.5g of fibre (its nice and chewy too). I limit myself to one bagel a week now, and that's the one I go for!

Okay, my break's over and its back to the kitchen for me. I've just finished baking a batch of my infamous chocolate fudge brownies (I didn't even lick the bowl) and now its on to harvest pasta salad and sweet potato and apple casserole. My sister dictated what I have to bring for the thanksgiving feast, but I won't be partaking in anything I've made, so bring on that lean, white turkey meat and my mum's mixed green salad with mandarin orange viniagrette!! yuuuummmmmy
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:21 PM   #7  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Sarah! Who knew we had a bagel expert in our midst! We are definitely an eclectic group of people!

That explains why the everything bagel has twice the fiber but is also twice the size.

I've never had a whole wheat bagel. Of course, I have to drive 30 minutes to get to the nearest fresh bagel shop!
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:56 AM   #8  

Oh Boy. SAPF I have no bagel advice for you, since I no longer eat them, but I am a true true true bagel fan.....being Jewish 'n' all. I am sitting here virtuously eating my healthy breakfast of high fibre crispbread, low-fat cheese and apple, and dreaming of bagels, cream-cheese and lox (smoked salmon).........good luck on that bagel-hunt SAPF!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote