Old 06-19-2004, 08:34 PM   #1  
Live for the Moment!

Default OT: Summer Reads...

Thought I'd get a thread started where we can all put down some of our favorite books that will give other's ideas on what to pick up for summer readers while sitting on the beach or a relaxing day in the backyard...

Here's mine:

- Confessions of a Shopaholic (followed by Shopaholic takes Manhatten, then Shopaholic ties the Knot)
- Lovely Bones
- The Pelican Brief (its old, but one of my faves)

Those are some that I've read, and I'm wanting to read:

- The Devil wears Prada
- Trading Up
- Girls' Polker Night
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:45 PM   #2  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I'm so bad, I don't read. While I love reading, I haven't been able to find time to read a book in years. I love Danielle Steel and VC Andrews though
Raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I am in the process of reading the Purpose Driven Life.. I have mixed emotions about it but for the most part I am enjoying it! I've always liked the notebook and and of course juicy romance novels!!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:02 PM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Oooh, books!

I'm one of those people who usually has at least two books and several magazines going at a time -- I just can't get enough to read. I'm insatiable! Right now I'm reading The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich for fiction, and The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama for nonfiction. Both are absolutely excellent and I'd wholeheartedly recommend them! (For magazines, the current frontrunner is FitnessRX for Women, with Health a not-so-distant second. Love 'em both!)

Maybe I'll return with a short list of some of my faves.

Great thread, Brooklyn! (And may I say it's nice to see you back! )
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 12:11 PM   #5  

I read like a maniac! My taste is very diverse. I can go from something about the meaning of life to a nice romance novel. I will have to work up a list of my favorites. My all time favorites are The Dune series by Frank Herbert. Now, those are some books that any reader can take a message from. I'm not even a sci-fi fan, but those books just rock my world and then some!
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 12:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

here's my favorite, yet again:

good in bed by jennifer weiner

i'll also suggest some other fun light reads:

summer sisters by judy blume
angels by marion keyes
sushi for beginners by marion keyes
can you keep a secret? by sophie kinsella

these are all fun chick lit books.
gonzostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:46 AM   #7  
Losing Again!

Girls Poker Night is a great read!

I've also liked
The Pink Slip
Best Friends
Mr Maybe
See Jane Date
and several others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Great thread!
Daners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:00 AM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Daners - it's so good to see you!!!

Gretchen: Purpose Driven Life.. changed my life (my signature is from that book) If you can.. do the book with a friend.

Good thread - I need to find a new book to read.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Dana- I am actually reading it with 3 others. Its interesting because we are all getting something a little different from it..
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:25 AM   #10  
Abby's Mommy

OK...I'll admit it...I pretty much only read romance novels. Every now and then Ill read a non fiction book on Civil War History or something, but mainly novels and magazines. Wow... I really need to expand my library to include some worthwhile reading materials! But, I really like to do needle crafts more than reading. Ive usually got a lapfull of yarn crocheting something, or cross stitching, or scrapbooking, or sewing, or painting something. Im a sucker for most " old fashioned " hand crafts. I read crochet patterns all the time...does that count?
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

I just finished "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown (he also wrote "The DaVinci Code"). They're both really fun, easy-to-read books ... thriller/mystery fiction books, both surrounding some concepts from Catholicism.

I like to read historical fiction. One author's name is Margaret George. She wrote books about Mary Queen of Scots, King Henry VIII, Cleopatra, Mary Magdalene, etc. I haven't read all of them but Mary Magdalene is on my list for later this summer. Rosalind Miles wrote a book called "I, Elizabeth" which was about Elizabeth I - actually I read this one twice.

I've read a couple by Edward Rutherford (he has those big Sarum, Russka, London etc. novels). And I read an interesting one about the last Tsar of Russia, though I can't remember what it was called... And I'm about half way through "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William Shirer (though this is a really detail intensive book, so I've been about half-way through forever, but someday I will finish!).

I'm also a bit of a fan of science fiction fantasy, though it's been years since I sought out any new authors. When I was younger, one of my favourite fantasy authors was David Eddings.
Lekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 12:20 PM   #12  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

Height: 5'5"

Dana - Did I miss something while I was gone? A BABY is on the way? :baby: CONGRATULATIONS! (or CONGRATULATIONS, depending on the case. )

As for books....Sarah, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Louise Erdrich! I thought I was the only person who read her books! No one around here has really heard of her.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #13  
Live for the Moment!

Dana - I would suggest " The Lovely Bones" by Alice Seabold, its been on the bestseller lists for over a year now and I can totally see why... Its amazing, really tugs at your emotions..

Keep the Ideas coming ladies - this is great! I've written down tons of ideas...
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #14  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

Height: 5'5"

Celina - I also liked The Lovely Bones. Another one is Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:53 PM   #15  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I am reading two books right now. The Return of the King By Tolken and The Rough Riders by Theodore Roosevelt. I had to take a break after reading the first two books in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy so that is when I started the Rough Riders. It's a very interesting book on the Spanish American war.

My favorite book is Jubal Sacket by Louis Lamore. I also love reading Charles Dickens.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote