Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:30 AM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default Feeling discouraged

Please forgive me if I am sounding whiny. Sometimes it helps me sort out my thoughts, or feel better if I write about things. I felt that here you all would probably understand, and I have been told to come here for the good times and the bad.

I am not old (48 ~ my head says that that is not old) but my body feels old. My feet pain, my joints ache, my hand joints ache. Because of the foot pain, I haven't been able to walk for my exercise. I like to travel and go sight seeing, but feet hurt too bad to enjoy that ~ and that would be a good way to have fun and exercise too. Because of the hand pain, I haven't been able to use the computer as much ~ that has been my source of connecting with people. Life is just not very enjoyable right now because of all the things I want to do, and I ache too much to do them. I try to stay off my feet to rest them up for the next days of work. That is not good, I need to move so I can get this weight off. How I wish now, that I had taken care of all this when I felt good. Why do I always procrastinate about stuff. I have some dr's appointments to see about these things, but I guess I am impatient to feel better.

Also I am feeling guilty, because I know there are people who are in far worse circumstances than I am. I shouldn't be whining.

Part of my discouragement is to have to admit to myself ~ that my husband has probably been right all along, and all my ailments are because of my fatness. I have been trying to make excuses for myself all along ~ telling myself that small people have achy joints, high blood pressure etc. I would like to blame him for some of my episodes of stuffing in the junk food, but ultimately, I am the one who did this to myself.

Well, enough whining. Thank you all for listening.

Gayle

Last edited by glynne; 11-04-2003 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:41 AM   #2  

Gayle,

I'm on my work break, and just have a second, but wanted to send you big HUGS!!! I hope you feel better!

Take care,
Sherry
Old 11-04-2003, 12:37 PM   #3  

Hello Gayle...from another NC gal...I can so relate. My problem is that my feet hurt sooo bad to that I am afraid to walk much...in a exercise form that is. I am constantly having to pace myself...planning what I will do in a given day..because I know that I will pay a dear price if I over do it?...It is a very depressing way to live!!!!

At the present I am in the 300's so I also have a lot of knee pain. I have found that swimming DOES HELP! Do you have any access to a swimming pool?..Maybe at the local hospital. I belong to the healthquest at a local hospital where they have a therapy pool and a large lap pool where they offer two joint action classes daily!..If I go like I should...on a regular basis...it does help the PAIN!

I am not doing so great with my eating!..I am attempting to be mindful of my eating (Dr. Phil book's) and also I am trying to learn to FEEL TRUE hunger?....I would love to walk everyday in a true exercise form....maybe one day!

I know now..whenever I work a full day..or go shopping at maybe three different stores..My feet swell and feel hot. Almost like I have been walking on hot sharp rocks is the way I explain it to my husband. I also have good ol' arthur in my spine.

So how is your way of eating going?..I hate to say diet..Also I have been reading alot lately about stretching...but I do not have a video or such to follow...I feel so un-flexible at times. Do you?...Also What kind of shoes do you mainly wear?..I wear Birkenstock and New Balance and also Easy Spirit for dresser styles. My mom likes SAS?..Kim in NC
Old 11-04-2003, 08:20 PM   #4  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

There's nothing wrong with whining as long as you don't let it take over your life. The most important thing is to get on the right type of food plan for you, and to get your doctor's opinion of what exercises would be best for you. As the weight starts to come down you will find that it will help relieve some of the pain you currently experience and you'll be able to do the type of exercises that you really enjoy.

I agree that the water exercises would be a great exercise program for you if you have a pool nearby. But if not, at least concentrate on doing what you can do - any extra movement will help improve your joints and increase your weight loss even if you just go to Wal Mart and buy some of the stretch bands so that you can stretch while sitting and watching TV.

Melissa
Old 11-04-2003, 09:08 PM   #5  
missaprylj

I'm sorry that you're having a tough time and I don't really know what to say. I would like to tell you though, not to apologize, you can *ALWAYS* come here to gripe and for tons of support, on your "on days" and more importantly on your "off days." Any time, we'll be here. *hugs* -Apryl

Old 11-04-2003, 09:26 PM   #6  
Crazy Canuck

A little whine is good for the soul (and a little wine is sometimes even better). The fact that you're thinking long and hard about what you can do to feel better about your weight and health AND examining what's holding you back proves that you're not satisfied to let the bad vibes take over. Go visit the "baby steps" thread to get some fresh ideas to get you on the right track and remember that we're always here for you and we all know exactly where you are and where you want to be - stick with us kid, there's safety in numbers

And you're right - 48 is NOT old (and that's coming from one who may be that on the outside but is still 18 on the inside)
Old 11-04-2003, 11:14 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

yes, darlin.. what everyone has said... baby steps. admit the truth of the problem. comfy shoes [from a woman who bought a pair of men's shoes yesterday because they FIT and none of the women's shoes did!!!!]

bike riding is also fine for the joints. and maybe your doc could prescribe some physical therapy sessions. at our weight, sometimes our muscles are too weak to support any sort of exercise and some supervised PT sessions can help strengthen, and show us what we should be doing.

but also, get checked out. aches and pains in the fingers are NOT generally weight related.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:09 AM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Default Re: Feeling discouraged

Quote:
Originally posted by glynne
my husband has probably been right all along, and all my ailments are because of my fatness.
That makes me mad.

Everyone has bad days. I am having a bad year. We know where you're at, I am there myself. We can & will do this, though. We've just got to!
Old 11-05-2003, 08:32 AM   #9  

Glynne, ((((HUGS)))). I'm sorry you're so down right now. We are her for you! I know it's hard to get moving when you're sore and discouraged, but once you start, you will start feeling better and it WILL get easier. It doesn't feel like it, but it will. Have you tried a recumbent bike. You sit back in the seat, almost like a chair, so you're not bearing any body weight on your feet, just pedaling. They have them at most gyms and YMCA's and I also bought one at K-Mart once for about $100 brand new. You could probably find them at garage sales too.

I know someone already mentioned swimming too and that is great exercise and feels so good.

Whatever you decide to do, we'll be with you every step of the way.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Many hugs to you! I'm sorry you're feeling so bad--pain is the pits and the great demotivator. I'm really glad you've made a doctor's appointment to find out the real source of the pain.

I think the swimming idea is excellent, and, from what I've read, will actually soothe your joints. If your foot pain is plantar fascitis (sp?), please look into orthotics. After treatment with a foot doc and getting orthotics, I was finally able to walk again despite my weight.

Simple stretching also helps those tight muscles and aching joints. Try a stretching video--there's a thread here where Sherry posted some great videos to try.

Please don't worry about being whiny--for one thing, you're not. Sharing good times and bad times with others is helpful to you and actually to all of us who are feeling the same way, but don't have the courage to share.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:18 PM   #11  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Jiffypop is right. You aren't going to have joint pain in your hands from being overweight. Could be a lot of things causing joint pain. Please go to the dr and see what he/she has to say.

Please feel free to come here and whine away. What are we here for if not to be shoulders to cry on, sounding boards and your own on-line support group?
Old 11-06-2003, 01:42 PM   #12  

Default I know the feeling ....

A newbie here .... and don't even know where to start ... wondering again WHICH diet to try next, after trying them ALL before, with 120 pounds to lose. Physically disabled, being treated for major depressive disorder/bi-polar, and just about at my wits end after five years of this fat hanging all over me.

When you've never had a weight problem -- I didn't -- and have done all the aerobics, exercise, dancing, for years, then gradually turn into what feels like a beached whale , it's really difficult to figure out what to do to get back to the "old me." Can't exercise, except for swimming, because of spinal disabilities, peripheral neuropathy, and can't drive because of eye disabilities, so ... what do I do next??? This 2-pounds a week weight loss stuff is just too discouraging. I need a quick start to get some confidence going.

Was thinking of leptoprin until I read articles about it ... and was more than a little skeptical after seeing that gal on TV ... did you notice she said she weighed 150-something and wore a size 7????? Puhleeeeze ... she must have glued a size 7 on, piece by piece, cuz there's no way 150 gets into a 7.

So ... I'm feeling ...

Ronda
Old 11-06-2003, 02:36 PM   #13  

Ronda, Welcome and glad to have you!! I think it depends on much of your weight is muscle, since muscle weighs more. I'm by no means muscular, but I exercise at least 5 days a week. At my weight, I wear a size 6 or 8, so it's definitely possible.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:19 PM   #14  

Default muscle weight?

Really doesn't have anything to do with it ... measurements do ... and I find it really difficult to believe anybody 150 pounds can wear a 7 ... a 10-12 .. maybe ... NOT a 7 ... I weighed 115 when I wore a 5 or 7 ... and trust me, you won't wear one at 150 ... unless you know something about some kind of new sizing that I don't. I don't know why people have to exagerate about stuff like that ... it really isn't important in the scheme of things.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:52 PM   #15  

Blond Ambition - Muscle really does weigh more than fat and take up less space. This is why two people can weigh 150 pounds and take completely different sizes. When you start to work out, you may find that you even start to gain weight, while loosing clothing size.

Somebody who religiously works out will certainly carry more muscle mass than fat cells.

I weigh 185 and wear a size 14-16, but there are others who are wearing the same size as me, but are closer to 200....they likely have a more muscular frame than me....

This is why many people suggest that you take your measurements when you start loosing weight...this is a much more accurate measurement than the scale.

Good luck to you....
Closed Thread