Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 10:18 AM   #1  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Default For those addicted to the scale...

If, like me, you just HAVE to step on the scale every morning, this article is for you. You may have seen it before -- it's been out there for a while. It tells you about the different factors that can influence your weight on a daily basis. Forwarned is forearmed. /grin

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspart...ight/scale.htm

On a side note, my funniest scale story is that one morning I stepped on the scale and got a reading. I then took a shower, and tried again. Up six pounds, just from the shower!

So, even though I do tend to weigh myself every morning, I know it isn't a hard-and-fast measurement. It has to do with what I ate the day before. Or drank -- alcohol makes me retain water. Or how hard I worked out. Or how my hormones are fluctuating today. Or, in my humble opinion, whether the wind is from the northwest and the humidity is high. /sigh

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the article.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:42 AM   #2  
Crazy Canuck

Great article - thanks for posting the link synger.

I'm one of those obsessive scales people and it never ceases to amaze me how my weight can fluctuate several pounds in a day. Now I have a better understanding of why and although I'll probably still be jumping on and off the scales a couple of times daily (force of habit) at least I won't unnecessarily go into a state of depression if I don't like what I see. I had a friend who couldn't break the scales habit and she told her husband to hide the scales. She discovered them in the car trunk months later when she had a flat tire and needed to get the spare
Old 09-24-2003, 01:04 PM   #3  
2006 - Panda Remix

Thanks Synger - that was just what I needed. After my trauma's on the weekly weigh in tread on Saturday, it has really helped me to gain some perspective.

I have to disagree about one point though - it says it is humanly impossible to eat 17,500 calories - I'm sure I've come pretty close at times!! (I'm joking!!)

Amanda xx
Old 09-24-2003, 01:25 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the article! I am actually going through scale withdraw right now. WIth my new program, she challenged me to only weigh in once a month. Tomorrow will be one week and I am already dying to know how I am doing. But I will try and hold out.

It is funny, though. Since I don't have the scale to worry about, I kinda forget about it. It doesn't seem like my plan is as "week to week", it is more like it's just there.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:48 PM   #5  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

About that 17,500 calories thing... it made me think of the first time I tried the Atkins diet (before he modified it to focus on lean protein and more veggies/fruits). I swear some days I ate nothing but salami or pepperoni with cream cheese on it, rolled around green onions. YUM!!

It's still one of my favorite party foods, but now I use the lowfat turkey pepperoni -- lots of protein and VERY low fat -- with lowfat cream cheese. And I only eat a couple of them instead of eating them all day long.
Closed Thread