Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 03:23 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Female problems - anyone been through this?

After I had my 2 year old son my period changed a lot. I went back on the same birth control I had been on previously and didn't have a period for months. I thought it was just my body sorting itself out so I wasn't worried. After about 6 months I went to my dr and got a different kind of pill. I took that for about 6 months as well. I would get my period 2 days before I was supposed to start my next pack of pills and the period would be very light. I always had light periods so I wasn't too worried. Toward the end of that 6 months I was not doing more than a bit of spotting. Also I was having killer headaches 2-3 days that I wasn't taking any birth control. Back to the dr I went for another type of pill. This pack is my 3rd of this kind. I've hardly had any period at all and this month I've felt like I am pregnant (I'm not, I took a home test). I feel so bloated and crampy and my lower back is really sore. I don't know what to think, something is obviously going on there. I have a dr's appt on Monday so hopefully she can help me out but I was just wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms and what was the result?
Old 09-20-2003, 04:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

I found that with every pregnancy my whole cycle changed in terms of timing and type/heaviness of bleeding. I asked my OB/Gyn about it and she said it was just getting old (I was 32 at the time!!!).

I found when I was on the pill many years ago that my cycle was always lighter. I also took Celexa for a year and my cycles were also different on this - more interference with hormonal stuff I guess.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:28 PM   #3  
Losin It For GOOD!

I had similar problems and they discovered a fibroid tumor with an ultrasound - minor surgery to have it removed and now I'm fine. They are rare after having a baby though.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:47 PM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I take Depo Provera. I have for eight years and I love it. It means no periods for me and I like it that way.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of periods as much as I would the other symptoms. Also, have you considered the Vaginal Contraceptive Ring. Here's some info on it:

The facts: The vaginal contraceptive ring (also called "the ring") is a flexible, transparent, colorless vaginal ring measuring two inches in diameter that releases a continuous low dose of estrogen and progestin. The ring is inserted into the vagina for three weeks and is then removed for one week while the woman has her period. A new ring is used with each cycle. It is inserted and removed by pressing the sides of the ring together between the thumb and index finger and gently pushing it in or pulling it out of the vagina. Use begins on or before the fifth day of a woman's period.

How well it works: 98 to 99 percent effective in preventing pregnancy, but effectiveness decreases with improper use.

Pros:
• Dosage schedule is easy to follow, as the ring only needs to be changed once a month (compared to birth control pills, which must be taken every day).
• Easily inserted and removed.
• As the doses of hormones are low and steady, little spotting or irregular bleeding occurs, and ovulation returns quickly after a woman stops using the ring.

Cons:
• Does not provide protection against STDs.
• Reported side effects include vaginal infections and irritation, discharge, headache, weight gain, and nausea, some of which are similar to those of birth control pills.
• Women who use the ring are strongly advised not to smoke, as doing so can increase the risk of severe cardiovascular side effects.
• Not suggested for women who are or may be pregnant, or have blood clots, severe high blood pressure, certain cancers or a history of heart attacks and strokes.
Closed Thread