Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 10:00 PM   #1  

Default ot- 09/11 anniversary

Warning-depressing post...

I'm already dreading tomorrow. I was so fortunate not to lose anyone that day..thank god our friend Rick who worked at the WTC overslept that day, and missed his usual train.

Does anyone plan on going to any memorials? I don't know whether to bury my head in the sand, or watch the news tomorrow.

We live 15 minutes from where Todd Beamer lived, so there's a lot going on around here tomorrow. Since I live in NJ, a lot of the victims were from this area. I still think about one particular person. I don't remember her name actually, but just her story-a woman who lived in Princeton , NJ who tried for five years to have a child. She and her husband finally had a baby. She returned to the WTC one day early from her maternity leave, on 9/11. She won't get to see her baby grow up... I cry just thinking about it.

I'm sorry to depress anyone. I just still can't get over how many lives were lost.

good night,
Sherry
Old 09-10-2003, 10:16 PM   #2  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Every day that has pasted since 9/11 I have thought about that day of horror. I will never forget - when I saw innocent people jump from a 110 storey building - I thought to myself, oh my god - the world will never be the same.
People just like you and me jump to their death in absolute fear - can you think of anything more frightening. All the nightmares that I have had in my life can not be compared to the horror of that day.

I understand that memorials are a way to show our concern.. but for some reason that just doesn't seem like enough for what common day folk did on that day.

Dana
Old 09-10-2003, 10:38 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

It's amazing to me, how life goes on despite the horrors of that day. I think I am kind of a bury my head in the sand kind of person. I am not terrible proud of it, but I honestly cannot handle too much of it. It's too much for me.

Tomorrow will be a day to pull my head out and remember.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:37 PM   #4  
missaprylj

I just can't even fathom thinking back to two years ago tonight and how *DIFFERENT* I was.... how innocent... how different the whole country was... it was a different world 2 years ago tonight.

I hope that we do something in school this year, last year all of the teachers blew it off and I was pissed about it. I know one thing for sure, tomorrow I'm listening to my patriotic CD and when we say the pledge in school, I'm saying it extra loud and proud tomorrow.

God Bless America.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:25 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

i got to watch the whole thing from a hospital bed and they buttoned down the hospital since we're less than 30 miles from nyc and put everyone on 12 hour shifts. the courage of the staff impressed me. they'd put in their extra long shifts and then went to the site and dug, served food, ran errands, whatever needed to be done and then came back to take care of ME!!!!

i can never forget the courage and compassion of these people in the face of such horrific tragedy.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:27 AM   #6  
Crazy Canuck

I'll never forget pulling into my office underground parking garage and hearing on the radio that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I presumed mechanical failure because it was beyond my thinking that it could possibly be terrorism. By the time I was up in my office tower it was on the news that the second building was hit - then the dread of realization set in - it WAS deliberate! As we all stood helplessly glued to the television, the juxposition of horrifying and wonderfully heroic images penetrated our souls. So many emotions - disbelief, grief and for those lucky ones, relief. And so many emotions that followed, the most important perhaps being the hope and indominable spirit of the American people. I may be Canadian, but I've lost count of the times I've prayed "God Bless America".
Old 09-11-2003, 02:41 AM   #7  
beautiful

just a couple days before 9-11 happened i was visiting with my aunt. i was kind of depressed (single mom and being pregnant at the time did something horrible to my hormones). i remember telling my aunt that i thought the end of the world was coming. then on 9-11 i heard a man on the radio say "this tuesday, september 11, 2001, is the end of the world as we know it"

i still get very emotional about the OKC bombing. it brings tears to my eyes to think about all that i have that the people who suffered in the WTC (and OKC) will never get to have. we take too much for granted.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:20 AM   #8  
Searching

I think we should remember. But in some ways its too close, like going to any events today would pull the scab off an old wound. Today I will remeber and reflect and try not to be alone. If we can all be kinder to one another, and remember that we are all people. Each of us beautiful, unique, full of hopes, and dreams. Bring our own little bit of peace into this crazy world.

Miss Chris
Old 09-11-2003, 05:30 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

For my film class, my professor wanted us to watch the Rick Burns documentary. I bawled through most of it. However one thing that was said really stood out in my mind:

The terrorist hated humanity so much that the sought to destroy it by crashing the planes into the towers, 343 firemen and police officers loved humanity so much that they lost their own lives trying to save it.

I think that says a lot about the human spirit.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:55 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 7"

I always thought the towers were really ugly, but it still broke my heart to watch them collapse.

Me, my mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother were all born in south Brooklyn across the river from southern Manhattan. My dad and brother were both born in Manhattan.

I worked at Rockefeller Center for 10 years -- and my Park Slope apartment had a view of the World Trade Center and the Statue of Liberty (yes, it was rent-controlled).

My brother, fortunately, was on the road, even though his company headquarters was there. My college lost alums -- and it was a small school.

A friend of mine works with a dean at the U of Michigan who was also born and raised in the city, who, when discovered crying in her office, said, " You don't understand, that was my Home Town!". I guess that's what's wrong with me. . I know that I'm lucky that I lost no people, but I love my home town dearly.

I've been crying on and off all day -- next year, I'm not turning on the TV or the radio. I can't do this again. I'm way too emotional, and this can get to be like wallowing.

Last edited by KristasMom; 09-11-2003 at 08:01 PM.
Closed Thread