Old 07-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/295/185

Height: 5' 11"

Default Depressed from losing?

I don't want to sound ungrateful for the weight loss I've had, but does anyone else get depressed about how far they still have to go?

I've yo-yoed many times, and usually I feel pretty good at this weight. But this time it's different. This time I just want the weight off. And I look at how big I still am and how much I have to go and it just sucks the enthusiasm out of me.

I don't want that feeling to make me overly concentrated on every last pound and cause me to drastically change what I'm doing -- which is sustainable -- to try and get faster and larger loss.

Just wondering if anyone else has felt this way and what made it pass.
Emy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Yes! This thought, and so many more. I know absolutely how you feel, and I am the yo-yo queen.

What gets me through - I focus on the process and try to respect and enjoy it. I hate restricting sugar. But I hate even more the drugged-up, uncomfortable, heart-burny sensation I can get when I stuff myself, which I am much more likely to do to myself when I eat lots of sugar and other simple carbs. I am too big, but at this weight, I fit into most roller coasters, for example. Interim rewards are pretty terrific. When I am actively pursuing fitness (which I am totally trying to do again right now), my whole body feels better, and I feel better about it all.

I tend to be an easier and more enjoyable person to be around when my eating is healthier and my fitness levels are higher. If I am able to take that as my reward (which--I promise you--continues to be really difficult, even though I've been doing this for a decade or more) instead of just focusing on the weight loss, this is an easier and better process for me.

Last edited by LaurieDawn; 07-23-2015 at 10:42 AM.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #3  
will it ever stick??? lol

S/C/G: 283.6/236.8/155

Height: 5'6

I absolutely know how you feel! I put something up like this a while ago. Lost 39 lbs still have twice that to go... its super depressing. I just want to live a normal life but if I eat a bad meal I balloon up again. it sucks
Amberkkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #4  
Amanda

S/C/G: 272.5/see ticker/172.5

Height: 5'4

Yes, yes, triple yes! I totally get it! I just want to be DONE already, but I know that slow and steady ultimately wins the race. Slow and steady is just so SLOW AND BORING. Ugh.

We can do this. I know we can!
DreadPiratePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/295/185

Height: 5' 11"

Thank you all! I feel better knowing it's not just me!
Emy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 299/159/129

Height: 5'1

" I just want to live a normal life" I've learned on my journey that to not only lose but keep it off ( Another Yo-Yo here) I had to do things radically different. As they say" The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again expecting different results." This time I'm living my forever "normal" life right now. I'm adding as much good nutrition in as possible (but only till I'm full) yet never let myself feel deprived. I just learned healthier ways of having my favs. I won't change things when I get to goal. Not planning on adding back unhealthy foods like sugar.
But, of course, I wish that last 58 pounds would hurry on out of here,. I've lost 111 but had trouble celebrating that too much because I keep looking at that 58! But I'm living my day to day life right now- not sitting around waiting for change. When you are 64 you want to live every second the best you can fat or not- no wasted days here.
FairyGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #7  

I don't think about how far I have "left to go"...been there, done that and know that it really does me no good because doing so just results in me becoming frustrated and quitting because of perceived lack of progress.

Instead I focus only on today. Today is in my control. Tomorrow and yesterday are not. Not every day is perfect, of course. But it doesn't have to be either.

As long as I am actively meeting daily targets I set then I know that the day was successful. I get up every morning and commit for the day. But if for whatever reason I don't meet the targets one day, I ask myself why and think about what I could have done differently in case whatever barrier it was ever comes up again.
emilyFIT is offline   Reply With Quote