Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #1  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Default Best Weight Loss Tool

Ok this thread has been done before, but I love seeing what people say and always get great ideas.

So what tools/ideas/etc have you found that really help you?

Water, water bottles, 3FC and chicken breasts are givens so you'll have to come up with other stuff.

For me - my blender has been a big help.

I got a Blendtech blender at Costco, which kinda broke the bank, lol, but I'm glad I got it. I use it to make smoothies and put spinach, and chia seeds (now also at Costco!) in with fruit and yogurt for a delicious vitamin rich breakfast. It cleans up so easily that I love using it - I hated blenders in the past because they were a pain to clean. I was almost sure I'd be returning my blender within a week - but I've had it for over a month now and use it a lot.

Last edited by rodeogirl; 04-14-2013 at 11:30 PM.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Protein shakes! Low calorie and filling!
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #3  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Digital Scales! Helps me learn what is a proper portion and servings, etc. instead of eyeballing.

I love green smoothies!

Last edited by amandie; 04-15-2013 at 12:30 AM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #4  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

The Internet in general, and cheese sticks. Easy portion control!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #5  
:)

S/C/G: 275/268/200

Height: 5'7"

Myfitnesspal app to log everything, the internet & websites like: pinterest, youtube, etc. They all help me find good work outs and healthy recipes.
ataraxia3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:245 CW:ticker GW:145

Height: 5'

My food scale and regular scale! WW tracking app. 3FC of course. Greek yogurt- I eat it everyday and it really keeps me full. Frozen shelled edamame. I'm sure Ill think of more and add later
Curvycurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #7  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Food scale, measuring cups, and my glass water bottle.

I'm spatially challenged and can't eyeball portions at all - and it goes both ways! Today I was weighing out ground turkey for my taco salad lunches this week - one serving I'd eyeball and it turned out a couple ounces over the weight I'd intended, and the next serving I'd eyeball - thinking in my mind it was about the same size as the last, and it would be a couple ounces short...

I LOVE my glass water bottle! I used to struggle to get my water requirements in daily because I didn't like the "taste" of the water. It wasn't the water I didn't like, it was the plastic leaching into it. Now. I'd rather drink water over other drinks, except the occasional diet coke
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #8  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Trust. Trust in my body and it's hunger signals. Trust that I will not lose motivation. Trust that I am doing the right thing for my future family. Trust that my body is capable to losing. Trust that my body will equal out at a healthy weight. Trust I'll stop eating. Trust I'll make the right choices. Trust.

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 04-15-2013 at 09:50 AM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #9  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

As I was thinking about this, the only "tools" I can think of -- other than the obvious ones already mentioned - are food. I have never used a scale to weigh food, a blender - or any other small kitchen appliance. For me, the key has been finding substitute foods and substitute ways of eating.

Protein Shakes. I have to second the protein shake. I have one every morning for breakfast.

Frozen Cauliflower / and Spaghetti Squash. I'm not crazy about either of these by themselves, but doctored up I love them. Cauliflower is my oft-used substitute for potato and rice in meals. For example, I make a chicken tikka masala. But instead of serving it over rice, I mix in chopped up steamed cauliflower right into the chicken and the sauce. It comes out so good. I used to buy whole heads of cauliflower. But it is SO much easier - and just as tasty - to use the frozen variety. It takes a lot of time out of the preparation and cleanup. I don't make spaghetti squash nearly as often as I do cauliflower for this very reason. Its not nearly as easy to make as the cauliflower. But when I do, it comes out so good. I usually do a shrimp scampi with it.

Spices. I touched on this above with the reference to the chicken tikka masala. I have found that I am using a lot more varied spices to make my meals more interesting and tasty now.

Bagged Lettuce The only way for me to fill myself up at lunch without over eating protein or starches is to fill up on lettuce and veggies. I typically eat one of two things for lunch every day. One is grilled fish/chicken and veggies. The other is a big salad with turkey/chicken/tuna. For sake of convenience I buy the pre-washed bagged lettuce. The 5oz size is the perfect size for one salad for me. I like the spring mix.

Greek Yogurt. I pretty much only use it as a substitute for sour cream. I get the Fage 0%.

Pollo Tropical. Chicken breast was mentioned as one of the obvious tools. Pollo Tropical is a fast food restaurant in my area that makes really good grilled chicken marinated in Caribbean spices. I probably get chicken from this place 3 to 4 times a week. Sometimes when I don't have time to cook I'll buy some boneless chicken breasts from there and incorporate it into other recipes. For example, I often use it in the chicken tikka masala that I make. I know that most of you won't have this chain near you, but I thought it was worth mentioning because many people think that fast food is inherently bad. There are, however, some good fast food. Boston Market is another place that I sometimes go to. Oh and Miami Subs (another local place). I get their Gyro meat sometimes when I have a craving for it. I'll eat it without any pita or put it on my own low-carb pita. SO good!

The Trunk of My Car. Ok, so I did think of a "tool", if I can call it one. This is my scientific method for portion control! This is where I put my almonds, if and when I buy them. If I keep them in my house or my desk at work, I will eat entire 1lb bag of them in a couple days. When I keep them in my car, I will take out a handful when I get to work and when I leave. But I have never gone out to my car to get them. So, it has worked for me. Its the ONLY thing that has kept me from binging on them! Now, if I could only store cheese in my trunk! I'm still working on that one.

Last edited by joefla70; 04-15-2013 at 10:22 AM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Single serving packages:

Cracker Barrel Low-fat cheese: one serving.
Safra Hummus: one serving
small yogurt cup: one serving
apple: (mother's nature's package) one serving.

When I eat a snack in a single-serving size it always seems like enough.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #11  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

tea! I've replaced gallons upon gallons of soda with green teas in great flavors!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Underwater and Joe,

What protein shakes do you like?

Thanks!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Counting calories! I've never been able to lose weight if I don't count calories...weight watchers points don't cut it either.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

A good digital scale that doesn't give you different numbers every time you step on it is the most important thing.

Closely followed by my digital travel scale that I can pack and take with me on foreign trips.

I would be dead in the water without my numbers.

But also hoppy beer. I know no-one trusts it but it kills my food cravings, offsets minor hunger and even large amounts don't seem to make me gain weight. Plus, I use beer as a reward to not eat the stuff that might tempt me. It's also a mild diuretic which helps me lose water (you pee more than the beer you drink)...but need to be careful I don't lose too much water and get dehydrated else I get a gain upon rehydration or a stall.

Last edited by IanG; 04-15-2013 at 12:43 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #15  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
Trust. Trust in my body and it's hunger signals. Trust that I will not lose motivation. Trust that I am doing the right thing for my future family. Trust that my body is capable to losing. Trust that my body will equal out at a healthy weight. Trust I'll stop eating. Trust I'll make the right choices. Trust.

Oh, this is so beautiful and so true. Well said!
  • Trust
  • 3FC website
  • Online recipes and beautiful food blogs with photos!
  • My printer for printing said recipes
  • Water and water bottles
  • A safe friend
  • My scale
  • Ability to purchase nutrition
  • My juicer
  • A willingness to try new foods
  • Stores with a variety of unique ingredients to aid me in my delicious recipe making!
  • A comfortable bed
  • A variety of clothing to accommodate my need for different sizes
  • Friends with whom I can talk weight loss
  • Self-acceptance and self-love (self-appreciation, positive self-regard, feeling I deserve to take care of myself)
  • Measuring spoons and measuring cups

Last edited by belovedspirit; 04-15-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Forgot a few. ;)
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote