Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 03:20 PM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default A question

Hello everyone!

I have a question ~ do any of you have problems with foot pain or joint pain and stiffness. (I am a nurse and on my feet a lot.) When you had lost a good amount of weight, did you have less pain and stiffness. I feel that probably my size has a lot to do with it, but I know smaller people whose feet pain them. I guess I am just looking for some hope here ~ not that I would give up if I found out that losing weight didn't help that, just hopeful that it will help.

Thank you for your help.

Gayle
Old 05-19-2003, 03:31 PM   #2  

Gayle,

I'm already finding that I have a lot less aches and pains. I used to wake up every morning with my back sore and hurting, but not any more. I also used to have a lot of pain in my feet when I would get up in the morning, and it's much less now. It's not completely gone, but it is better.

I don't know if this helps any or not, it's just one point of view.

Hang in there!
Old 05-19-2003, 03:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i am having intense ankle/calf pains lately, from trying to start a running program and weighing over 200 lbs still. i'm praying that it will get better as i lose more weight.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:27 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

holly... you DO stretch before you run, don't you???? <please say yes.. or i'll be very disillusioned with you>

and gayle, yes. the leg pain does indeed get better. no more vioxx. no more advil. no more motrin.

AND, in the category of 'i didn't believe it when they told me, and they were right,' the physical therapist told me that if i strengthened my thigh muslcles that the knee pain would lessen considerably, as the muscles would bear the brunt of the jostling and not the joint.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:08 PM   #5  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Holly - STRETCH those calves before you run - at least five minutes of good, intense stretching. If I don't stretch before I run, I get horrible horrible shin splints - feels like someone's beating me in the shin with a baseball bat! Also, try taking some Advil before you run.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

yes, i stretch, like a good girl =)

i fear i was just trying to do too much too soon. (i was doing a 14 minute mile, on intervals) i'm giving them a break for a bit -- i'm pretty sure i can still swim, so i'll do that for my cardio.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Do you use orthotics, Gayle? I had plantar fascitis (sp?) and orthotics have really helped that even at my heaviest. I believe orthotics are helpful for most types of foot pain.

If you haven't already, you can try the ready-made kind. I went to a podiatrist and had mine custom-made. If they aren't covered by insurance, they cost a bit, but I've had the same set for over five years now.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:17 AM   #8  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Thank you all for you responses and words of hope.

mthrgoos68 ~ yes, it was helpful to know and gave me hope to know that the pain can be less.

holly ~ your experience helped me to remember about stretching before walking.

jiffypop ~ could you help me to know how to do those exercises to strengthen my thigh muscles? Are there any books that have pictures and instructions about how to do stuff like that, or a web site?

Jennelle ~ your reminder to holly about stretching was helpful also.

sheila53 ~ I have had plantar fasciatis also in the past. I started using the ready made orthotics (spenco) and they helped a lot. Now my foot hurts in a different place ~ on the top, and those orthotics don't seem to be of any help for that pain. I went to the foot dr ~ at my mother's urging to see about having orthotics made (she swears by them), and she said that the ready made ones were just as good as the custom made ones, and seemed reluctant to make me some. She said I have tendonitis this time, and gave me a cortisone shot, and some pain cream to rub on my foot. It was better for a while, but now hurts again after working. In the past new shoes had helped, but that doesn't seem to be working this time. And previously, after coming home from work and after I would get up after my sleep,my feet would feel better. Yesterday they did not. I wore an ankle brace and sometimes that seemed to help. I have been kind of experimenting around with different insoles and arch supports ~ trying to find something to help. There is a store nearby called the good feet store ~ I think I might check them out and see if they could offer any help.

Again ~ thank you all for your help.

Gayle
Old 05-21-2003, 12:46 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

This was from a different thread. I thought it was GREAT advice! I don't know if it relates, because of the pain being on the top - but I thought it might help!

Quote:
Originally posted by Goddess Jessica
Common Sense First Steps:
-First, take an anti-inflammatory (like Advil).
-You have good shoes, so no worries there but a lot of times foot trouble can be attributed to your shoes.

Physical Therapy (Stretching!!):
I cannot stress this enough. I went through YEARS of cortisone shots, ortho shoes and was STILL in pain. Thank goodness, I finally left my podiatrist and went to an orthopedic surgeon who said, "Surgery or Physical Therapy?" I chose physical therapy and now I can correct the problem EVERY time I get it.
Here are some stretches:
-I do a Runner's Stretch in the shower or against a wall somewhere in the house. Place hands against wall, place right leg behind you with heel firmly planted on the ground. Bend other knee and stretch counting to 30. You will feel calf stretch. Change feet and repeat. I do this in the morning, at least, and whenever I think of it throughout the day.

-Heel lifts. Hands against the wall, or holding onto a
counter, bend on leg up at the knee and raise yourself up on one foot with your toe. Do this SLOWLY.

-Heel Drops. Stand with heels hanging over the edge of a step and raise up on my toes and then I will slowly come down over the edge as far as you can drop. This is perfect after a walk since it stretches out those calf muscles that have tightened up.

-Ankle Alphabets. Draw the letters of the alphabet with your toe in the air. My first time I got to the letter G and had to stop. Don't be suprised if this is hard!

Desperate??

-The most hated thing in Goddess Jessica's freezer is a dixie cup filled with frozen water. Peel the dixie cup and massage the heel with the exposed ice. This hurts so much!!! But, at one point my heel hurt so much I couldn't walk 10 feet without limping and this would get me through the whole day without thinking about my feet. It is a natural inflammatory and works a million times better than Advil.
Closed Thread