Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy One of my biggest nightmares just came true...

I'm 27 years old, female, and 5'6. Currently weigh 248 and wear a size 22 jeans.

My company is taking all of its employees on a trip to Las Vegas to celebrate the success we've had in the past year.

Sounds great, right? Yeah, I thought that, too.

We have $200 allowance to book our own flights. This is easily accomplished by traveling Southwest. My entire team is planning to fly together both ways on Southwest.

Now, the only thing I know about Southwest is that they seem to be the strictest about fat people needing 2 seats. I've never needed a seat belt extended and I can sit in an airline seat with the armrests down (uncomfortably, but I still physically fit.)

The worst part is that it seems there is no specific weight or dimensions that qualify you for a 2nd seat! How do I know I'm not going to get some gate agent on a bad day! Or that they didn't have some anti-fat pep talk in the last staff meeting and are cracking down. Really I couldn't stand to be asked to buy a 2nd seat in front of my coworkers. They are all average/skinny so they'd never understand!

Help me 3FC! I am absolutely sick over this!

The trip is April 1st-3rd and while I'm losing, I'll still be at least 230-240 and wearing a size 22 by then!
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/234.6/150

Underwater - I can understand your feelings! However, take a deep breath and relax, I think you will be ok. I recently took a trip to FL (live in NY) about two weeks ago. I also flew Southwest. I am 5'6" and 244 (well, 243 as of today...woohoo! lol), and take an 18W. I didn't have a problem with the seat or the seat belt. In fact, there was plenty of seat belt to use.

It's funny because I had the same concerns you did...I actually pulled the seatbelt all the way out, afraid that it wouldn't be enough, but I was shocked when I had to tighten it up. I have a large belly too so I was particularly concerned.

I know that there isn't a ton that I can say to quell your fears, but I really think you will be ok. And don't forget to have fun!!!
strngsrvrbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I'm 5'0" and even at my heighest weight (245) I always managed a single seat. It was tight, sure, but manageable. I think you'll be okay. I flew several times at my high weight and honestly it was never an issue.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #4  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

At my highest, I was a size 20 and fit in the seat fine (on Southwest). Nobody even looked twice at me. If you're sitting with your own group, they aren't likely to complain either. Enjoy the trip!
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #5  

Hi underwater. The last time I went on Southwest (2 years ago), I weighed 240+lbs and was a size 22-24 (I'm 5 feet tall). I didn't need a seat belt extender and the seat was a bit snug and uncomfortable but I still managed to fit. I was afraid that I wouldn't even be given a chance to prove I could fit into the seat but the agents at the gate didn't even glance my way. You should be totally fine. Enjoy your trip!
Rainy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234.5/224/155(135 dream goal)

Height: 5 6

My dear, all I can tell you is take a deep breath, do what you are doing to continue to lose weight, and maybe try to do your own research to find out what the airline requires and such on the side in order to avoid any such incidents on the day and such, but I REALLY doubt you will need another seat - I flew on a trip and bought only one seat and didn't even think twice on that - while I didn't weight myself I do know that I was 234.5 when I started this.

Also, I have some friends who weigh MORE and have flown and never even thought to buy another seat.

life unfortunately continues - I wish it would stop and wait while I lose weight. I had to be in a wedding when I was pretty dang fat. I kicked myself like maybe 5 hundred times that I couldn't have ALREADY lost the weight by the time it rolled around. But it is what it is.

All we can do is change the future, one pound at a time.
And then we will NEVER deal with this again, because we will be smart enough to make this change for a lifetime, and not for just when we hit our goal weight.

You know... being fat has made me so MAD, when I truly started to think of how much LIFE it is robbing me of.... that I just don't think I ever want to come back here. People battle with lifetime diseases all the time. Mine is called fat. And I just have to accept that this is a battle I will have to fight for the rest of my life - but at the price of being healthy, looking great, and feeling good - you know what, that's a small price.
facingfacts12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I took a SWA flight July 2010 when I was about 250# and I was fine - no seat belt extender. I carry much of my weight in my stomach area. I have also flown when I was near to 300. I couldn't get the seat belt closed so I just layed it over my lap and kept my coat on my lap (like I was cold). No one knew it wasn't buckled. I know that it is not 100% safe but I was willing to risk it to avoid embarassment.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #8  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/130

Height: 5'7

Call them and ask the deminsions of the seat, and if there is a certain weight/size cut off for needing an extra seat.
If you want I can call for you.
TheLindsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If you are flying from SF Bay area to Las Vegas it is a very short trip. I have flown it many times.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #10  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i flew southwest (from norfolk va, to chicago, then to omaha) at 280 wearing a size 22 and didn't need an extra seat or a seatbelt extender. i think the width of the seat is something like 17-18 inches.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Southwest is a horrible airline when it comes to their policies, but I think you should be ok. I know people who have flown at the 300ish range and they seem to be on the borderline (i.e. sometimes they get stopped, sometimes they don't).

Check out seatguru.com for the measurements of the seats
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Thanks so much everyone for your support! The seat width is 17 inches and I am confident that I can fit, I just don't want them to question that and put me in a very uncomfortable situation at the airport in front of my coworkers!

I have anxiety issues and I'm really not looking forward to having to worry about this for 2 months.

I'm trying to use it as another motivator to stay on plan every day and get my 3 days of C25K in every week!
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #13  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

Yeah, southwest. I've heard a lot about them - that's why I don't fly with them.

What I would suggest is to make sure you don't dress sloppily. Some people like to be comfortable on the plane, but try to look nice. I know that sounds weird, but I think clothes make a huge impression. Besides, it will make you feel better.

I wouldn't worry about it so much. Easier said that done I know.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm going to be the odd girl out because I hate what SW has done to other fat people. I'd check the rates on JetBlue. They don't have the same history of fat bigotry, IMHO.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #15  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I too think you'll be okay. Plus, if I may say so, you're freakin' adorable in your pic! Being cute always helps.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote