Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default A major setback and what's next for me (long)

Hi all,

Don't know how many of you guys remember me, ubergirl. I joined here in June 2009 and lost 110 pounds. I also got myself in shape and started running. Everything great! A year ago I was running four miles and I looked really amazing. Then starting around March, I started to really struggle. But I held on to most of the weight loss and kept working out.

Then, in mid-August of this year, my life started getting really over-the-top chaotic. I had more on my plate than I could manage, and so pretty soon the work outs went and the eating started to go, and then I fell back on the major problem that I have had in my life-- serious binging.

I had gotten rid of all of my fat clothes, so I have almost nothing that fits, but worse than that, I started getting back some of the obesity symptoms that I used to have-- skin rashes, sore knees, fatigue.

Yesterday, I hit rock bottom. I felt sick and looked horrible. I used to be used to feeling tired and sick and bloated all the time, but after two years living fit and relatively slim, I simply can't stand how it feels. I forced myself to look at my fitday and realized I had not logged in since July 31st. This morning I got on the scale. It was a shock in a way, but I have to admit that my guess of how much I had gained (fifty pounds) was pretty accurate.

It is very depressing, I'll admit. But as I reflected on it, I realized that in spite of my incredible frustration about the regain, things are not quite as bad as they seem.

Here is what I've learned (the hard way).

I have binge eating disorder. I have a serious case. I've used this strategy for more than thirty years. It was too good to be true to think that I would just get over it, once and for all, on my first serious try.

I have a tendency to take on A LOT more than I should I know that to function appropriately I need down time. I need time for me and time to relax. Instead I live a life that is almost relentless in its demands. I held on for a good six months even when I KNEW that I could not sustain the pace of my life much longer, but eventually I just cracked. I just got exhausted and suddenly unlearned my new coping skills (exercise, eating right) and went back to my old coping skills--( lots of binging. No exercise.)

I should have STOPPED trying to lose when I got down to about 190. That just didn't sound like a maintenance weight to me. But I struggled for a long time, dropping my calories very low, exercising a lot, and was still maintaining between 188 and 190. I looked great. I was in top shape. But it just wasn't as skinny as I wanted to be. But I'm 5'8". I have a substantial lean body mass, and I'm fifty years old. My nutritionist told me that despite my weight my body fat percentage was normal for my age. But I kept trying to lose. Now I think that I should not try to go much below that. My body just didn't want to.

The Good News.

Things are in no way what they were back in 2009 when I started out.

1. I have a bag of tricks that I know will work for me if I work it.
2. Back in 2009 I was completely and totally out of shape. I couldn't run AT ALL. I got winded going up three flights of stairs. And what's more, I never dreamed that I could be physically fit, work with a personal trainer or take up running. Now, I haven't been working out and I'm out of shape, but I'm not COMPLETELY out of shape like I was. I have a gym habit and even in the last few bad months I've gone occasionally.
3. I don't hate myself as much. Something happened to me the first time I lost weight. I felt really really good about myself. And eventually, I started looking at my fat pictures and wondering why I had hated how I looked so much. I looked fat, but then again, so do a lot of other people. I used to truly despise myself. I was embarrassed appearing in public. Now, I realize that my fat is not a permanent condition, not a character defect, not a life ruiner-- it's just fat, and I can change it.

So, that's my story in a nutshell.

I'm back and I'm determined to get back to 195 or so, and also to get back into my happy gym routine.

My plan is pretty simple. Focus on lean protein and veggies, limit starchy carbs, and eat only portion controlled snacks, and tracking on fitday. Worked last time. Will probably look again.

My new resolution is to add in therapy to try to deal with my underlying problem which is taking on more than I can handle and then coping by binging.

Wish me luck. I've just finished day one and I'm on my way to the gym.

(not changing my ticker for now. can't handle it yet.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sequanota 2006 018_2.jpg (44.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 798.jpg (21.6 KB, 60 views)
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Uber! Welcome back!

Look, we all stumble, we all falter. But you're BACK. That's what counts.

You know what to do, and you have a plan to do it, so you're already well on your way.

I'm so glad you've returned.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Uber! Welcome back!

Look, we all stumble, we all falter. But you're BACK. That's what counts.

You know what to do, and you have a plan to do it, so you're already well on your way.

I'm so glad you've returned.
Well! If I'd known you were having a baby, I might have come back sooner!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Glad you're back. You did this once and you'll do it again. Good luck. I look forward to following your progress.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #5  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi ubergirl! Welcome back! I'm sorry things got rough for you. It's wonderful that you've had the insights into why you regained. It also sounds like you have a reasonable, workable plan for losing.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 248/183/150

Height: 5' 6"

Thank you for sharing your story with us. You have another going for you that can be added to your list... you're able to actually learn from your experience! You sound like a strong woman, and your story is an inspiration.
Salley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #7  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

I have the same issue with overloading myself then singeing to cope. If you can simplify your life I would try to eliminate what you can. Sounds like you have a good plan! I I am new here but welcome back.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #8  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Welcome back Uber; you can do this!

Amanda, I didn't know you were expecting! I am so thrilled for you and wish we could give you a 3fc's baby shower!

Hugs to both of you.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #9  

Thank you everybody. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and remind myself that I'm not starting over, just restarting after a (long and painful) lapse.

The good news?

I knew yesterday when I stepped on the scale that it was going to be awful. I was bloated and post binge.

So this morning, after drinking a bazillion glasses of water yesterday, I was down 7.8 pounds. Not that I think I lost 7 pounds in one day, just that I haven't regained quite as much as I thought.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #10  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back !

I feel like you're my west coast twin and everything you wrote fits me perfectly. (It's the only thing that fits me perfectly right now.)

It feels really good, though, to be back to eating healthy and taking care of myself.

Congratulations on that first day "weight loss"!!!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Ubergirl! Ya know... we can't change the past...really only learn from it. My motto has been: Prepare for tomorrow, learn from the past... but, take it one day at a time.

Hop back on your plan that you know works or tweek it if necessary.

We have ALL been in your situation. You will get your mojo back before you know it.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #12  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

If you did it once you can do it again, this time smarter!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #13  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for that terrific post, Ubergirl. I really appreciate your honesty but even more than that, your tremendous strength. You've faced your problem directly, thought about it, learned from it, and have a plan of attack for regaining the upper hand against it. It's a great thing to see - it helps keep in perspective that getting control over one's weight, and changing a lifetime of habits and behaviors, is not a one-way process where you either flip a switch and change forever, or you are a failure. There are switchbacks and setbacks for nearly everyone, and we just have to do our best to regain our footing and soldier on. I'm very grateful to you for sharing your experience with us.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #14  
My goal = health

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
Thanks for that terrific post, Ubergirl. I really appreciate your honesty but even more than that, your tremendous strength.
Ditto and GOOD LUCK!
RRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #15  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Welcome back! The most important thing is that you became aware of your emtional binging and your are back to keep fighting for your health! That takes strength and courage girl You can do this!
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote