Old 03-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

Default Stalled at the starting line...

So, my weight since I started this diet has followed the predictable pattern : I lost a ton the first two weeks, then stalled out - and even gained - the third. I'm back at 270 and can't get it to budge an inch.

What's frustrating is, I've been eating well, and exercising. I eat small meals every three hours, get in at least a walk everyday, drink lots of water, and check the nutritional info of food so I know what's going into me. I'm not counting calories yet, but I do log all my food, and feel confidant that I've been holding it to a sensible amount.

I know this is normal, and that I shouldn't get discouraged, and I am trying. I'm definitely not going to just give up or pig out from frustration. But I'd appreciate any advice or encouragement sent my way. I've been feeling all out of sorts over this, even though I remind myself to be reasonable.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #2  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Sometimes it's not how much we eat but WHAT we eat. So while you might be eating what you feel is a reasonable portion of food, it might be more calorie or fat dense than you realize. So I really do suggest that you give calorie counting a try!

Good luck!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Are you eating *enough*? Sometimes people have that problem (not me, unfortunately) with restricting themselves too much in the beginning and their bodies rebelling.

I know how frustrating it is to find that balance. I've been at this almost three years and I'm just over halfway there. You'll get through this rough patch and find what works for you as long as you keep working at it.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

In my experience the only way to really know how much I'm eating is to track it in some way. "Eating well" just doesn't tell enough, especially to begin with. So, we can't really make any suggestions about why your weight dropped and then went back up.

Try tracking. There are online tools you can use for free to track calories--makes it simple.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

"Watching myself", "eating only healthy foods", & "cutting back" on my portions never, ever worked for me. I needed the absolute brutal honesty and truth of actually monitoring and counting each and every morsel and therefore calorie that went into my mouth. THAT is the only, only way to know for sure EXACTLY the amount of calories that you are eating.

And of course, you must be consistient. Each and every day. One "off day" can easily reverse the affects of any "good" eating done in prior days.

If you are looking for answers to try and figure this out, tracking your calories very carefully would be the very first place to start. You bite it, you write it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am being successful in losing weight this time after failing many times. I think that there are 3 factors that have made the difference. Rockingrobin talked about them but here is my echo!

1- I have to write down every bite that goes into my mouth and count the calories. That also involves weighing and measuring. Some people can keep track in their minds, but not me. I somehow do not have the ability to visualize portion control or total intake of food. I compensate for that by weighing, measuring, and logging.

2 - Consistency - one off plan day can blow a whole week for me and I have done that. I hope those off plan days are pretty much gone. Splurging one day is not worth the cost.

3- Persistence - probably the most important factor. I have been discouraged at times but I have not given up because I know the alternative. If I give up, I gain. It is that simple.

Hang in there. The first couple of months are the hardest! You have done something great to help yourself by posting here. This forum is the greatest for helping me! You can do this.

Last edited by time2lose; 03-23-2009 at 08:28 AM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I just want to add that "you haven't stalled at the starting line", which sounds kind of negative. You're trying to figure things out. You're learning what works for you - and what doesn't. That's what you're doing. View and use this as a learning experience and - learn from it.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-23-2009 at 09:24 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Like everyone else--I would suggest strict calorie counting--count everything--every cream in your coffee, every tablespoon of ketchup. You can do this. If you are creating a calorie deficit, the scale will go down.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-23-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Rockinrobin,

That is a great outlook! You are one of my heros on the forum!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/251.4/165

Height: 5'10

Jo

Your post r so encouraging. Thanks for sharing
A Nu Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #11  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

How awesome is this bumped thread? I started reading it, kept looking at the ticker, and was totally confused until I saw the date. I love that Jo was struggling but kept at it, and now check her out! So inspirational!
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I have to echo Sophronia - except that I didn't get that the OP was bumped until she pointed it out! I was all ready to post and ask what was correct - the ticker or the post! LOL at myself.

Jo - keep up the great work. This post certainly proves the point that persistence is key.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

My mom actually took a similar approach to yours. At the time, I was counting calories, so I decided to help her add up what she ate in one day. It turns out she was eating only around 1000!

Personally, if I eat less than 1300, weight loss just stops altogether. I've seen the same thing from people, with numbers up to 1400 (especially at 250+lbs).

If you're already logging, calorie counting isn't that far of a step. Try it for a few days. You might find that you're eating below your "weight loss limit line," and your body may be in panic mode.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Also, if you've increased your daily activity (especially exercise), then weight gain may be perfectly normal for you. Waiting it out and continuing eating well and exercising will even things out so that you drop more than you would have without the exercise (in the long run).
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote