Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Postpartum Obsession--Trialthon!

Some of you regulars (aka old timers ) who know me are familiar with my previous triathlons. I did my first tri in 2006 when I was 274 pounds and it was really with the support and response from this forum that I did it again in 2007. I can't express how much finishing my first tri changed my life. It seems silly because I am a girl who loves a challenge but finishing a tri was such a mental exercise in overcoming fear, self-consciousness, and my self-imposed limitations that I know it carried me further than the high of that day.

Now, I'm pregnant.

And no matter how wonderful or happy it is, one thing is clear: I hate being pregnant.

Most of it is an anxiety of having no control of my body growth. This is a throwback to losing a good deal of weight. It made me hyper-aware of the shape of my body and what my body can do. This means that if I am unable to do something, there’s an alert in my head that says, “Okay, something’s not working. We have to change this before it gets worse.”

Of course, I can’t "change this" now. Instead, I have to give up being able to control this development. It’s OUR body at the moment and I can’t control hormone production or the relocation of my uterus. I need to just let go.

I know (logically) that this is temporary situation. But I am having trouble getting my brain to the long-term. See, brain, see over that hill? That’s the rest of your life. This is just a drop in the bucket. My brain doesn’t believe me. So I have to make my brain believe me! I have to plan for things in the long term, past the due date so that brain is fooled into digging itself out of the always/forever/andever loop.

So I’ve decided to compete in my third tri in October --three months after my due date. It gives me something to somewhat “train” for and it also gets my brain in a state of mental preparation beyond the due date.

You know what? It's TOTALLY working. For the first time in a long time I am seeing past the pregnant phase of my life. I am positive and looking forward to the end result (the baby, of course).

And here's where I sneak in a pitch -- you can do a triathlon too.

If you've never done one, I am telling you that you can. The "sprint" triathlon is a 500-meter swim, a 20K bike ride (12.4 miles) and a 5K run (run? Ha! Walk for me). And there is nothing, NOTHING, like it. For the rest of your life, you can say you are a triathlete!

Last edited by Goddess Jessica; 04-05-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Wow, you almost make torture sound fun! I am kidding...if I am ever in a position, I would love to try a Triathalon. I walk 5K every day anyway! You've inspired me to at least consider it as a possibility for myself. Something I NEVER would have done before. Who cares if you come in last, as long as you finish!
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

I'd just like to say that I am seriously looking into participating in a triathlon in my area this summer! Thanks for the shove!
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #4  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

That's really cool that you are planning for this to keep yourself motivated. Please don't be mad at me for this. My fear would be that of the unknown complication that often happens with childbirth like C-section or stitches down THERE and so much more can happen. Also dealing with a big disappointment of it not working out during the most sleep deprived state and the emotional rollercoaster during the postpartum phase could put you on the fast track to postpartum depression.

I don't want to come off as poo-pooing your idea but you need to take time to heal,relax,enjoy your time with a precious newborn is goes y in lightening speed I promise you. Getting yourself back to normal doesn't happen immediately either. If you plan to breastfeed that is another thing to factor in. While it's a wonderful experience it's also trying and tiring, and your body changes once again.

I would like to encourage you to give yourself more time before feeling the need to push yourself so hard. I think your OBGYN would agree that is too soon. So I encourage you to think over the things I have said and also talk to your doctor.

I do want to ask you what type of bike do you have for your triathlon. I am really wanting to start doing them too but I about fainted at the price of bikes. I have experience swimming and running but my bike riding on the road is limited so I need to get to training.
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #5  

@Nikki6kidsmom LOL. No worries. I definitely don't take it personally. Obviously, this is my first and I have no idea how my body will react or how my labor will go. But I've talked to my OBGYN and since I am currently maintaining a high activity level, she's not worried. Sprint distance triathlons are short and my first one was completed in less than 2 hours so although I will be breastfeeding, I'm not too worried about it interfering with the race. I know what you mean with "unknown complications." Life happens and sometimes, you just have to shrug your shoulders and go with it and yes, I am keeping it in my head that it might mean not racing.

Regarding bikes!
Soooooo! I rode a hybrid commuter non-racing bike for both my previous triathlons. It is basically a geared beach cruiser. You sit upright, there's a big ol' seat and big fat tires. It is definitely NOT a racing bike. But I didn't care -- it was a sprint tri. I was going to be on it for an hour (if that long).

Before I got pregnant, I was training on a triathlon bike. Gosh, it was sexy. Orange and red with aero bars and the lightest frame ever. It made hills very easy and I felt like there was very little effort to move it forward. I bought it used off of craigslist for around $550. And sold it promptly after my first trimester.

If you're going to do a sprint, I would suggest buying a used bike that fits you properly and that you enjoy riding that is within your budget. Everything else is just a cherry on top and unnecessary. It could really be any bike.

Swimmers have SUCH an advantage in triathlons! Most people start as runners who want to cross train and have a very hard time with the swim portion of the race. You are going to do GREAT!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #6  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

Thanks Jessica for sharing about bikes. I was originally drawn to getting my bike at the bike shop because of not really knowing what I am doing on that sort of bike. They will provide me training for free and make sure my bike is fitted properly. So I guess that's all a perk of paying the higher price. I told the guy I wanted a mid range bike but now I am considering a lower range price and I could always go up in time and resale it. The race I was wanting to do is in August so I hope to be able to get a bike soon while it isn't the same I am doing the bike at the gym to help me build up till that happens. Tonight I ran a 5k ,biked 10 miles then did 1 mile on the elliptical . Man it felt good.

Congrats on your upcoming arrival. Do you know boy or girl? Any names? As you can guess I love babies !

Last edited by Nikki6kidsmom; 04-05-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #7  

It's a girl and we fight about name EVERY day.