Old 11-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #1  
Back on Track to Healthy

S/C/G: since 4/16/10 - 260/Ticker/165

Height: 5' 7"

Default When will they notice

So I have lost almost 60 lbs. I am down 4 pant sizes and I think I look pretty darn good. But I just don't get other people saying anything about it. Do they think I will be offended if they do...like I didn't know I was fat before?!?

Has anyone else had this happen?

Why won't they just tell me how great I look and help keep me motivated?!?! LOL I am not usually so into compliments, but I have worked my booty off and really would like a little appreciation. LOL

Last edited by saram; 11-09-2010 at 12:55 AM.
saram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #2  
it IS all about me!!!

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/165ish

Height: 5'8"

I just hit the -36 mark and my stepson and sister-in-law have both noticed. I was actually a bit surprised - I assumed that my stepson sees me as something like wallpaper that cooks, but I guess he's more observant than I realized. His words were "you look like you've lost a lot of weight." I guess I have, although I still have a long way to go.
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #3  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

I have lost and gained a number of times. When I have, my family has completely missed it. I am not sure if they just don't see it because they see me everyday, so it is o gradual, or if they are afraid to "jinx" it by saying something. Have you gone out and bought a new outfit that actually fits yet? If they start to se the new body, maybe that will triger them. Congratulations, though!!! 60 lbs. is a GREAT achievement!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #4  
You'll be given love...

S/C/G: 328/283/140.00

Height: 5'5

People are freakin' weird. They don't notice your huge weight loss (By the way congratulations!) and yet I come out only a hair past 300 when BIG WHUP I was formerly 318 and friends are going on about how "thin" I'm looking.

I think they are just placating me. :/

Bottom line: if you yourself notice a difference? That's all you need!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #5  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

Some people find it really hard to say anything in fear of offending others when they are losing weight. I have the exact opposite thing happening because I sent my blog to everyone I know and even post it on my facebook =)

I agree with the above poster, have you bought a new outfit that fits nicely etc yet?
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Ugh, I had that happen!

Once a year I get together with a bunch of girlfriends. Have been doing it for YEARS. I was down just over 40 pounds when I went this year. One of my friends recently lost about 10-15 pounds (she's small to begin with) and was talking to someone else about how her boobs have shrunk. Then she looks at me and says, "That happens when you lose weight -- your boobs shrink!"

Really? Because I've lost at least a full cup size, maybe 2, not to mention inches from my band size. But thanks for letting me know in the event that I lose weight. Only one person even noticed (or noticed enough to make a comment) and I was totally dolled out in new, better fitting clothes.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #7  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I've dropped 34 and the only person to notice is my dh.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I assumed that my stepson sees me as something like wallpaper that cooks, but I guess he's more observant than I realized.
I just laughed so hard!

People notice. If you'll look around, you'll see a lot of "what, did I look like dog poo BEFORE I lost the weight" type posts. People are so easily offended now, no one knows what to say. I promise you people notice and just don't know how to say it. No one could miss a sixty pound loss! Congratulations!
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #9  
Back on Track to Healthy

S/C/G: since 4/16/10 - 260/Ticker/165

That is why I love this site...everyone is so funny!!!

I have one woman at work who will say something to me about ever 3 weeks and my mother (but I only see her about once a month).

I guess I just need to be happy that I know that I am wearing a size 14 jean (which I have not worn since high school) and poo on the rest....they are just jealous. LOL
saram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #10  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

lol i have lost and gained BIG numbers before....the last time i didnt hear anything from anyone until i was around 60 lbs down, and you wanna know what the first "compliment" was?

one my husbands friends looked at me and said...."damn tiff, you hitting the treadmill or something" LMAO nice huh!?!
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #11  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I lost almost 60 pounds before anyone said anything. I complained about it here a month or so ago. Once, before anyone said anything, I went to lunch with my group from work. Everyone was ooh-ing and aah-ing over this guy who had lost 55 pounds. I had also lost 55 pounds but no one said a thing. I was like, what am I, chopped liver?

This bugged me like crazy and so I thought a lot about why it might be. One possible reason is that I carry my weight differently - that guy just kind of deflated, he carried most of his weight around his middle and the difference really showed. I have a very curvy figure and my weight is distributed all over. Very few people believe me when I tell them what I weigh - there's something deceptive about how I carry it on my body. That's a good thing, but it also means people don't notice the losses as much.

Another reason people might not notice is, if you're still wearing your old baggy clothes, your new shape just might not be showing that much. I have this problem, most of my clothes are too big and I don't look like much in them.

Another possibility, of course, is that they are noticing, but just don't feel comfortable saying so. Some women are so sensitive about their weight - I have seen posts here where even a compliment can send someone into an emo spiral of "she said I look good 'now' so she mean must I was a hideous fat cow before *sob*". I don't have this issue; I know I'm fat and I know I look better now than I did 60 pounds ago - it's not an insult to tell me that! But still - with regard to someone else - I'd rather say nothing than risk unintentionally setting off some emotional trigger I don't even know is there. That is magnified in the workplace, where people are often (appropriately) cautious about raising personal subjects.

So just because no one has ranted and raved over your amazing weight loss, don't conclude people aren't noticing.

Last edited by carter; 11-09-2010 at 09:55 AM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #12  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

It took 50-60 lbs for people to notice on me. Once the comments start coming they are neverending...be patient, I am sure you look wonderfully gorgeous!!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #13  
Alicia :)

Height: 5'2"

I agree with Annie and carter--it takes time and depending on how you carry your weight initially. A 60 pound loss (CONGRATS!!) may look differently than someone who lost 60 pounds in the gut. It took about 75 pounds before the majority of my circle began really saying something and noticing. And Annie's right, once the comments start, they don't stop for months because even if they see you once a week, you have drastically changed compared to the image they knew before, so instinct is to comment. Sometimes it's nice, other times it's embarassing...but overall its actually just another source of motivation
akelly728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

People notice but often they don't want to say anything for various reasons. One possible reason is maybe weight loss is due to an illness and obviously congratulating someone for having an illness isn't the best thing.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

It is absolutely true that once they start, they don't stop. I have noticed that men wait longer to say stuff, though, so if you are around more men, it might be a longer wait. I was about 70 pounds when the men started commenting (men that I knew, I mean).
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote