Old 07-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #1  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Default Teeth Problems...

This is kind of off topic, but kind of on topic. I am now realizing how this bad food not only made me overweight, but it did a huge number on my teeth. I am only 27 years old and now am facing several teeth being extracted. I'm teriffied to go to the dentist...I haven't been for almost 10 years. But I know a big reason for the state of my teeth is the horrible food I have been eating for about 10 years. In fact, I broke my first tooth on a necco wafer...have never had one since....
Its just hard now to be doing great with diet and exercise, and knowing I'm going to have all this major dental work, and its going to make me slow down, at least with exercise...its just frustrating. Stupid food....
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #2  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I will say that losing weight and exercising made me take more control of other health aspects, getting a check up, having a mammogram, etc. I need to get a dental check up too one of these days. my dad was methodical about taking us to the dentist every 6 months when we were young. I didn't keep that up when I got older (no insurance for it was the major reason).

you're still pretty young. you'll be happy once you get over the dental hurdle, as much of a drag as it might be to deal with.

taking care of teeth can help with your heart too.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #3  
weight watching

I totally sympathize. I stayed away from dentists for the ten years after I'd graduated from college. At first it was lack of money, then it was fear I'd have to have a lot of dental work done.

Then one Friday afternoon, I had terrible toothache. It was an abscess, from a cavity that had gone untreated far too long. You do NOT want an abscess. It's 48 hours of terrible, unrelievable pain. Go to a dentist!

A happier story. After years of regular visits, I stopped going for awhile, again because of financial problems, and was again terrified that I'd need lots of work done. I found a new dentist about a month ago -- I had no cavities, no issues at all. The relief was incredible.

So to both if us: regular dentist visits are crucial!

Go, and good luck.
Bloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #4  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

Thank you so much for the support. I am just getting all worked up over it...just need to relax and realize it will be okay. I'll get through it.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

awww that sux pinkhoodie!! big hugs!!! don't blame it all on your overeating, I think the not seeing a dentist for 10 years is the culprit!!! I'm probably a lot older than you and ate lots 'o junk for most of it, and at 42 I've only ever had one filling! Don't be scared of the dentist, the modern techniques they use and drugs etc, you won't feel a thing! then you'll be all set with a nice smile and healthy chompers for years to come
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/234.4/150

Height: 5'3"

I hate the dentist too. I often joke that I'd rather go to the gynecologist. However, after I had my daughter, I had to get a back tooth pulled. They knocked me out. It wasn't bad...I remember sitting in the chair, then my husband putting me in the car.

I need to go again. We just got dental insurance again...I hate to even think about it.
SunshineTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #7  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

I would totally rather go to my gyno...and that's saying something after 6 years of infertility and being poked and prodded at! I just suffer from anxiety too..and situations like this start me freaking out a bit. Have an appoinment on wednesday next week, so here I go....
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

I understand! My issue was lack of insurance and I just happen to be one of those lucky people who cannot tolerate any kind of pop, which didn't stop me from drinking it forever. Luckily, I finally got smart and started taking care of myself and stopped drinking the pop and high sugar drinks. I still have alot of work to go but I am taking care of it little by little. I just want you to know that you are not alone. You can make it through this.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #9  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

If you suffer from anxiety, see if you can get a Rx for a one time anti-anxiety pill before you go. I used to take them before going to the dentist and it really helped. My doc would give me a one time script for something like Ativan to be taken before I went to the dentist. Of course, then you can't drive yourself tho...

Anyway, I avoided the dentist office like it was the plague for 11 years. Finally went back last year (because I needed to find a dentist for my daughter and figured I should set a good example by going myself) and ended up needing 8 cavities filled and a complete periodontal cleaning. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. The trick is finding a dentist you really like and connect with. I tried 3 before I settled on the one I have now. I don't even need to take the meds anymore when I go. I have an appointment on Monday in fact for a 6 month checkup. So good luck, I hope it goes well for you!
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #10  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

I do notice that since I've been eating healthier that the plaque build up on my teeth is a lot less. I just had a cleaning and it only took her 20 minutes where it in the past took 45. I've been overweight and obese for years. The times I've had teeth trouble is when I've not had dental insurance so I didn't have regular gleanings and checkups. I've never tried it but I've heard of places that offer "conscious" sedation dental services. Apparently the can catch you up on all your dental work in a quicker time that way while you are relaxed. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't need much work.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote