Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Red face Managing PCOS, but that's about it

I got my blood work back today and my blood glucose was 86. I was diagnosed with PCOS with 104.

Would you believe at the age of 35 I've never, no never, had my cholesterol checked? It's 242. It should be under 200. Now I really wish I knew what it was at my heaviest! I'm torn between telling my doctor and going on meds or just keep doing what I'm doing and retest.

Anyone else have the number blues?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #2  

congrats on the blood sugar!!

Bad girl never having your cholesterol checked, but I'm glad you did it. Now you can improve it. I don't think 242 is med worthy, is it? I think it will go down, just keep doing what you are doing.

How does oatmeal factor in carb wise? It's said to help bring cholesterol down. I think heh
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Yeah, I just did some reading and great foods to be eating are:
avacados, beans (pinto, kidney, black, butter, navy), garlic and a lot of it, tree nuts, spinach (which doesn't like me), fatty fish.

I already eat nuts and am learning to like beans. I could experiment with beans. My kids prefer to them, which I think is weird. I eat and love garlic, but gosh the recommendation is 3-4 cloves a day!! I use 2 cloves in a dish that serves that four! And I love spinach but lately my stomach doesn't like it. I've been adding it to soup, but I wonder if that kills all its good.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Oh, and really good is that my metabolism is spot on!!! I had great metabolic reading according to my blood work. (My thyroid is good) So that's good news! And I guess I have no excuses.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

No, but I don't see my doc til mid may. I'll get my next batch of numbers then.

Glad you went and got yours done though! Now you are armed with info and you can improve that cholesterol.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #6  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

I just had my bloodwork done, too. My triglycerides are still high, and my HDL is still low. But my blood glucose went down. I don't remember the number, but I know she said it was only 1 over the normal range. I'm pretty sure that's the best I've had in years. Of course, I'm on metformin, so that should be helping.

I'll have my bloodwork done again in six weeks and hopefully those numbers will all be better.

It's nice to know other people who have PCOS. Do you go to Soul Cysters?
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #7  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I found out my cholesterol numbers the other day too and it was similar to yours - 234 I believe. Of course I found out too that I have an underactive thyroid and am now on meds. Apparently that can cause your cholesterol numbers to be higher than what they actually are so I am on meds now. I was hoping that this would help me lose my last 3 lbs - but now am up to 4 as I gained 1 lb this week *sigh*
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #8  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumie View Post
It's nice to know other people who have PCOS. Do you go to Soul Cysters?
I used to! I was "Cozumel" there. I loved that board, but I can only be addicted to one board at a time.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Wow Becky, at so small a weight now your cholesterol is still bad? That sounds more like you are genetically predisposed to it, I think. I'm hoping I can control mine with diet and exercise. Again, I wish I'd had this done PRIOR to starting, but I was afraid.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #10  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I know that's the scary thing Eliana!! I am hoping that getting on these meds will bring it down. I have a long history of heart attacks and heart diease in my family. My mom had a quad bypass about 3 years ago and has lots of troubles. My dad, brother and grandfather all died of a massive heart attack - my dad was 39 and my brother 45. So I need to get this figured out now!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #11  
Calorie counter

My husband is genetically predisposed to high cholesterol, high BP, and diabetes. Sucks, doesn't it? My grandpa had a quadruple bi-pass fairly young and he has always been super healthy. He has OCD and that was always one of his OCD things, regimented health. The doctors tell him he's extended his life with his life style.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #12  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Eliana, since you just recently switched to a lower-carb diet and (I believe?) are now eliminating white refined grains and sugar, I would recommend waiting and re-testing your cholesterol in a couple of months to see what the effect of doing that was. White sugar / grains are well-known to raise total cholesterol, raise triglycerides, and lower HDL.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #13  
Calorie counter

Warmaiden, my only concern as that I truly already was doing a lower carb diet. I already had cut out white "stuff". Not I'm restricting even the good stuff like fruit. So I'm not sure it will help or not, but I'm sure hoping.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #14  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Well, how are your HDL and your triglycerides? Total cholesterol by itself doesn't tell the full story. And what kind of exercise are you regularly doing, and for how long?
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I eat lots of fruit and I have really low cholesterol although I also don't eat foods with cholesterol in them either. My husband eats lots of grains (although he doesn't have PCOS) and has low cholesterol, I eat grains but not as much as him.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote