Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #1  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Default ugh, casted and possible surgery

so, my brother watched the kids alot for me this spring break so i could work, he left the kitchen trash can lid on the floor, i tripped and went down. fractured tibia in right leg, fractured growth plate in left elbow. i'm highly irritated and in a lot of pain, but the pills they gave me have me loopy as can be, bleh
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/241/145

Height: 5'4''

I'm really sorry to hear that. Here's for a speedy recovery!
graceandbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #3  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

Oh no.....I am so sorry to hear that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be sure you follow doctors orders and don't try and do too much too soon. GET WELL SOON!!!
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Yikes! What a crazy accident - hope you heal fast!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #5  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry that happened!!! Don't let it discourage you! Just do what your doctor tells you, and you may even tell him your on a weight loss journey and he may even have some tips that will help you while you'll be down and out. Take care of yourself! Here's to a speedy recovery!!!!!!!!!!
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #6  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

So sorry to hear about your accident! Yikes! Here is to a speedy recovery... I am tipping my water glass to you
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yikes! Feel better soon!

And when the cast starts itching and feeling damp inside, use a blowdryer on the cool setting. It was a lifesaver for me!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #8  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 327.6/321.8/150

Oh no!! I feel your pain...almost literally. I was just pronounced fully recovered from breaking the distal end of my tibia (whatever, I call that an "ankle"). I hope you recover quickly. Those really suck!

Just a thought that worked for me: while you're laying around wishing you could get up and walk, try leg lifts, cast/boot and all. It helped me with the muscle spasms and cramps I had from all that inactivity, and gave me a little workout so I felt like I was doing something! DISCLAIMER: I would suggest ok'ing this with your doc first. Depending on where in the tibia the break occurred, this may not be a good idea.
lavieboheme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #9  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I did ask, thank you. Proximal end of tibia, so right under the knee. I'm to do absolutely nothing, until surgery is decided on, since its also the leg I've had 2 knee surgeries on and now have a bone chip floating around in there and I can 'hear' it click/clacking together and he can palpitate it. ;/ It's pretty gross.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #10  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 327.6/321.8/150

Ewwwww...that's no good. Yeah, I wouldn't move that around too much either.
lavieboheme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

Oh dear Hope you are better soon

I broke my ankle at the end of August 08 after losing about 42lb (broke tib, fib and one other bone). I did need surgery (2 long screws and a plate with 7 screws). Yes I wouldnt' move it too much - I remember I could feel the bones moving around in my ankle when waiting for surgery. You need ot be careful with it until they sort you out. My weight fluctated a lot by 7lb after the accident for months - mixture of water weight and building muscles again I guess. I didn't lose weight when I broke my ankle but aimed to eat at about maintaince levels. You do need to eat fairly well as it helps with the healing - lots of calcium rich foods and make sure you're getting all your vitamins, etc. I restarted proper exercise (as opposed to just physio exercises) (slowly) and lowered calories once an x-ray had showed the bone had healed. It still hurts now - a lot of activity on it, cold weather, hot weather etc. all irratate it and it does swell and retain water so I guess if you have surgery on your knee it may be similar. I was 273lb when I restarted losing weight just over a year ago so it certainly hasn't put an end to my weight loss journey and if you're determined it won't to yours either.

Hope your operation is organised and over with soon then you can get being in cast over with and move on. I could hear lots of noise from my ankle too Not pleasent to do so much damage to a bone. There's a forum for broken legs called mybrokenleg where you will be ablee to get specific advice for your injury from people who have gone through similar.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote