Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #1  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Fat cells are fighting back

Earlier this week I wrote up an imaginary conversation I imagined my metabolsim was having with my fat cells, and that now that I'm working on emptying the fat that's been stored for 20 years that those cells are being stubborn.

Well, I think they've deciced to let some fat go, but sent a surge of the "hunger hormone" at the same time to convince me to keep them full. I have had 48 hours of intense hunger. I've had to use every trick in my repetoire to not eat everything in the house but I think I've finally quelled it.

While the biologist in me finds this whole process fascinating, the dieter is getting a little ticked off. After more than a year of following my plan, did not expect this white-knuckle-shear-willpower event now.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

fwiw, I've seen a lot of posts from people saying that they see a whoosh after being particularly hungry - I'm guessing your body adjusted to where you were and getting ready to make a big move! I know you weigh once a month, when in the month is it?
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
Earlier this week I wrote up an imaginary conversation I imagined my metabolsim was having with my fat cells, and that now that I'm working on emptying the fat that's been stored for 20 years that those cells are being stubborn.

Well, I think they've deciced to let some fat go, but sent a surge of the "hunger hormone" at the same time to convince me to keep them full. I have had 48 hours of intense hunger. I've had to use every trick in my repetoire to not eat everything in the house but I think I've finally quelled it.

While the biologist in me finds this whole process fascinating, the dieter is getting a little ticked off. After more than a year of following my plan, did not expect this white-knuckle-shear-willpower event now.
Intense hunger? Light headed, woozy, headache-y. I'd eat. The emptying of those fat cells would just have to wait. I know some people say it's okay to be hungry, but *for me*, it's just not an option.

It's one thing to resist a craving, but true hunger, at least in my book - is another story completely.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

carye-- this happened to me about a month ago, and my weight did not budge down AT ALL. I think it was a moment when I was putting on a lot of muscle.

I ended up nudging up my calories very slightly and adding a few extra carbs...

I emphatically do not believe in "starvation mode" for us fatties, but I do think that my body seems to be a more efficient motor now and so I actually get to eat a little more and still lose....
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

PeanutsMom- no particular weigh in day, just one day a month when I'm at the branch of the Y that I swim at so that I'm always using the same scale. The May weigh in will likely be toward the end of the month as I'll be traveling the first part.

R-Robin - no, not light headed or headachy or anything bad, just continual "I'd really like to stuff myself to point of discomfort" feeling which I thought was long gone.

Uber - yep, I ate at the top of my calorie range for a few days and really frequently (like every 90 minutes instead of usual 3 hours).

The good news is whatever the trigger, everything seemed to have returned to normal about noon today.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #6  

My grandmother always said that if your hungry eat beans. Now it makes sense...loaded with protien and a natural food, lots of fiber also.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post

R-Robin - no, not light headed or headachy or anything bad, just continual "I'd really like to stuff myself to point of discomfort" feeling which I thought was long gone.
Okay. This is a whole different thing than INTENSE HUNGER. Intense hunger - I eat. Feel like stuffing myself to the point of discomfort - I get myself BUSY. I do something to get my mind off of it till it passes and it ALWAYS does. I drink water, tea or SF hot chocolate. I clean, straighten up, take a walk, hop on the computer - whatever. I have never, ever not once regretted NOT eating something. When those urges pass, and they ALWAYS do (I may have mentioned that ), I am so thrilled with myself that I didn't give into them. Self discipline is a good thing, it turns out. It feels real good to to make mature, reasonable rational decisions and do *right* by my body.

Glad this feeling seems to have passed.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote