3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Do You Think It's Possible to Lose 100 LBS by DEC. 31, 2010? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/195324-do-you-think-its-possible-lose-100-lbs-dec-31-2010-a.html)

rockinrobin 02-26-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idealmuse (Post 3174399)
For a great deal of us it's what you really put into it. People Like CF and Robin were consistently on plan, but it's not the only way to success or lofty goals. I think these women rock... but plans this strict would back-fire on me big time.

Differences yet again coming through. I didn't see my plan as restrictive. Not. Even. A. Little. Bit. What I saw as restrictive was my OLD way of life. I was so held back. So not participating in life. I was so RESTRICTED in what I could or could not do. I was choking. Dying in fact.

No, my plan was freeing and liberating and delightful and lovely. I LOVED (still do) everything about it. For the first time I truly found comfort in food. Never mind the wonderful over the top benefits to be had from my plan, but just staying on plan in and of itself brought my much happiness and joy.

weebleswobble 02-26-2010 04:20 PM

I've been diet-compliant since mid-August, so that means I've lost 69 pounds in 7 months. But I had an unforseen glitch -- I've only lost 8 pounds since December 7 due to an injury (a serious burn) and the Dr. prescribed going-off-diet (he said "you need carbs, grrr!"), going off my rate of loss, I probably could lose another 25-30 pounds in 3 months...if I was really motivated and stepped up my exercise near the end. This is a life change, not a 10-month goal.

WarMaiden 02-26-2010 04:27 PM

I no longer set true time-based goals, because I do not find them useful for my progress or my daily mindset. Focusing too far into the future leads me into wishful-thinking fantasy-land and away from what I need to do today, which is not fantastical at all, but rather quite simple. In fact, a time-based goal led me last year to do something drastic with my diet, which I shortly realized was completely unsustainable for me. Then I stopped "dieting" for about 6 months and just maintained, which did wonders for my mental health.

Sometimes I entertain thoughts like, "Wow if I could just lose 1.5 pounds per week, then I could be at X weight by Y date!" Then I kind of chuckle at myself and just look back again to what I'm doing today, which will (with ongoing adjustments as needed) eventually get me to where I want to be.

I lost 85 pounds in my first year of "dieting" and that was darn good enough, despite the fact that I began with the fantasy of losing 100. I was not disappointed in myself or my body. And I am still not.

Michelle98272 02-26-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 3174184)
Michelle,

But HOW does that fall INTO the all or nothing category???????????

All or nothing is...."I must lose 100 lbs in 10 months. period." All=100lbs
99lbs or less=nothing. All or nothing to me means anything less than 100% success is failure.

Idealmuse 02-26-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VickieLou (Post 3174441)
Thank You All for your response to my Question. From reading your responses
it's alot of work to lose this much weight. I will need to Plan, and Focus on my goal. I won't feel like a failure if I don't reach my Goal. I will be a little disappointed if I don't at least lose 50 LBS. But right know I'm going to strive to reach 100 by the end of the year. Maybe, in 6 month's I will revise the goal, when I see how much my average is per month. I know when I get closer to goal I could hit a plateau. I'm doing calorie counting. I don't have any special event I'm losing weight for, I just am sick of being Unhealthy.
I got back on plan today. I found out recently my Dad has Cancer. I have health problems of my own. I need to face reality and do something about my health now. Maybe, it's aimming a bit high but I'm hoping it will help motivate me. Thank You for Your Support and Advice. 3FC members are such an Inspiration to me.

Sounds like you have reasonable expectations... You can do this just make yourself important enough to do what needs to be done. The rest should follow. Dust off and keep going is always the most important bit. We look forward to reading about your success!

Arctic Mama 02-26-2010 04:59 PM

If you're not going to be disappointed by not making your goal, should something happen, and a larger goal is more motivating for you, then I wish you the very best, Vickie!

I do better with slower, incremental loss that doesn't disallow certain foods or a more moderate approach, but everyone's mileage varies depending on their lifestyle and personality. We can only ever give advice from our own perspective, which may differ from yours :)

carter 02-26-2010 05:04 PM

I am learning about myself that setting time-based goals (not just for weight loss, but for anything) is a recipe for procrastination.

If I tell myself I want to accomplish X in 10 months, then I am more inclined to think, well 10 months minus one day is still a lot of time, so I can worry about this tomorrow.

Lather, rinse, repeat, until suddenly I realize there's not enough time left to meet that goal and I either panic (if it's something I absolutely have to do for work) or bail (if it's something I can get away without doing, like losing weight).

I am starting to realize that the way my brain works, I have to live in the moment a lot more. I have to focus on what I am doing today, right now. For weight loss, that means make the best choice I can make each time I presented with a choice, and just trust that if I make the right choice every time (or, almost every time), then the weight will come off in time.

If I say "I'll do X by July," then I stop thinking about X today. I have to think about today today.

That's me. Your mileage may vary.

rockinrobin 02-26-2010 05:06 PM

VickieLou, you do whatever you think may be the *answer* for you. But please be open to re-thinking, changing up and tweaking as you go along if need be. If you should find so and so is no longer working for you, don't give up - CHANGE it up. Whether it be your thinking, your plan, your goals - your whatever.

The surest way not to fail, is to be determined to succeed!!! :hug:

H8cake 02-27-2010 02:32 PM

"I found out recently my Dad has Cancer. I have health problems of my own. I need to face reality and do something about my health now."

I was never able to get the weight off when my motivation was only to look better. When my mom died of complications from diabetes and I had all the symptoms of it, I finally reached the point where I was willing to do the work to lose. I love looking better, I love all the cute small clothes I have, but that wasn't enough to get me moving. When you realize your health and quality of life is in danger it takes on a whole different level of importance. I didn't lose 100 pounds in a year. I lost eighty-one pounds in one year, but I just kept going and hit 100 pounds lost in 15 months. I was determined, and stuck to my plan like glue. I felt awesome about the whole process. I was thrilled by my progress, I was completely changing my body and health. I didn't have a time goal when I started so I didn't even think about it not happening soon enough. I did get a little impatient when I hit 170 and things started slowing down. The last 20 pounds come off much slower, for me at least. But really, all the major health benefits had already come by that point. Then, I have to admit, I was totally loving the vanity side of the whole thing :D
Don't forget to stop and celebrate all the wonderful changes, those NSV's we talk so much about, along the way. It's important to see all the blessings that come with losing the weight and getting healthier. They come with each pound that you lose. Every time you exercise you are benefiting your body as well. Stop and smell the roses along the way. Getting to your goal is fabulous, but much of the benefits come before you reach that point. Once you hit goal you will be doing all the same things in order to stay there, so very little changes at that point. It's definitely a life change, not a temporary thing. You can do it, I'm anxious to hear of your progress.
I wish you much success!

momof5k 02-27-2010 09:18 PM

It is possible but I would encourage you not to get TOO hung up on such a specific goal.

I lost 100 pounds in 10 months (barely...) but I started higher and the scale has been moving V E R Y S L O W L Y the last two months. I have learned that the closer to you get to your goal, the harder it is.

Rather than fixating on the 100 by year end, celebrate whatever you have lost...whether that is 100 or 70 or 50....you'll feel so much better no matter what!

catowned 02-28-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLCSC145 (Post 3174119)
It will be a year for me on April 18th of this year, so I'm at 131 in 10 months. But I also was WAY fatter than you when I started. The less I weigh, the harder losing it gets. And the slooooower it gets.

I really like the idea of saying to yourself, "I'm going to stay on plan for the next 10 months, minimal slip ups, and see how much I can lose." 10 months of great habits, on plan calories, and exercise? That will be so good for you and your health no matter what the scale says in the end. And honestly, would you be bummed to lose, say, 60 pounds by the end of the year?

Don't set yourself up for failure by setting a "X pounds by X date" goal. Set a goal to be a pitbull about your plan and then enjoy your results, whatever they may be!

That is the point I reached a few months ago. I got rid of my scale. I've had some health problems to postpone my plans but this summer I reached a point where I decided I would do some kind of exercise every single day except when AF is here.