Old 08-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #1  
active kids, active mom

Default NSV: Changes!

Today my family and I rode our bikes about 25 miles. Though we hadn't planned on it, we all started bonking (biker term for losing energy) 1/2 way through and needed food. The nearest/cheapest food was a food court at an amusement park on a boardwalk. I got a vegetarian burrito, basically just tortilla, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, guac. Here are a few NEW things I noticed about this excursion:

1. I really wanted to stand during the meal as I had been sitting on the bike. We found a table that had had all its chairs taken so it worked out well. But me wanting to stand after a ton of exercise? Who am I?

2. I was really disheartened looking around at the people in the food court. I would say 80% were obese or larger. It was clear that food courts cater to the obese crowd. It made me profoundly sad and also uninterested in ever visiting a food court again. It's just not scene.

3. Even after biking 12.5 miles and being famished, I only had interest in eating 1/2 of the burrito. When I gave the other half to my kids (who themselves were splitting a burrito), I felt no remorse, really almost relief to get rid of it.

4. For dinner, my dh had accidentally (as in, he blindly put it in the cart) purchased a cheesy bread instead of the whole bread baguette I had requested. I served up one portion for myself (it was within my calories), but when I sat down, I really didn't want it. It had a lot of sodium and was kind of oily looking. It didn't seem nourishing at all and I craved nourishing. Instead, I got up and toasted 2 pieces of Ezekiel sprouted bread to go with my soup. Then, though I'd biked 25 miles today, I only really wanted half my soup. There was a time not too long ago when a long work-out would have meant unbridled access to anything I wanted to eat. Today, I just wasn't all that interested in the food part of our activity.

I guess I am pointing these out because it's all so new and interesting to me. Even during phases of great weight loss in the past, I never got to a point of disinterest in food. I might have given up half the burrito, but I probably would have perseverated on my loss after that. There was none of this today. I didn't even feel deprived when declining the cheesy bread. In fact, I felt so much happier to have the Ezekiel. It was so satisfying.

I have been discovering little changes like this throughout this journey. Like, I no longer constantly think about food. I really look forward to exercising. I really enjoy exercising hard -- it's not a chore to church out anymore. All this makes me believe that this time is IT!

Thanks for listening.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

So inspiring! I want to be at that point so much!
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

Way to go! That is awesome!
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #4  
If I can; YOU Can!

S/C/G: 292/Ticker/175 height: 5'9

Height: 5'9

And here i thought my 3 mile jog/run in the morning then 3 mile walk at night was good work. I now know I suck!! Haha, you rock ^_^
Scilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Fantastic!!!!!!!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:20 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I'm so glad you translated bonking, it means something quite different in British ;D

Fantastic exercise, you make me ashamed of my 30 minute walk!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Awesome!!!

Last edited by StarvingPoet; 08-21-2010 at 11:20 AM.
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #8  
active kids, active mom

You all are so nice. But there's no need to compare work-outs. Working out just happens to be my favorite way to cut calories. I count calories as well, but I eat a little higher and work-out more so that I can eat a little higher.

And if you WANT to be a person who does big work-outs, you can. If I can do it, so can you. Just months ago, I felt like I barely had enough energy to climb the stairs and function. It's amazing what can happen in a few months.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #9  
it IS all about me!!!

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/165ish

Height: 5'8"

Wow, I hope I'm able to share a similar experience myself one day!

I do have one question though: what does NSV stand for?
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote