Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #1  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Default Motivation suggestions

I know this topic has been extensively covered, but I apologize, I want to toss it out there again.

What do you say to yourself to get motivated after a lull or when you don't feel like exercising? What about when you're weight loss isn't as much of a priority as it was to you?

I know you just need to be committed and sometimes force yourself, but I guess I was wondering whether you have any pep talk or other tricks to start the fire in your belly again?
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

My fire starter is to look back at the pictures of me at 330 pounds. That's enough to keep me going at it each day.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #3  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Fat pix help, thinner pix help a bit too. But after dieting for 20 years I've given up on 'motivation' Does that sound bad???? I guess I just got tired of waiting for it to appear and fix everything LOL so I just went ahead without it and treated it all like something that just needed DOING, like laundry and housework. I don't always have motivation to do that either but I do it every day because I HAVE to. I don't love scrubbing toilets every day but I do it because I like the end result I also keep reminding myself that if I'd made a commitment to a friend or co-worker, nothing on earth would keep me from fulfilling it so I deserve the same work ethic!

I also do something a bit weird for a 40 year old woman -- I keep my food journal and I make my OWN little stickers on label paper, and as silly as it sounds, I love getting my stickers for the day or week LOL when I flip back through it, it's fun to see the bad weeks stick out like sore thumbs ... some of my stickers are a bit x-rated hahahah like "today sucked a$$" or "kicked the $hit outta working out" hahahah what can I say, I'm a potty mouth
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
But after dieting for 20 years I've given up on 'motivation' Does that sound bad???? I guess I just got tired of waiting for it to appear and fix everything LOL so I just went ahead without it and treated it all like something that just needed DOING, like laundry and housework.
I totally get this Trazey -- that's actually how I started and when I saw success, I got more motivated as I went. Doesn't sound bad at all.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #5  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I try not to think of motivation anymore. Many times I've waited weeks for it to hit me but nope...never came when I needed it most. Every time I said "I'll do it tomorrow" that tomorrow never came! Hence, I decided not to look for it.

Honestly, I don't like to workout but I'm doing it. I'm working on making "just do it" attitude a part of me. It's been a tough road (and still is at times) and it all boils down to commitment to yourself and a healthy lifestyle. You work at what works for you!

I also have a calendar where I mark a big "X" for every day I workout. I'm a visual person so it helps me to see that and makes me feel better . And each day you don't stay OP that's 1 day extra it will take you to reach your goal. Having said all that doesn't mean I don't struggle often, I do, but I just do it!

Last edited by pintobean; 08-13-2009 at 10:49 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #6  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

My motivation is saying: you can give up now, you can get lazy, but you'll pile those pounds RIGHT BACK ON faster than a snowstorm in January. SO JUST FREAKING DO IT. By forcing myself to get back/stay on plan it just becomes second hat. And the other choice is not so palatable.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #7  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm going to quote RockinRobin on this one. It isn't about motivation, it is about commitment. And, I see from previous posts, that many feel the same way. If I waited for motivation, I'd still be in bed when I should be working out!

Stay committed! Make workouts, eating on plan, and drinking plenty of water just a part of your day. It's just what you do!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #8  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Bon Jovi-You give love a bad name..I don't know why, but it does..lmao
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Ditto on the commitment but motivation does help!

I look for the positive; see the post I just made about my hands and wrist. I do a lot of self talk. "You can do this." or "Think of what life will be like when you have lost more weight."

I touch a fat place on my body that really bothers me, usually my upper arms, and ask myself if I want to get rid of this, just keep it, or let it get bigger.

I look at pictures of my kids or grandkids and imagine myself doing things with them or picturing myself at their weddings. That gets me excited.

Another favorite motivator is looking at travel sites and planning a trip to someplace that I really want to visit, such as England. I will need to be able to fly and walk well to make those trips.

I come here and read some of the posts of people who have succeeded, like Robin and Lori. They make a good case for losing this weight!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #10  

My motivation to re-commit came by remembering how good I felt before I put 50 of the 100lbs I had lost back on.
After spending 16 months eating well, I went back to eating the way that got me to 298lbs, I couldn't believe how miserable I felt.
YWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #11  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm very stubborn plus the fact that I'm committed to this kinda helps when I'm not too motivated

If I'm feeling incredibly sluggish I'll crank up my stereo and sing to the top of my lungs and dance (good thing I live on 10 acres with the closest neighbor being my dad )...it gets me going!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #12  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickiegirl View Post
I totally get this Trazey -- that's actually how I started and when I saw success, I got more motivated as I went. Doesn't sound bad at all.
It's how I look at it too. I call my workout schedule my part time job. If your doing a little bit of something almost every day you don't get to argue with yourself about it you just have to get it done.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #13  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I forgot to mention - I recently bought this t-shirt and it was a big help . I love this shirt. I wore it and it hugs me on every fat roll I have on my body. Of course, the message there helps too

Last edited by pintobean; 08-13-2009 at 04:18 PM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 AM   #14  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

I have a "bare minimum requirement", which is what I fall back to when I've hit a bump, and how I started in January It is:

-Half an hour of exercise a day (low intensity is fine)
-Eat nutritious food, not too much, limit treats to 1 per day
-Get enough sleep
-Drink water
-Treat myself kindly

After about a week, I generally feel more motivated, and able to kick it up to weight loss mode. Every time I try to do everything at once, I fall in a heap. Baby steps work much better for me.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh yeah. Commitment. Be'd no where without it. That's what keeps me going.

At this point, almost three years in, it's all automatic to me. This is just what I do. It's natural to me. I do it without giving it any thought. Just like getting up and brushing my teeth, making the beds, etc...

But since I'm no where near perfect (luckily that's not necessary), there are times I'll feel like eating something that I shouldn't or need a little shove back on track - I definitely do a lot of self talk. I rely on a few mantras/sayings - "I don't need this, I don't need this, I don't need this" "What is it you want the most". "If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution" are a few.

Some things that keep that commitment strong

-the EXTREME desire to keep this weight off. I am loving life like never before. I'm full of energy, satisfaction, purpose and joy and I NEVER want to lose that..
-my health. I LOVE going to the doctor and getting back my blood work, having my BP taken, the whole bit. Not to have all the worries that I had when I was morbidly obese related to my health, well that is worth everything. EVERYthing.
-I've got an extensive wardrobe. When you're 5 foot nothing, there's not much room for error. I ADORE my clothing and have got quite a collection going. I did lots of catching up in a short amount of time! I never want to not fit in those clothes. Every day is a joy - just to get dressed. In the past it was a nightmare and something I dreaded. What a way to start the day - dreading to get dressed. Well not anymore - now I can't wait to go pick out my outfit!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote