Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #16  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Sirenity! I second Robins suggestion to give Leslie Sansones videos a try. I found a few at Walmart for five dollars a piece and really like them. It might break up your day a bit to do a mile in the morning and then another mile in the afternoon. They're fun, easy and the time passes very quickly.

Hang around, post often and let us know how you're doing!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #17  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Rockinrobin~ Cool, I'll check out the videos when I get a chance. And as for food, it's fortunate that I already like a lot of healthy foods. I think my main challenge now will be to balance between what I should eat and what my boyfriend wants. He's an extremely picky eater and probably won't touch half the foods I'll need to prepare for myself, so I'm going to have to talk to him about our food prep and eating arrangements. I was on the best diet ever when I was living alone, lol.

Pita09~ Thanks. And that's right, we have to embrace who we honestly are if we're to change ourselves for the better, and I know I have a lot of soul-searching to do. And I know I can make those changes. We all can! I'll keep checking back with everyone and update myself with the latest news, inspiration, and encouragement.

CLCSC145~ Thank you.

Scarletmeshell~ We all start out as newbies, right? Thanks for the welcome.

DCHound~ I was about to post a before and after photo so you could see for yourself, but I realized I need 25 posts before I can do that. D'oh! Oh well, that just means I need to get cracking with replies! Anyway, most of my weight seems to be centered on my tummy, although I feel I'm pretty evenly proportioned for my size (I wear a size 10 shoe, btw). And now that I think about it, my tummy seems to be the biggest problem when trying on clothes, which makes it hard to find anything comfortable or even remotely flattering. That's awesome you're down to a 16 for jeans, I'd just love to get down there myself soon.

Alana in Canada~ Yeah, I'm thinking I need to venture forth on my own more often. A problem I'm having right now is that I sort of have a phobia of my boyfriend's car because it's a stick-shift. I have learned to drive it (and wow, was that ever a struggle!), but being in a big, busy, and still unfamiliar city I get all nervous being by myself. Silly I know, but it's been one of many frustrating things I've had to adapt to since I've moved and I've felt far from independent. Everything's been so overwhelming, but I'm sure once I feel better about myself I'll be able to tackle the obstacles that contribute to my self-consciousness.

SowboundChick~ Thank you for the welcome!

Nelie~ Wow, thank you so much for relating, it means a lot.

FutureFitChick~ Woo-hoo, congrats on having your signature, I can't wait for mine! I was actually extremely skinny when I was in the first part of grade school, then puberty, allergies, and asthma hit me all at once. Between going on different meds and being excused from gym class and even the school stairs when I hit junior high . . . well, you can imagine what happened to my weight and self-esteem. I buried myself into eating away my frustrations which of course, only mane things worse. Luckily I think my eating plan in 2004 helped me curb that, but I need to push myself back into even healthier habits.

I totally agree with what you say, that it must be helpful to take the time to let all this new and positive way of thinking sink in, to sort of switch modes. I must say I've never done well with "programs," aside from what the nutritionist gave me a few years back, which I eventually formed my own rules around and have done well with. I just need to keep myself from getting lazy and slipping away from it again.

I know I've spent a lot of time "mentally whining" myself! That I couldn't get myself to care about much of anything, let alone taking care of my health. The last relationship I was in was mentally abusive, and my current relationship was very draining in the beginning since it started out long-distance (I'm still in that relationship now, thankfully I'm finally with "the one" and that it's no longer long distance). Moving to be with him and adapting my whole life has been hard though, and even now I find myself getting homesick.

And yes, we are in this together. Thank you for your wonderful post. I do feel those early mental changes are among the most important.

Tai~ Thanks for the tips! I'll do my best to drop by every day to stay encouraged and up to date.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #18  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Just wanted to say welcome It's late, had a a long day, and my brain is totally exhausted or I'd say more....looks like the ladies before me pretty much covered it lol
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:04 AM   #19  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Welcome welcome to our little home on the web! I too started at over 360 lbs (377 to be exact) and am down to 248 in just over 9 months. I'm a calorie counter and I firmly believe in having a plan. I plan my day the night before and stick with it. Knowing what you are going to put in your mouth at every single meal and snack is SO HELPFUL because it takes the impulse and guess work out of it!

I wish you the best of luck. You've got some excellent advice to read through hear and I look forward to sharing this journey with you
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:19 AM   #20  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Congratulations on deciding to refocus on your health 3fatchicks is a great resource and place for support.

Some suggestions (YPMV - your psychology my vary!)

- Do not demand immediate perfection. Start with a few good habits. Start with things that you know work.
- Be kind to yourself and reward yourself for the changes you make. Even a star on a chart can be inspiring.
- Put emphasis on lifelong habits.
- Realise that you probably have an emotional and physiological attachment to some foods. Do not be surprise if you react irrationally to limiting them, i.e. binge or overeat. Learn what you can from it and move on. Going cold turkey off certain foods, or at least banishing them from the house may be necessary.
- Exercise is great preventative medicine and everyone should do some everyday. It gets easier! Much easier. Start with what you like (or at least don't hate), and then later add variety and intensity. Summer is a great time for evening walks, btw.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:52 AM   #21  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

RomanceDiva~ We all know the feeling. Thanks for stopping by!

Cfmama~ Wow, so awesome to hear of your progress, especially with knowing that we started from a similar place. You give me much hope to stick with my plan this time around.

Couch~ Thank you for all the amazing advice, it is very appreciated. I really am hoping to make some life-long changes with a little help here.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote