Old 07-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #1  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Question Is this an NSV?

It’s something, anyway.

Yesterday, I may have done either the stupidest or the smartest thing ever in my whole life. The result remains to be seen. I’m nervous yet optimistic. Very optimistic. (Can’t say what it is right now, but y’all wish me luck.)

So, long about 10:00 last night, I had A LOT of stress and nervous energy to burn.

Before, I would have smoked a pack and a half of cigarettes, drank between a six-pack and a case of beer, took a Klonopin, eaten like a 4-piece with fries from Popeyes then half a birthday cake or whatever, then eventually crashed into a food/beer inducted coma. This is how I dealt with stress and nervous energy up until now. This is how I gained back all this weight after I lost it the first time.

Stress = stupid behaviors = gaining 100 lbs in less than six months.

Before, for example:

Time to do your taxes? Beer/smokes/food.
Fighting with someone? Beer/smokes/food.
Prepping for an interview? Beer/smokes/food.
Whatever? Beer/smokes/food.

BUT… last night, instead of beer/smokes/food, I walked around outside, up and down the block, for 10 minutes. That didn’t cut it. So I changed clothes and went to the gym.

I went to the gym.

I ran on the elliptical for 30 minutes.

I ran. Me. Not walked, ran.

I have never run more than 10 steps before in my entire life. Last time I remember entering a footrace was first grade, and I came in last.

I ran until I was literally pouring sweat, HR consistently between 150-170, then I got down on the floor and did pushups, situps, then jackknifes on the Swiss ball. Then my legs were shaky, so I packed it up and walked back home. (This is after walking my normal 3 miles a day, BTW.)

Then I took a shower, and went to bed.

No booze. No cigarettes. No food.

I’m 40 years old. This is not how my life has worked up to this point.

Does this mean I finally got it?

Does this mean it’s finally sunk in, it’s a permanent change? Does it?? I think so. I wish I knew.

--------------

Edited to add: And as a positive bonus, I was down 3 lbs on the scale this morning...haven't had that happen since October 2008.

--------------

A lil' update 7/7 ~ the really stressful thing (that I still can't talk about...yet)? Well, so far so good! If y'all could send some positive energy my way though, I sure would appreciate it.

Last edited by DCHound; 07-07-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: manifesting something exceptional in my life
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/HEALTHY

Height: 5"6

^5! I would say that is an awesome NSV! WTG!
Inkabetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Holy cow, if that isn't the crowning jewel of NSV's I don't know WHAT is! What phenomenal work, and I would definitely say that indicates a permanent change.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #4  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Wow.

That's an awful lot of nervous energy. Keep that up and you'll be Wonder Woman!

Seriously, that's awesome.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #5  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Ms DC!
It means that it feels natural to do something POSITIVE for your body rather than NEGATIVE when in times of stress.

Which, in my books, is actually MORE than a NSV -- it is a sign of a fundamental SHIFT in your thinking and your actions and in how you LOVE yourself ENOUGH to do something positive.

As for the AMOUNT of exercise this nervous bout released -- IMHO, TOTALLY normal. A dear friend whose mom passed away went for the longest run of her life that morning. My DH had the best training ride of his life (we got an unexpected renovation bill that was twice the estimate! He left the table as we were discussing it with the contractor, and got changed, and took OFF on his bike!!! I remember yelling after him "HON, are you coming BACK???" and he yelled "I. DON'T. KNOW!!!!!" --he did, but 3 hours later) last summer due to stress.

You pushed your limitations and discovered that you could do WAY more things than you thought possible physically. Which will carry over to your daily routine -- you've just set the bar HIGHER than you ever thought -- which IMHO is a great thing...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-02-2009 at 03:03 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Whatever it is that got that stress level raised I hope it turns out for the very best!!

Last edited by TaraLee; 07-02-2009 at 03:13 PM.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

NSV = Non Scale Victory -- something you've done that leaves you with a great sense of accomplishment and is unrelated to the numbers on the scale.

Reaching your first weight loss mini-goal = "scale victory"

Turning down a piece of birthday cake at the office when it happens to be your favorite kind and you really, really want it = NSV

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-02-2009 at 03:15 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #8  
Tammy73

S/C/G: 254/215/145

Height: 5'6"

DC Hound,

Like others have said, I think this is an AMAZING accomplishment.
It's been said a million times that if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
This time, you broke your old behaviours and patterns and did something different, so this time, the result was different.
Instead of waking up feeling hung over from beer, bloated from food and sick from cigarettes, you woke up feeling recharged, proud of yourself, and a desire to share your accomplishments with the rest of us.
These feelings/emotions (pride in one's accomplishments, willingness to share with others, recharged view on life) are some of the corner stones of increasing your self confidence.
You should be VERY proud of yourself.
It's difficult to change old behaviours, but once you do it once, it's much easier to do it a second time! You are well on your way my friend!
Congratulations!!!
Tammy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #9  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

What an awesome accomplishment. Turning to exercise (healthy behavior) instead of beer/smokes/food (unhealthy behaviors) to handle stress is a true milestone!

Not just a NSV, but a life-changing event!

WOW! WOW! WOW!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #10  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

Well that is simply awesome and definitely a great and exciting NSV.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's a victory all right. Not exactly what you would want to pinpoint and NAME it. But it's one big huge gigantic life altering VICTORY. And I am overwhelmed with joy for you.

What an incredible turn around for you. Your strength and determination is beyond admirable. And I am overwhelmed with joy for you.

Thank you for sharing this incredible story with us and showing us that change, and lots of it is possible.

And have I mentioned - I am overwhelmed with joy for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #12  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Wow, just wow. And good luck on whatever the event was that triggered all of this.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #13  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

That is a NSV in my book! Way to go!!!!!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #14  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

What a great response to all that stress DC! You've really turned your whole life around. It's a wonderful NSV.

I really hope that the incident that prompted this works out well for you. Good thoughts are with you!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #15  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

fanfreakingtastic!!!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote