3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   getting compliments (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/170244-getting-compliments.html)

Sunrose 04-27-2009 04:56 PM

I guess I am in the minority here. For the most part, I don't like people commenting on my looks, period. I don't like attention and if I had to have it, I would rather get it for something unrelated to my looks. However, if it comes from a very close friend or family member and it's sincere, then it's fine. I just hate when people that I hardly talk to or just say "hi" or "bye" or "good morning" to at work all of a sudden think it's okay to comment on my appearance. How is it their business? That said, I do try to be understanding and not let it bother me because I know that for the most part they are trying to be nice, and that counts for something. :)

shrinkingleah 04-27-2009 05:08 PM

I realize that some people would rather not mention weight at all, but it depends. a family member or close friend is welcome to say something if they actually think I look better or just good in general. I know that I was fat, hence why I decided to lose weight. I appriciate people noticing all the hard work I am putting in.

One of my dads friends would ask me EVERY time she saw me if I had lost weight when I had not. Sometimes even as my weight was climbing. It was pretty obvious that after I shook my head she wanted to say "Well, You should." She's a mean person in general so I didn't even worry about it. By the way, Now that I have lost close to 30 pounds, she hasn't asked if I've lost weight.

I think that it depends on the situation. If you think that the person will take it the way intended, say something. If you're not sure, best kept to yourself or saved for a more private conversation.

GirlyGirlSebas 04-27-2009 05:22 PM

I will gladly accept all compliments on my weight loss. I'm greedy like that.:D

JulieJ08 04-27-2009 05:34 PM

It's impossible to win. There have been many threads started by someone terribly upset because no one has said anything. Any many just as upset by any comment on their weight, because noticing at all is taken as meaning you must have looked just terrible before. While there are some who love to be gushed over, it's probably at least safe to avoid gushing and stick with a short and simple compliment.

BillBlueEyes 04-27-2009 07:00 PM

Matt - When I lost my weight some people called me aside privately and said I looked great - was the weight loss intentional?

They were concerned about great complimentary fanfare out of concern that a disease was taking me down.

TamiL 04-27-2009 08:24 PM

Bring em on!!! I'll take whatever I can get as far as compliments. It only means people notice me.

Thighs Be Gone 04-27-2009 08:38 PM

A chinese lady asked me last week if I had cancer. Oh my.

GirlyGirlSebas 04-27-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone (Post 2716469)
A chinese lady asked me last week if I had cancer. Oh my.

:yikes:

luvja 04-27-2009 09:04 PM

I like when people say something regarding my weight loss(it makes me feel like it's worth the hard work), but at the same time I'm not great with compliments, they make me a tad bit uncomfortable. I don't know why. I also don't know how to handle men hitting on me now, never happend before, it's new to me. I'm very uncomfortable with that, and don't really know how to respond to it. I probably make a fool of myself :lol:

Lori259 04-27-2009 09:23 PM

Compliments~Make me personally feel wonderful.
(As long as there good ones without trash added to ruin it for me LOL)
But some trash makes ya stronger ~So I guess I will take any!
hahahaha~Matt~I am happy you are getting compliments~you deserve them.
HUGS! ~Keep on keeping on~

Examples of compliment with trash:
I hate you Your a skinny BIT** LOL~
It is better than hearing that I am a fat one I guess LOL~
(That was a compliment from my only sister whom I love but fight with all the time! She is 5 years younger than me and a pain in my butt! She meant that one well BELIVE IT OR NOT but some could have took it badly ~Even from a relative~)

Lori259 04-27-2009 09:27 PM

OMG ~THIGHS~CANCER?
WOW~YOU LOOK SO HEALTHY IN Your before & your after pics~I guess she was just amazed you look like a dang beauty queen now~LIKE MRS. AMERICA !(which you know I think you was very pretty in before pics also!) She was definetly part of the "Jealous commitee" Placed to ask your secret for losing and to act concerned to get it ~LOL

Windchime 04-27-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhitePicketFences (Post 2715926)
"You look like you lost weight" ~ that's very cool with me.

The only thing I wouldn't like is a fuss that goes on too long. Partly because I am still fat.

Though when I was skinny, I was the same way. Appreciative comment on my looks ... good. In-depth analysis of my body going on at someone's wedding or funeral ... creepy! Older female relatives are often the ones to do it. My husband's grandmother will note everything down to the littlest detail. I had more of a tan last time she saw me, etc etc.

Compliments are great, but I agree with WPF that the in-depth body analysis makes me really uncomfortable, as if I'm being scrutinized. A simple, "Hey, are you losing weight? You look great!" is enough for me. I don't need the endless gushing or the probing questions (unless it's from someone who is truly wanting to know because they are using me as inspiration!)

I dunno. There is a lot of baggage about weight for me, so I like it from some people but not from others. I guess when there is a critical edge to the comments that follow the compliment that I don't like it.

I have to say, though--people are finally starting to notice that I have lost a few pounds. Mostly just family. I wish I had a shortcut to the "stages of weight loss" that someone posted a few weeks ago. It was hilarious, and I think I am starting to enter another phase.

Kae 04-28-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windchime (Post 2716545)
I wish I had a shortcut to the "stages of weight loss" that someone posted a few weeks ago. It was hilarious, and I think I am starting to enter another phase.

I think this is what you were looking for... :) I copied it below:

Prepare for a deluge. After the more observant people start noticing, the dimmer ones do eventually, too. Others are likely to have noticed already, but they might still trying to be tactful & they're still not sure how to raise the issue when they see you. Wait till you wear something new. Your haircut could do it, too.

It goes in phases. You could probably chart it, like early adopters & outliers:

1) The observant notice & say something.

2) The less observant notice & speak up.

3) The truly dim & tactless notice & have their say, coming up with remarkable things you'll likely want to share in the forums with us.

4) Even the self-centered notice.

5) It's a general topic of conversation at your workplace, school, church & etc. Sometimes you're in on it; sometimes you're not. But know that there's buzz out there about you.

6) A backlash begins. At this point, you look so good that you shake up the social pecking order. Some people start to feel threatened & competitive. Catty remarks may ensue. You may also want to share those here with us.

7) People get used to your appearance. They may forget what you looked like before. If a picture of you turns up from beforehand, people will marvel, but generally, the compliments & remarks will die down. (A big secret: You may actually miss them. You may wonder why they're not as frequent as before.) You may think you've been forgotten, but you haven't been. You have simply entered local lore at the office & etc. as a sort of phenomena: The girl (woman) who lost LOTS of weight. Your day will come again: Wait till New Year's resolution time.

Redflame 04-28-2009 12:07 PM

I would love a compliment, so if you have any that you dont like I will take hand me downs!

I can clearly see in my profile picture a difference in the last 3 months, but no one seems to say a thing. My DH has dropped 40 pounds he says, and honestly I think it looks more like 15.......so my 20 must look like 7????

loveDC425 04-28-2009 12:15 PM

I've been getting a lot of compliments lately- It makes me feel like all that huffing and puffing and complaining while i was exercising paid off. and that I should get back to more huffing and puffing