Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #1  
Triathlon chica

S/C/G: 270/182.5/??

Height: 5'6"

Default How often do you forget what size you are?

After spending my entire life only able to shop in the plus sizes, it's tough for me to get around the idea that I don't have to shop there any more!

For instance, I'm trying to get up the courage to sign up for a recreational kickball league, and I'm sitting here wondering what T-shirt size to get. Large? Medium? And why can't I try it on first! It's like these little things sometimes get me so stressed out.

Even in stores, I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not an XL anymore. Usually a M or L shirt will do it these days.
Athenawithheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I would have said never, but actually, I was going to order a t-shirt for a group I volunteer with off the Internet, and was automatically looking to see if it went up to a 3X or larger...then I realized, hey, I wear an 18/20 ~ I'm an XL/1X NOT a 3X...then I was so freaked out I didn't order one. I've been wearing 2Xs to the gym to exercise in and they float, but I'm still scared to order an XL or even a 1X off cafepress...how sad is that.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

When I needed a dress for my nephews wedding I automatically went to the large size department. The clerk tactfully informed me I was in the wrong department. I was actually able to buy a dress in a normal size. That was an outstanding moment! I still try things on, though because sizes vary so much from manufaturer to manufacturer

Last edited by bargoo; 04-03-2009 at 01:09 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #4  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

What's frustrating is that I don't know what size I am anymore, especially since sizes are different in every store and brand. At Lane Bryant I knew 18/20 was always going to fit. Now I have to try everything on...but hey I could have worse things to complain about. Right?

One more thing...I have to admit that I still feel out of place in the "normal" sized dept. I think the mind has to catch up to all the weight loss.

Last edited by daniela; 04-03-2009 at 01:18 PM.
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #5  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniela View Post
What's frustrating is that I don't know what size I am anymore, especially since sizes are different in every store and brand. At Lane Bryant I knew 18/20 was always going to fit. Now I have to try everything on...but hey I could have worse things to complain about. Right?

One more thing...I have to admit that I still feel out of place in the "normal" sized dept. I think the mind has to catch up to all the weight loss.
I'm the same way. I often try on clothes that are waaaaay too big. And if I get something from the "normal" sized side of the store, I look at it and think it's waaaay too small. I try it on and it fits, though.

One of these days my mind will realize that clothes on the normal side of the store fit now.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #6  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

It's hard sometimes (I'm not complaining but it's really a weird feeling!)...I feel like when I go into the "normal" size section that someone will bust out with a megaphone telling me to get my rear back to the plus size section lol So I try to keep a low profile when shopping and then I feel more like a drug dealer

I recently bought a few medium sized shirts...I was so surprised they fit! This was after I tried on a 1x on down while shopping with a friend.

I also will suck in my tummy and walk sideways to get by people when I don't need to. My husband laughs at me all the time. I can't break this habit...I've been trying to.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It took shopping a few times before I automatically went to plus size, or felt weird in the non-plus section, or felt that picking up a size 12 or 10 was futile. But I'm over it now Although, I was only plus size for about the last 5 years, so maybe that made it easier. But it was an adjustment at first.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #8  
Triathlon chica

S/C/G: 270/182.5/??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
It's hard sometimes (I'm not complaining but it's really a weird feeling!)...I feel like when I go into the "normal" size section that someone will bust out with a megaphone telling me to get my rear back to the plus size section.
YES this is exactly how I feel!

I went into The Express for the first time EVER, and I kept feeling like a clerk or somebody would tell me I'm in the wrong store. But, then some mediums and large tops fit. It was pretty mind-blowing.
Athenawithheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I still grab the wrong sizes. My husband is with me sometimes when I shop, and he says "Quit grabbing the larges" LOL!
It's habit still, even after maintaining this weight for a while.

And I feel like that too, where I am riffling through the mediums and size 8 pants, and expect someone to come up and say - "You need to be over here" (meaning the large sizes).
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #10  
One pound at a time...

I am still getting used to my new size as well. I bought a few t-shirts the other day and I was looking at them thinking "No way are those going to fit, they are too small" and after trying them on found they fit perfectly.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Yes, the very first time I went to the mall after losing a bit of weight, I experienced this. I went with my very fashionable babysitter and we were at Banana Republic. She saw this amazing cream colored coat and tried it on. I thought it was so pretty I reached to the back of the rack and put on the XL. She saw me in it and says really loud, "WHATHCA WEARING THAT BIG THING FOR?" I was embarrassed but you know, I was just so accustomed to getting the biggest size available.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 243/142/120

Height: 5'2"

I had the same problem in my closet this morning. Two of my pants are falling off and I can't wear them anymore. I looked at a pair from a couple of years ago (18/20) and thought for sure they wouldn't fit. Tried them anyway and they were fine. Then tried the sweater set that goes with them and while a little snug, it worked. I felt "wrong" all day to be in those sizes!

I will say though that I ordered a new coat yesterday. Late last year I got tired of my coat being too tight and it was so cold! I ordered a great coat from lands end. It is faux shearling and just so warm and cozy. When I started dieting I got kinda sad about that coat and how I hoped I would not be wearing it next year. Last night I noticed that the coat is on clearance for $39.99 so I broke down and ordered a petite medium in the same color I have now. I may hang that danged coat on my wall for inspiration all summer. I can't wait to wear it next winter!
Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #13  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

I haven't had this happen (yet) but talk about a VERY encouraging thread for someone just starting their weight loss journey!! I am smiling from ear-to-ear at all you confused *normal* girls --- good for you and i can't wait to join you
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Yep I still grab for the 5X and the size 30's. My husband laughs at me. I'm getting too small for my 2X's now! And my size 22 jeans do not stay up any more. I've come a long way!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #15  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

cfmama... you HAVE come a long way it's amazing!
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote