Old 03-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #1  

Default Dieting/exercising with a cold

I've come down with the latest *whatever*bug at work and one of my co-workers (who's also on a low carb diet) said he had to break the diet and eat a lot to get it to go away. I didn't think what I ate was important when fighting off a cold -- is it? I'd also heard that exercising would help since it raised your core temp -- any thoughts? I may go sit in the sauna for a while after workout to try to get this thing gone.

Thanks,

Barb
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If I'm sick I don't work out but I still try to watch what I eat- I find working out when sick just makes me feel really really tired.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #3  

Default working out sick

I too now have the same crap--thanks to my husband, who had it last weekend. And I get it on my scheduled vacation days, thank you very much.

I had the same thought--the body temp increase might help ease the congestion but a coughing fit and sore throat spell came on late this afternoon that nixed the idea of even going to the gym to lift weights. I also got several exercise DVDs in the mail today and thought about doing one of them. Yeah, well, maybe tomorrow.
ShihtzuX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

I had dental surgery tuesday and tried to work out today. My jaw hurt but I did it. BUT...in looking for soft food to eat I found 60 calorie tapioca pudding that tastes like the nectar of the Gods! I love it! Now that my mouth is healing though I know I can't buy it a lot because I will eat the whole package in one day.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Depending on your definition of dieting----if you are eating healthy there is no reason to go off of your diet. If you are depriving yourself of a certain food group then that may be a different story. There would be no reason to go off your diet if you are eating a balanced nutritional diet....that just does not make sence!

For workouts you are better off taking it easy. When you work out your muscles and tendons require energy to strengthen, rebuild and repair. It is too hard for your body to recoop from a virus at the same time.

Plenty of fluids, Rest, healthy foods, and for some people it helps to stay away from dairy products since it builds extra mucus for some
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm sick with something too, getting better though. I didn't adjust my eating as I feel I eat healthy enough, but I did sacrifice the working out. I just get TOO tired.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote