Old 03-30-2009, 03:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 370/320/190

Height: 5'7"

Question Which scale do you use?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I searched and couldn't find anything recent. You'd be surprise how many threads turn up when you just search "scale". :P

So anyway, I was wondering what scales you use, or if you could recommend any. I have a really cheap one from Walmart that fluctuates about 5 lbs every time I step on it. It wouldn't be uncommon for me to supposedly gain or lose 5 lbs within minutes with the scale I use. :P I'm having the hardest time weighing in or updating my weight, because I always have to double or triple check every few hours to make sure that is what I actually weigh. :/

So which ones do you recommend? I need something that can at least support my weight, and is pretty accurate, but that's all I'd need. Nothing too fancy.
fenderella5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread! I have access to a couple of bathroom scales (both belonging to my flatmate). One is electronic and the other is mechanical. I hear you about the fluctuations on the scale! The electronic scale (which is the one I use because the readout is nice and big and easy to see), I have to step on and off it about 10 times to get a reading because it gives weights that are 2-3lbs of each other every time I use it. It also tells me I'm about 8lbs heavier than the mechanical scale - I don't know which to believe!
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I do not use a scale anymore. I gauge my progress by my clothing size and how I look in the mirror. When I was younger I became so obsessed with the scale that I would refuse to eat for days if the scale said something negative. I ended up losing alot of hair and had no energy. At my age (44) I decided the best indicator was how I feel not what some stupid mechanical device tells me.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have a scale called Thinline from Sears I like. I also measure my bust, thighs, calves, waist and hips about once a month.

By the way, before investing in a new scale, you may want to try a new battery.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #5  

Height: 5ft6'

I use an electric scale. A few tips on weighing your self though. Make sure you are on a flat hard surface. if you have your scale on a carpet it can be wrong by as much as 100lbs. Crazy right? My scale is glass and the little legs under it are the weight reading thingys ( I'm sure thats the technical term ) and if I use my scale on my carpet I only weigh 185lbs. LMAO! Also pick one specific time opf day to weigh your self like in the AM because it is when you are on empty and you will only be weighing you and not your food. Your weight can fluctuate alot durring the run of the day because of water retention and the food you eat, as much as 10lbs depending on your weight.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

A couple of weeks ago I bought a $20 Taylor scale at Target. I hate it. You have to step on and off of it several times before it will give me a weight. If you weigh 2 or 3 times in a row, you get a totally different weight. I wish I had looked at Target's web site before buying. The customer reviews for the scale were bad. I am embarrassed to take it back now.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #7  
Getting healthy!

S/C/G: 275/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I don't know the weight capacity but I like my Healthometer digital readout scale. I got it for less than $30 at Walmart a couple years ago. I agree about the carpet thing, though! My previous apartment only had carpet and I would weigh in at around 175lbs (I was around 250 then). You also want to only weigh at the same time every day. I'm a first thing in the morning weigher, myself. Weighing yourself every few hours will only frustrate you. I know I weigh more right now than I did when I woke up 2.5 hours ago. Since then, I've worked out, drank 30ozs of water, and eaten breakfast, so I'm sure I'm up since weighing.

Good luck finding one you like!

~Onyx
enchantedonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #8  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I have a weight watchers scale I bought at walmart 3 years ago for I think $40 and it's a great consistent scale. It acted up on me once but I changed the battery & it worked like new Do try to make sure it's on a flat hard surface and not to move it around too much. If you move it a little and your floor is just a little uneven then your weight can read different.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I love any opportunity to rave about my scale! I am in LOVE with my scale! I bought the Tanita Large Capacity scale.

http://www.scalesgalore.com/pbath.htm#hd351

It's a little pricey at $85.00 (it was $75.00 when I bought it), but it is hands down the very best scale I have ever owned. It stores the reading of your last weigh in and shows it. It will store readings for up to five people. I never get a different reading, EVER. For me it was also important that it accurately weigh over 300 lbs. It has a 440 capacity.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #10  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I love any opportunity to rave about my scale! I am in LOVE with my scale! I bought the Tanita Large Capacity scale.

http://www.scalesgalore.com/pbath.htm#hd351

It's a little pricey at $85.00 (it was $75.00 when I bought it), but it is hands down the very best scale I have ever owned. It stores the reading of your last weigh in and shows it. It will store readings for up to five people. I never get a different reading, EVER. For me it was also important that it accurately weigh over 300 lbs. It has a 440 capacity.

I bought this scale also. I absolutely love it. Mine was about $70 but it is so worth it. It is accurate every time and never gives me weird readings, so I trust it. I Love it! Its worth the money...........make it a present to yourself for your weight loss journey.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I have a WW Scale. Its a great scale. The only time I have problems with it giving a perfect readout is if I'm standing too far forward on it. It logs your last 5 weights (also up to 5 people), records BMI, water %age, and other stuff. Pretty neat scale. I got it for around $30 at walmart.
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderella5678 View Post
I have a really cheap one from Walmart that fluctuates about 5 lbs every time I step on it. It wouldn't be uncommon for me to supposedly gain or lose 5 lbs within minutes with the scale I use. :P I'm having the hardest time weighing in or updating my weight, because I always have to double or triple check every few hours to make sure that is what I actually weigh. :/
Personally, I like the ones from the drugstore that only go up to 150 or the one @ Planned Parenthood that only goes up to 200 pounds.

All kidding aside, I do not have a scale here in the house. Well, not one that I weigh in on. I got one as a free gift for something or other & it's not awful, it's just that I have no floor to put it on.

I weigh in @ the gym on Tuesdays when me & my swimming buddy go swimming. I try not to, but also end up on the scale when we go Thursdays too, just out of curiosity, but I'm going to try & cut that out. I weigh in wearing my swimsuit, cap & goggles. I put the shower bag (that shampoo has to weigh something!) and the towel to the side.

I know that my doctor's office is really good about things like weighing in & taking your blood pressure & not charging you a fee for it--particularly if they know you (me!!) are morbidly obese with HBP & trying to correct both these things. They told me I could come in any time I wanted to get weighed & my BP checked, to just tell them at the desk that's what I want to do & the nurses can usually squeeze me in.

If your dr's ofc would be willing to do that, it would eliminate a lot of the guesswork for you. I will keep my fingers crossed.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:20 AM   #13  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I have an expensive'ish Taylor one. It goes up to 350 (I think... I got it when I was just above 300) and does body fat etc. I DON'T use that function however. It measures very accurately and you can get on it 10 times and it will give you the same number

DISCLAIMER: if the scale is bumped, jarred or moved you HAVE to reset it or the calibration is off. So I just remove the battery, put it back in and it's fine.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 370/320/190

Haha, that's funny, I just started putting my scale on a rug to see if it would balance it out any. My entire house is hardwood floor, so my scale must be really out of whack if it won't work anywhere else in my house. Oh and it's a dial scale, so it's in a definite need of an upgrade anyway.

I used to just go to the doctor or to the gym to weigh myself, but my family moved FAR out in the country, so that's not possible for me now, or at least I couldn't do it as frequently as I'd like.

I think I'm gonna have to go with something around the $30-$40 price range though, the WW scales sound nice. I'm also gonna have a morning routine to weigh myself, rather than just doing it when I happen to be in that bathroom.
fenderella5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I don't remember where I got my scale, but it is kind of crappy and can vary by as much as 10 lbs depending on my shifting and standing back/forward on it. So what I do is weigh myself every Monday morning before showering/eating, and write down the highest number I can attain on the scale. That way I don't 'trick' myself into flattery via lower numbers that I can always get to pop up. So I have a list of Mondays and highest numbers. I also write down the range, parenthetical, but the highest number is what is my starting weight, current weight, etc.

I should get a better scale, though ...

Edited to add -- I checked and mine's white and says health o meter. So maybe not crap?

Last edited by WhitePicketFences; 03-31-2009 at 10:24 AM.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote