Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11"

Default Interesting article: Fewer Calories Equals Less Weight, Regardless of...Content

I posted this on the 300+ forum, too, because I thought this article was interesting -- and it made me happy, because I'm focusing only on exercise and calorie counting but still eating things like french fries and bacon when I have "room" for them

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/588799

"Fewer Calories Equals Less Weight, Regardless of Carb, Fat, or Protein Content

from Heartwire — a professional news service of WebMD

Shelley Wood

February 26, 2009 (Boston, Massachusetts) — It may be one of the most commonsense observations ever to be validated in a diet study: people lose weight if they eat fewer calories, regardless of where those calories come from [1]. That's the upshot of a two-year study by Dr Frank Sacks (Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA) and colleagues, published in the February 26, 2009 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine..."
TheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

It makes sense that you lose weight regardless of content...but are you healthy? If I ate ice cream all day an stayed within my calories, sure I would lose weight (both fat and muscle) but I wouldn't be getting proper nutrients to fuel my body efficiently. That being said...I am all for having treats within reason (all things in moderation)
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post
It makes sense that you lose weight regardless of content...but are you healthy? If I ate ice cream all day an stayed within my calories, sure I would lose weight (both fat and muscle) but I wouldn't be getting proper nutrients to fuel my body efficiently. That being said...I am all for having treats within reason (all things in moderation)
The study is not saying it doesn't matter what you eat. It was saying it doesn't matter which diet you follow (Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, and so on). All of which are intended to be based on healthy foods.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
The study is not saying it doesn't matter what you eat. It was saying it doesn't matter which diet you follow (Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, and so on). All of which are intended to be based on healthy foods.
Ok cool I admit I didn't read the article because I didn't want to join the site
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:13 AM   #5  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Could you cut and paste a bit of the article (is that allowed)? I'd like to read it but belong to enough sites already lol.

I love calorie counting because it does mean nothing's excluded but it gives freedom of thought/responsibility to still make healthy choices.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yup, reduce those calories - create a calorie deficit and you will surely lose weight.

Okay, now the key is to find foods that work for you within that calorie budget. Foods that you will enjoy. Foods that will make it easier for you to stick to that calorie budget.

I find that the second I decided to count calories, my choices automatically improved drastically. Wanting to get as much *value* and bang for my buck for each and every precious calorie going down my throat. Think protein and fiber. Protein and fiber. VERY satisfying and lasting. Nutrient rich. Provides you with what you NEED and REQUIRE.

I think many who begin as finding space for the unhealth-ier stuff on a regular basis, will quickly find that those calorie just don't work out very well That those foods just don't satisfy them, leave them hungry and leave them clamoring for more - unhealthy stuff and slowly, but surely their *choices* will evolve.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 02-27-2009 at 06:15 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote