Old 01-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #1  
One Day at a Time

S/C/G: 305/299/175

Height: 5ft 7 in

Question Question about weight loss and plastic surgery

Hi Everybody,

I was wondering if anyone has lost 100+ pounds and not needed plastic surgery?

Is exercise alone enough?

Thanks
Michelle
mmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Exercise is not the answer to loose skin. There is no answer, unfortunately. Either you have loose skin when you are done, or you don't - and it's a matter of genetics, how old you are, and how long you have been overweight. Exercise will help the appearance of your muscles under the skin - so I highly recommend it (especially strength training).

Believe me, any loose skin I have is nothing compared to the bags of fat I used to have.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

There's a huge stickie on loose skin on the Body Issues area here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219

The short answer is that ... it depends.

What happens with your skin is going to be pretty much about you. Some of it is genetics. Some of it is how long you've been overweight. Some of it is your age. Some of it is how well you treat your skin. Some of it is exercise .... Etc.

There are just so many variables.

And there's the whole question of "need". Some people *need* plastic surgery in order to feel successful in their weight loss. Some people don't care about the loose skin as much and don't "need" to get rid of it.

Me? I will probably wind up having a tummy tuck because I will have some loose skin around my middle and I want to get rid of it. And I will probably have a breast lift because the girls are a big saggy and again because I want it. But I can honestly say that it's not something I think of in terms of needing. If I oculdn't have either for whatever reason, I would not be unhappy or feel like it was the end of the world or that my weight loss journey had been unsuccessful.

So the idea of "need' is also pretty flexible here.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

It's highly likely I'll have some loose skin when I'm all done with my weight loss; I have some now.

It's highly unlikely I'll ever have plastic surgery. I'm not fond of going under the knife and can think of about 100,000 more desirable things to spend my money on. If someone gave me a million bucks and I didn't have other uses for the money, maybe I would.

It's highly likely that I'll be very happy with the end results of my weight loss, in terms of my appearance and health. I am already happy with my current results.

It's highly likely that I will be one hot woman in my own mind (and my husband's, and probably in other people's) when I'm done with my weight loss. Heck, I already am

So yeah, I think it's entirely possible to lose 100+ pounds and not "need" plastic surgery--I sure won't need it.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Sign my name onto WarMaiden's post. I've lost the weight, I have the skin, I refer to it fondly as my sharpei, and I move on. Unless I become independently wealthy, I don't think I'll be having any kind of surgery.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Sign my name too! Sign my name too!

Do I have loose skin after losing 165 lbs? You betcha. Do I *need* plastic surgery. Not particulary. If it were free - money wise and pain wise and risk wise- yeah, then I might *need* it. But it's none of those. So I don't *need* it.

In clothing, I gotta tell you, I look fabulous. Yup, there I said it. Fabulous. And it doesn't bug me one bit. I won't be wearing a bikini anytime soon, mind you, but that's okay. I don't *need* to.

But really, in all seriousness, don't let the thought of some loose skin stop you one iota from losing the weight. Not a one. And as Meg once said, it's really stuck in my brain, something to the affect of - if you're that unhappy with the loose skin after you've lost the weight - you can always gain it back .

Believe me that won't be the case. There will be no need to do so. You'll see.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-02-2009 at 04:59 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #7  
FB

I'll probably want to do it, but it's completely unnecessary - I'm the type who gets Botox for a teeny tiny forehead wrinkle. I want the anti-gravity boobs I've never had and may get a tummy tuck. At this time the skin isn't much of an issue at all, I don't foresee it changing drastically. For me it would have to do more with confidence and body image - nothing that would be medically necessary.

I get a weird 'compliment' from people all of the time, when my trainer decides to announce I've lost 140+ pounds - they scrutinize me carefully and almost without fail tell me that you could never tell I was once heavier. I asked the first few people who said that what they meant and was told that I look really firm, like I've never experienced obesity. So with that and the way I look - I honestly don't think I need it - just want it. FWIW I don't need Spanx or a form of girdle either, even when wearing form fitting clothes.

If I didn't have the means to get surgery I honestly wouldn't dwell over it. It's seriously not a big deal. Losing the weight is worth it, totally priceless.

Last edited by FB; 01-02-2009 at 05:42 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
they scrutinize me carefully and almost without fail tell me that you could never tell I was once heavier. I asked the first few people who said that what they meant and was told that I look really firm, like I've never experienced obesity.
Yes. People tell me all the time I look like a person who's always been thin. They can't believe how firm I am.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #9  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I have the skin, I refer to it fondly as my sharpei, and I move on.
That is EXACTLY how I lovingly refer to mine too. It is an apt description, I'm afraid.

I will not have surgery - my loose skin is a part of who I am and my history. It is a reminder of how far I have come, and a reminder that I need to be vigilant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post

In clothing, I gotta tell you, I look fabulous. Yup, there I said it. Fabulous. And it doesn't bug me one bit. I won't be wearing a bikini anytime soon, mind you, but that's okay. I don't *need* to.
LOL - I feel the same way. I am happy with how I look in clothes (heck - even out of them). I am totally surprised that this 50+ chickie actually got her hourglass shape back after all those fat years

Last edited by CountingDown; 01-02-2009 at 06:07 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #10  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

With clothes on - I look pretty danged good. Do I still have bat wings? Yep. I just make sure I wear at least 3/4 sleeves on the scooter. Lemme tell ya...tank top + 40 MPH winds =

Even better than the enhanced self esteem thing....I feel HEALTHY! I can ride a bike for freaking miles and not even be tired. If surgery was free and painless I'd do it in a minute. But it ain't so I won't.

Don't let fear of extra skin stop you from becoming a healthier YOU!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I want anti-gravity boobs too!!

I will have loose skin. I will have plastic surgery. These things I have no doubt about.

Of course, I said that I would have breast reduction surgery when I was 16 and by the time I was 18, I changed my mind.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have loose skin but honestly I feel no need to have surgery. I really don't want to have any form of surgery if I can help it so I don't really see myself doing it but who knows, I may change my mind later on.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

I am still up in the air about this topic. I guess it all depends on how i look at goal. If i can live with it, then I wont bother risking the surgery. If it bugs me enouph, I might try to scrounge the money together some how. I am half way through and have a pretty saggy belly, but if i can hide it well in clothes and it doesn't bother me much (which i am hoping is the case) I would rather not have the surgery. I also have to keep in mind that i have had 3 kids, so its not like i would have had a six pack anyhow
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #14  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

I have what my friend calls Hi Helens. The fleshy skin under the arm. I HATE IT!!! I am in my early 30s and when we do a certain stretch exercise in aerobics I have to swing my arms and I don't like it. I would like to have it removed though I am concerned about a scar. I have wanted a tummy tuck because my son, who was a big baby, did a doozie on my belly plus I have stretch marks that can be eliminated by the removal of skin and I tell ya ladies that would be awesome! Not saying I would run out in a two piece bikini. I wouldn't do that even if I already had my idea body but it would be nice to look at my belly in private or even under my shirt and know that it won't flap out when I bend over (like it does now). I have been up to 310 pounds (my highest) to as low at 140 (my lowest and when I was battling anorexia and binging and throwing up) and everything in between so I am sure my skin has lost some of the elastic. I would also love a breats reduction. I am very top heavy and even though it gives me a beautiful shape since I have now lost weight and still losing, they sag and big saggy boobies are a pain in the bootie. I will for sure, without doubt get my breasts made smaller. The tummy tuck, I don't know as I have had two c sections and the doctor said a tummy tuck is like having another and I don't want another one which is my main reason for not having more kids plus it's painful and it's expensive (down here I have seen "cheap" ones for more than $5600) but I am getting my boobs pared down. It will be nice to shop for smaller, prettier, less expensive bras. The tummy tuck and underarm skin removal is up in the air. If my hubby wins the lottery or gets lucky playing stocks or whatever, then I might do the tummy tuck but they gotta give me super strong knock me out on my azz drugs before hand.
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #15  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I have the bat wings too under my arms right now lol and I know without a doubt I'll wind up caving in and having surgery to be rid of them after I reach goal....everything else seems to be doing ok but my arms drive me nuts!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote